The Student Room Group

NY Times writer refuses to hire superbly qualified babysitter, because he's male

Scroll to see replies

I wouldnt hire a man either. The only bloke I'd want changing, cleaning or seeing my daughter naked is the father (or simply family).
Cant say it would bother me too much but fair enough, if she's allowing someone into her house she should choose who she feels more comfortable with.
Reply 22
Original post by Rancorous
if you want a cleaner for female changing rooms, and the best cleaner is a man should you hire him?

if you want a waiter for an italian restaurant should you hire the chinese guy even though he's the best waiter?

there are cases when you can discriminate

I see your point but its not the same, he has childcare experance and has at some point taken care of girls as well as boys.
Reply 23
Personally as a male, I would also feel uneasy with another male looking after my young daughter, what happens if she needed a nappy change? I personally would prefer a female.
Not so much of a big deal when they are older 7-8+.
Original post by F i s
The fact that you have no issue with a guy being discriminated when his qualifications are perfectly suitable.

You need to learn how to read.

I said "What makes you think I'm against 'sexism'?"
Reply 25
Original post by Antonia87
I wouldnt hire a man either. The only bloke I'd want changing, cleaning or seeing my daughter naked is the father (or simply family).

Original post by sete
Personally as a male, I would also feel uneasy with another male looking after my young daughter, what happens if she needed a nappy change? I personally would prefer a female.
Not so much of a big deal when they are older 7-8+.

but again, you would have a female clean your son? plus its not like no female ever commited a crime with a child as part of it
Reply 26
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

OKOK, so you're for sexism but surely you probably are in greater favour of male discrimination than female/
Get real. She has no legal obligation to let anyone, male or female, in her home much less provide them with a job. This is just her choice enforced by her alone unlike the government prohibiting women from the frontline or gays from giving blood.
Reply 28

ok your not against sexism, in that case women have no place in uni so get back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich
Original post by DOA
but again, you would have a female clean your son? plus its not like no female ever commited a crime with a child as part of it

Yeah, but men still far outweigh the numbers. The fact is, men are more likely to be paedophiles than women, and men are more likely to display violent, or predatory sexual behaviour than women.

Until those facts change, I wouldnt want a man watching my daughter (or son, actually). I've just asked my boyfriend this and he agrees.
Original post by DOA
ok your not against sexism, in that case women have no place in uni so get back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich

You know, if you'd asked, I'd have responded with how I think there's always going to be certain professions which are generally more suited to one sex or the other, and gone on to say something about women of childbearing age and how age is as much a factor as sex and so on..

but with that statement you just made, you'd be too stupid to understand it.
Original post by F i s
OKOK, so you're for sexism but surely you probably are in greater favour of male discrimination than female/

No. Stop trying to make inferences you can't.
Reply 32

You ****ing creep.
Yeah.. I don't see why a man would want to become a babysitter. I'm not saying he's done anything wrong, there's no evidence to suggest that but I just wouldn't feel comfortable. When it comes to children you have to go with your gut instinct - whether you feel you can justify that or not. And it's no big deal.. yes it's sexist but I'm sure the male population will be able to live with the fact that if they become babysitters they might not get that much work. God knows women have to deal with the same feeling in a lot of jobs too which is even less justified.
(edited 13 years ago)
It is discrimination. Whether that is acceptable or not is a different matter. Societies tend to have a strange idea of when discrimination is or isn't acceptable. Of course, one could construct a statistical argument that says that because men commit more child-sex crimes then it is safer to employ a woman, but one can use that argument to justify a small business owner only employing white workers because they are statistically less likely to commit crime than black ones. We seem to have no problems in allowing insurance companies to use a similar style of discrimination.

However, I don't really think that the writer in question ever got anywhere near such a statistical argument as she was just acting out in accordance to an ingrained series of social norms that state that childcare is women's work and that men cannot see naked female children without having sexual thoughts, neither of which are correct.
Reply 35
You know, if you'd asked, I'd have responded with how I think there's always going to be certain professions which are generally more suited to one sex or the other, and gone on to say something about women of childbearing age and how age is as much a factor as sex and so on..

but with that statement you just made, you'd be too stupid to understand it.

but that doesnt mean men/women cant do a woman/man suited professions. The statement I jsut made was a responce to the fact that you dont care about sexism so therefore you must not mind that.
Reply 36
No. Stop trying to make inferences you can't.

I can infer as I wish. There is not a clear-cut argument to your case so you cannot uphold any validity in your accusations of being pro-sexism without sustaining some element of partial sex discrimantion. :smile:
Yeah because women cannot be paedophiles!!!! little Teds nursery!
Fact of the matter is the UK job market is feminised- look in the job centre/job pages and its all 'women only' carers or 'waitresses wanted'.
Original post by DOA
but the man was the best candidate, he had lots of experance and fantastic references from other employers so the only reason she didnt trust him because hes male

If she doesn't trust him then she shouldn't hire him. Reason doesn't matter for this job.
Reply 39
Original post by ChemistBoy
It is discrimination. Whether that is acceptable or not is a different matter. Societies tend to have a strange idea of when discrimination is or isn't acceptable. Of course, one could construct a statistical argument that says that because men commit more child-sex crimes then it is safer to employ a woman, but one can use that argument to justify a small business owner only employing white workers because they are statistically less likely to commit crime than black ones. We seem to have no problems in allowing insurance companies to use a similar style of discrimination.

However, I don't really think that the writer in question ever got anywhere near such a statistical argument as she was just acting out in accordance to an ingrained series of social norms that state that childcare is women's work and that men cannot see naked female children without having sexual thoughts, neither of which are correct.

smartest responce to this thread + rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending