The Student Room Group

Depression- doctors.

Doctors are known to be very respected after their hard work and commitment into helping a patient. However, we all know that despite this, doctors are famous for being depressed. If you were a doctor do you think you would also be someone suffering from depression or would you be suitable to deal with it? please express your ideas and thoughts that are relevant.
Reply 1
I think everyone would. It's only human to feel depressed when your surrounded by suffering...

I know a lot of them have to disassociate themselves to try and stop themselves getting like that. I've a doctor friend of mine say some really quite cruel jokes that I've been 'like wow' and they've found it hilarious and you would have thought they would be the ones sensative to stuff like that. I think a lot of it is mid over matter and you have to make fun of it to deal with it. But ultimatly I think everyone would feel affected by it in some way or another.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ruto
Doctors are known to be very respected after their hard work and commitment into helping a patient. However, we all know that despite this, doctors are famous for being depressed. If you were a doctor do you think you would also be someone suffering from depression or would you be suitable to deal with it? please express your ideas and thoughts that are relevant.

Preparing for an interview? :tongue:
Reply 3
Citalopram baby!
Original post by Beska
Citalopram baby!

If I remember correctly, Citalopram isn't really used anymore due suicide risks. I'll check with the psych registrar tomorrow.

To the OP: The GMC and occupational health are very understanding of mental health issues, and helping you cope with it and your workload. Be advised though what they really really don't like is you hiding the condition and then having a breakdown. If you do have mental health issues that are current then let any uni you go to know, they're really helpful and compassionate :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by winter_mute
If I remember correctly, Citalopram isn't really used anymore due suicide risks. I'll check with the psych registrar tomorrow.

I've seen it prescribed quite a bit. :dontknow:

e: Unless you are talking about it not being prescribed relatively recently.
Reply 6

Citalopram is used widely for depression & anxiety/OCD/eating disorders etc.
The latest NICE guidance notes for depression in adults SSRIs including Citalopram are less toxic in overdose so may be better in people with suicidal intent.

The 'suicide risks' idea (or increased frequency of suicidal thoughts!) might come from something about use in children/adolescents or manic switching in bipolar depression management without mood stabilization..?

Ruto

If you were a doctor do you think you would also be someone suffering from depression or would you be suitable to deal with it? please express your ideas and thoughts that are relevant.

I don't think I suffer from depression, no.

Coping strategies probably include:
- Black humour (!)
- Emotional detachment / ability to intellectualize it as a job at times
- Outside interests - I also quite like not being at work ;-)
- Support network of both medics & non medics to rant to

In the job when I was arguably the most susceptible to depression (from transferrence & rubbish things happening like the completed suicide of one of my firm's inpatients whilst on leave) I probably felt the most emotional supported with good 'housekeeping' on the firm such as having a weekly 1:1 'supervision' with my consultant psychiatrist where we talked through things that bothered me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Elles
Citalopram is used widely for depression & anxiety/OCD/eating disorders etc.
The latest NICE guidance notes for depression in adults SSRIs including Citalopram are less toxic in overdose so may be better in people with suicidal intent.

The 'suicide risks' idea (or increased frequency of suicidal thoughts!) might come from something about use in children/adolescents or manic switching in bipolar depression management without mood stabilization..?

The suicide risk I was mentioning was more compulsion than overdose toxicity. And you're right it's children and adolescent use IIRC.
Reply 8
The suicide risk I was mentioning was more compulsion than overdose toxicity. And you're right it's children and adolescent use IIRC.

<tangent>

Spoiler

</tangent>
(edited 13 years ago)
Back on topic:

Stephen Fry did a really good documentary on Bipolar disorder and in it he interviews a GP that had several major Manic psychotic episodes, she describes how her workload changed to prevent these happening and the support she received. It was on youtube not too long ago, check there OP

To the OP: The GMC and occupational health are very understanding of mental health issues, and helping you cope with it and your workload. Be advised though what they really really don't like is you hiding the condition and then having a breakdown. If you do have mental health issues that are current then let any uni you go to know, they're really helpful and compassionate :smile:

No it's used, i've counter signed enough of it when adminstering it to know that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending