The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Michael Beaver
I think less of any religious person, christian, Jewish, Muslim..., because I cant help but think that they are fools for blindly believing in something so improbable. What religious people believe is always less likely than even the most far fetched scientific hypotheses which is why I have such a problem with it. Also I think it is incredibly arrogant of a person to think that they are so important that they must have a god who watches over them. I understand where this feeling comes from within myself and that its some uncontrollable mechanism in my brain.

I will also say that I wont refuse to be friends with somebody because they are religious but I automatically prejudge them because they have shown such lack of judgement - in my opinion.

You're an idiot.
kildare
You're an idiot.

Could you expand on that a little?
Reply 22
Basic Principles of an Islamic State:

1. The state should be a republic

2. A strong presidential figure (Amier) should be the executive power and command the confidence of the people. He should also be a just ruler who has a good knowledge of Islam and be elected by all adults.

3. A Consultative Council elected by all adults shoudl assist and guide the Amir. Every citizen has the right to criticise the Amir and his government and all reasonable means for the expression of public opinion should be made available.

4. Islamic government should essentially be government of consensus.

5. Muslims and non-Muslims should enjoy equality of legal and religious status.

Why you brought up Islamic terrorists when the reference was to 'Islamic States' I don't know, most would fall down on the 5th criteria anyway.
Reply 23
Michael Beaver
I think less of any religious person, christian, Jewish, Muslim..., because I cant help but think that they are fools for blindly believing in something so improbable. What religious people believe is always less likely than even the most far fetched scientific hypotheses which is why I have such a problem with it. Also I think it is incredibly arrogant of a person to think that they are so important that they must have a god who watches over them. I understand where this feeling comes from within myself and that its some uncontrollable mechanism in my brain.

I will also say that I wont refuse to be friends with somebody because they are religious but I automatically prejudge them because they have shown such lack of judgement - in my opinion.

...you deprived child
Reply 24
Michael Beaver
Could you expand on that a little?

To think less of people because they have faith in something which you don't understand is simply idiotic.
pugnacious
a religion which is misrepresented by fantics and terrorists who go against the essence of Islamic teaching.

now that wasnt very nice :frown:

heheheeeeeeee!!

ok ive gone crazy
Reply 26
kildare

2. A strong presidential figure (Amier) should be the executive power and command the confidence of the people. He should also be a just ruler who has a good knowledge of Islam and be elected by all adults.

3. A Consultative Council elected by all adults shoudl assist and guide the Amir. Every citizen has the right to criticise the Amir and his government and all reasonable means for the expression of public opinion should be made available.

Why you brought up Islamic terrorists when the reference was to 'Islamic States' I don't know, most would fall down on the 5th criteria anyway.

so, which states adhere to this?
Reply 27
kildare

Probably right. I'm just wracking my brains trying to think of a single Islamic State that upholds these even 10% of these lofty principles.
Reply 28
vienna95
so, which states adhere to this?

To all of it? None that I'm aware of.
Reply 29
kildare
To all of it? None that I'm aware of.

so its not just the fanatics then.
Reply 30
vienna95
so its not just the fanatics then.

No, it's the despotic rulers as well.
Reply 31
kildare
No, it's the despotic rulers as well.

are these the same 'barbarous' ones that Kilroy refers to in his 'racist' piece?
kildare
To think less of people because they have faith in something which you don't understand is simply idiotic.

Why is it idiotic? Just to say that it is doesn't explain why it is. I asked you for an explaination.

I understand exactly why people believe in religion. I also understand the feeling myself entirely and when I was a child I believed in religion to some extent. I think I really thought that there was such a thing as god and that I would go to heaven when I die. Then I learned a lot more about how people ended up on the planet. I then thought about why I think what I do and over time I realised virtually everything I think instinctively as a human cannot be trusted because of what exactly I am using to come up with these thoughts - my brain. This, like everyone else's brain, has evolved over millions of years. I was also brought up by humans who have affected the development of the structure of my brain by what they have taught me.

For you to believe in something, by the very definition of believe, doesn't even remotely make it true. I dont believe there is no god I am using some reasoned judgement to think about why people actually believe something so unlikely and I come to the conclusion that there probably isn't a god. In fact I expect the chances of me being incorrect here are extremely low.

Please dont call a first class university student an idiot.
Reply 33
vienna95
are these the same 'barbarous' ones that Kilroy refers to in his 'racist' piece?

Yea. It's just a pity about the other 45 or so lines :frown:
Reply 34
Michael Beaver
Why is it idiotic? Just to say that it is doesn't explain why it is. I asked you for an explaination.

I understand exactly why people believe in religion. I also understand the feeling myself entirely and when I was a child I believed in religion to some extent. I think I really thought that there was such a thing as god and that I would go to heaven when I die. Then I learned a lot more about how people ended up on the planet. I then thought about why I think what I do and over time I realised virtually everything I think instinctively as a human cannot be trusted because of what exactly I am using to come up with these thoughts - my brain. This, like everyone else's brain, has evolved over millions of years. I was also brought up by humans who have affected the development of the structure of my brain by what they have taught me.

For you to believe in something, by the very definition of believe, doesn't even remotely make it true. I dont believe there is no god I am using some reasoned judgement to think about why people actually believe something so unlikely and I come to the conclusion that there probably isn't a god. In fact I expect the chances of me being incorrect here are extremely low.

Please dont call a first class university student an idiot.

Ever think of leaving the box?
Michael Beaver

Ok...im not going to call you an idiot for that...but...not all 'religious people' blindley follow religion. I kinda agree with what you’re saying, simply because i don’t believe in organised religion, in the sense you are dictated by religious leaders into doing things....
...But that doesn’t mean that if you are muslim, jewish or christian, in the sense you believe in one God you are being brainwashed because that isn’t entirely the case. I see religion as something personal, its private i dont believe in going to worship in places because 'it’s the house of god'....because realistically its JUST a building, what’s the difference between you’re house and lets say a church?
There are a lot of valuable things you can get out of religion and it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to follow it, it could just be philosophical stuff or whatever...but you also have to be careful about not falling into their trap and becoming an obsessive fanatic :smile:
Reply 36
Michael Beaver, what is your definition of religion?

Your recent posts suggests that it is extremely narrow…
kildare
Ever think of leaving the box?

OK you just keep on trying to insult me and enjoy your pointless life following the words that another man has written. God didn't write the bible or the Koran it was written by other humans.

If you want to have a purposeful life think for yourself.
Reply 38
Michael Beaver
OK you just keep on trying to insult me and enjoy your pointless life following the words that another man has written. God didn't write the bible or the Koran it was written by other humans.

If you want to have a purposeful life think for yourself.

I don't follow any creed, I'm agnostic. I'm able to think enough for myself to acknoweldge that atheism is just as much of a leap of faith as theism or any other belief (unless you actually KNOW there is no God). Hence why I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think less of anyone with faith in anything (an incredibly personal thing).
Shay
Michael Beaver, what is your definition of religion?

Your recent posts suggests that it is extremely narrow…

I dont just think religion is misguided I think believing in anything that is physically unrealistic is wrong. You have to think why you believe these things without any proof.

Latest

Trending

Trending