The Student Room Group

Should I do Combined Cadet Forces

I am a student in Y9 and my school is offering the Combined cadet forces to our year. I am a little interested in it but I do not know for sure what actually happens. Do you guys recommend that I sign up for it and what are its perks. Please also take into consideration that I am a larger teenager and not as fit as others my age.I have heard from many that programmes like cadets are full of intense training which require a lot of fitness-is this true?
Original post by js234
I am a student in Y9 and my school is offering the Combined cadet forces to our year. I am a little interested in it but I do not know for sure what actually happens. Do you guys recommend that I sign up for it and what are its perks. Please also take into consideration that I am a larger teenager and not as fit as others my age.I have heard from many that programmes like cadets are full of intense training which require a lot of fitness-is this true?

I would definitely recommend taking on CCF. I have been part of cadets for 5 years and it was one of the best decisions I made in terms of extra-curricular. Depending on the sections your school offers e.g Army, RAF, RN, Marines, BOC etc. I would look into the one you are most interested in by reading about them or asking your school.

CCF is mainly about being able to build your skills depending on your chosen area and allows to develop as an individual. Most people I know from CCF matured immensely because they became cadets and can lead to so many opportunities involving the forces.

There is physical activity involved especially when you go away on camps however please don't worry about your size as my contingent and CCF's from all across had people of all shapes and sizes. I'm sure that you will enjoy your experience and with commitment and enthusiasm, you will be able to thrive and have a great time.

Quick Reply

Latest