The Student Room Group

Air cadets

I'm joining air cadets next month so I have a couple questions,
1) I'm planning to get my ears pierced in summer (seconds and a helix) and I'm going to have to keep them in for 3 months does anyone know if you are allowed to wear earrings there?
2) Are there holidays or do you do cadets over the holidays?
3) In air cadets how often do you wear the blue uniform, do you wear it more than the green one?
Reply 1
Original post by noor20862
I'm joining air cadets next month so I have a couple questions,
1) I'm planning to get my ears pierced in summer (seconds and a helix) and I'm going to have to keep them in for 3 months does anyone know if you are allowed to wear earrings there?
2) Are there holidays or do you do cadets over the holidays?
3) In air cadets how often do you wear the blue uniform, do you wear it more than the green one?

Not entirely sure about my answers but I used to be an air cadet so here is my best guess:
1. You're allowed stud earrings but I think it's earlobes only. You might not be able to do PT (physical training) until your piercings can be taken out.
2. There are holidays but you can choose to go on camps/exercises. It's worthwhile and only lasts a few days.
3. It depends on the squadron. Most squadrons wear working blues more often than MTP/DPM (greens).
Reply 2
thanks so much for the response. do you know by any chance when you usually start PT?
Reply 3
Original post by noor20862
thanks so much for the response. do you know by any chance when you usually start PT?

Probably ASAP as it's the summer. Most people join cadets around August where they begin with drill/marching and then do PT soon after.
Just to answer regs state studs less than 3mm in size one pair may be worn plain/discreet in nature.. or something along the lines of that, you may be able to tape your helix if your staff allow this. All earrings have to be taken out in some circumstances such as some natures of fieldcraft and adventure training. Most cadet squadrons don't have holidays other than over Christmas but as long as you inform squadron of your absence if you were to go on holiday that is accepted, staff know we have a life outside of cadets! And there are definetly lots of camps during the holidays. We wear our blue and green uniform of equal amount during the summer as we do a lot of fieldcraft but this varies squadron to squadron, blues are the main uniform for air cadets. Also PT doesn't really happen anymore through cadets... Most squadrons do sports which may involve a PT element but my squadron generally revolves around football or rounders or dodgeball and the other types of activity you would be doing would be adventure training and fieldcraft which usually happen on camps! Any questions let me know and I'm happy to help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sophiegaurdner4
Just to answer regs state studs less than 3mm in size one pair may be worn plain/discreet in nature.. or something along the lines of that, you may be able to tape your helix if your staff allow this. All earrings have to be taken out in some circumstances such as some natures of fieldcraft and adventure training. Most cadet squadrons don't have holidays other than over Christmas but as long as you inform squadron of your absence if you were to go on holiday that is accepted, staff know we have a life outside of cadets! And there are definetly lots of camps during the holidays. We wear our blue and green uniform of equal amount during the summer as we do a lot of fieldcraft but this varies squadron to squadron, blues are the main uniform for air cadets. Also PT doesn't really happen anymore through cadets... Most squadrons do sports which may involve a PT element but my squadron generally revolves around football or rounders or dodgeball and the other types of activity you would be doing would be adventure training and fieldcraft which usually happen on camps! Any questions let me know and I'm happy to help :smile:

Have you become an NCO yet? (Cadet here.)
Yes I am an NCO
Reply 7
Original post by sophiegaurdner4
Yes I am an NCO

OK then OP take Corporal's words over mine. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest