The Student Room Group

Compelling reasons. Claiming back years for tution fee

Has anyone ever applied ?

So I’ve done
3 months in 2018. Then another 4 months in 2019. Then September 2019 I did a foundation year. Then 2020 ( my dad passed away and I was depressed) I did 2 years in uni then quit couple months before finishing due to grief and stuff which I told my doctor about. Now I’m in a different course which I’m going into year 2.

I’ve obviously done so many years and until 2020 every year was a different degree course ( silly I know but I just didn’t know what to do). I’ve finally found my course.

I’ve basically done 7 years in uni however not full years like I said 2 courses I dropped out early on. So obviously I am not entitled to tution fee since 2020. In 2020 I used my own money to my fees however since then I’ve been using the maintance loan.

I want to apply for compelling reasons due to me dropping out in 2021/2022. Which was grief. My doctor has it on notes I was given antidepressants and therapy 2021 January however the grief depression has lasted years obviously doesn’t go away quick however I dropped out 2022.

What can I say to get any years back in uni for tuition fee. And what years can I claim back? I stopped getting tution few in 2020.

Pls help. I barely work and reply on maintance for living costs however because I use it to pay my tution fee I don’t have anything to myself.
Original post by ndkndk
Has anyone ever applied ?

So I’ve done
3 months in 2018. Then another 4 months in 2019. Then September 2019 I did a foundation year. Then 2020 ( my dad passed away and I was depressed) I did 2 years in uni then quit couple months before finishing due to grief and stuff which I told my doctor about. Now I’m in a different course which I’m going into year 2.

I’ve obviously done so many years and until 2020 every year was a different degree course ( silly I know but I just didn’t know what to do). I’ve finally found my course.

I’ve basically done 7 years in uni however not full years like I said 2 courses I dropped out early on. So obviously I am not entitled to tution fee since 2020. In 2020 I used my own money to my fees however since then I’ve been using the maintance loan.

I want to apply for compelling reasons due to me dropping out in 2021/2022. Which was grief. My doctor has it on notes I was given antidepressants and therapy 2021 January however the grief depression has lasted years obviously doesn’t go away quick however I dropped out 2022.

What can I say to get any years back in uni for tuition fee. And what years can I claim back? I stopped getting tution few in 2020.

Pls help. I barely work and reply on maintance for living costs however because I use it to pay my tution fee I don’t have anything to myself.

Hi there, We an consider further funding for another course based on Compelling Personal Reasons. You’ll need to send a letter to us detailing your Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is:

- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from HEP on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, We an consider further funding for another course based on Compelling Personal Reasons. You’ll need to send a letter to us detailing your Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is:

- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from HEP on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
- Death Certificate
- A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Angela

Hi, what years could I possibly get back funding
2018- left after 3 months due to depression.
2019- left after 5 months due to similar thing
2019 September- completed a year foundation.
2020- dad passed away however managed to complete a year
2021- left the course towards the end due to grief

Now I’m in going into my second year of a new course.
Original post by ndkndk
Hi, what years could I possibly get back funding
2018- left after 3 months due to depression.
2019- left after 5 months due to similar thing
2019 September- completed a year foundation.
2020- dad passed away however managed to complete a year
2021- left the course towards the end due to grief

Now I’m in going into my second year of a new course.

Hi there,

You would need to provide the evidence you can get and send to us as mentioned above, and the team will review and confirm if it can be accepted or not for CPR.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

You would need to provide the evidence you can get and send to us as mentioned above, and the team will review and confirm if it can be accepted or not for CPR.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi, I only have evidence of incomplete year of study due to mental health from doctor after I was not allowed tution fee. Does this count though? Or Isit only when I was allowed tution fee
Original post by ndkndk
Hi, I only have evidence of incomplete year of study due to mental health from doctor after I was not allowed tution fee. Does this count though? Or Isit only when I was allowed tution fee

You would need to send your evidence to us and the team will review this and confirm if it's been accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending