The Student Room Group

Middle-class schoolboy, 12, hangs himself after 'bullies taunt he spoke too politely'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SparksInTheSky
Teachers can actually do a lot more than they currently do, they just need to be trained to recognise the signs of bullying.

I've been in classes where bullies have been stealing kids' stuff, calling them names etc. literally right in front of the teacher and the teacher has just ignored it, or taken it as 'teasing'.

It's actually not that hard to spot the odd one out in a class of kids. They'll be the kid who's on their own, the one who always gets picked last for teams, who, as in this case, has an accent different to the other kids, is the only black kid, has obviously never heard of make up etc. These kids need to be recognised as vulnerable, kept an eye on. Teachers need to take a hard line if they see anything happening, and help the kid to get more involved with their social group. I'd love to see a school one day that put on self-esteem/social skills classes, which is often what a lot of bullied kids lack.

But of course, teachers need the freedom, money and training to be able to do this stuff.

Yeah while most teachers are generally inept/turn a blind eye there are some amazing teachers that come down hard on bullies but their "powers" don't extend very far. At my school there was a notorious bully who hardly ever turned up but when he did he'd come in stinking of weed, piss and BO and just bully the easy targets (he came from a rough family with a reputation from a rough estate otherwise smelling like that would have got him bullied). One day a teacher caught him doing it and called him out in front of the class... You could see how small the bully felt.

Problem is everyone in his class (including me) was constantly moaning to the teachers to have him move class or be excluded but the majority of teachers would just hand you an "incident form" to fill in and you'd never hear of anything else.

The bully obviously didn't care about his own education and he was detrimental to everyone around him. He even brought in a knife one day... No idea why he wasn't removed. I guess they see it as "but we can't just kick him out then leave him" and while that's understandable its frustrating that they take that stand point at the cost of several other peoples well being.
Reply 121
Original post by jiayi930829
Why not in America or Israel? I'm afraid I am not seeing your point.

Just how kids treat teachers and sometimes even thier parents.
Reply 122
Original post by .Ali.
It's comments like this that make this problem socially unacceptable to talk about. Have you ever been depressed, Yawn11? Have you ever felt like you'll never feel any other emotion again, like you're already dead inside? Like you're a burden on everyone around you, and the world would be better off without you? Lived every waking moment in internal agony? I'm guessing you'll answer 'no', and in that case, don't talk about something you know absolutely nothing about.

At this point I knew your post would be a fail. Be careful of assumptions.

Yes, I have felt down and depressed (LIKE MOST PEOPLE IN LIFE), everyone goes through difficult times.

At least I had a genuine reason for being down (MY DAD DIED 3 YEARS AGO). But that's life, everyone goes through hardship. My whole future changed and it wasn't easy but slowly I've come to accept I'll have to live the rest of my life without him.

And I keep in mind that there are people so much more worse off.
Original post by .Ali.

"The charity Depression Alliance estimates that each year there are around 19,000 suicide attempts by UK adolescents whilst more than 2 million children attend GP's surgeries with some kind of psychological or emotional problem."

"As a society, people aren't taught how to express anger, so we internalise it. Directing anger inwards is a cause of depression.

Targets eventually arrive at a situation where the internalised anger is so great that, like a pressure cooker, some release of the pressure is needed. Rather than resort to violence against others, the target of bullying (usually a person of high integrity) is most likely to direct the violence onto themselves, thus self-harm and attempted suicide. Compare this noble act with the cowardice and thuggery of the bully. "

http://www.bullyonline.org/stress/selfharm.htm if you want to read more.

Some facts:
At least 16 children commit suicide because of bullying (the true total could be much higher)
At least 19,000 children attempt suicide - one every half hour
Suicide is now the number one cause of death for 18-24-year-old males
Half of university students showed signs of clinical anxiety whilst more than 10% suffered from clinical depression.

Oh, and just so you know, depression is an ILLNESS. It's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Would you say someone with diabetes is "weak"? They have an imbalance, just of something different.

Well done, you managed to try and educate through a quick Google search. I still don't see what this should change my point of view in anyway?

so yeah people get depressed from chemical imbalance, there are drugs available to counter that imbalance.

What I can't stand is people diagnosing themselves with depression without seeking professional diagnosis.
Original post by .Ali.

A third of people will have depression at some point in their lives.

So? A third of people don't kill themselves. Why did you even quote me?
Original post by .Ali.

It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't remember saying it was.
Original post by .Ali.
Would you say I am weak minded, Yawn11? I have OCD and Generalised Anxiety Disorder. I used to have clinical depression, and yes, I developed it after being bullied. Does that make me weak in your eyes?
I thought you were weak-minded before this, but yeah sure, it does.
Original post by .Ali.

It's ignorance like this that makes mental health problems get swept under the rug, and then people don't know where to turn to. It's the same as every other illness, and society needs to start viewing it as such.

Only in western culture, perhaps you should do research on that. People on the other side of the world have A LOT more reasons to be depressed. Yet the percentage of depression is a lot less.
Original post by .Ali.

I'm not trying to insult you, but I am quite offended at your ignorance.

You couldn't even if you tried darling.
Original post by .Ali.

Sincerly, a former depressive.

Good for you, and well done for not killing yourself. Not that it would make a difference to me.

My post was based on suicide, not depression. So I really don't understand why you quoted. I studied depression in psychology, I don't need/ want any further education on the matter.

The irony of your post is that all it suggests to me is you're the ignorant one. But coming from the likes of you I'm not even surprised.

I really can't figure out why you quoted me, is it ebcause suicide correlates with depression? Even then, you didn't even argue a case, just copied and pasted irrelevant stuff. Seriously go educate yourself.

Well done for conquering your depression, enjoy the rest of your life.
Original post by Yawn11
Yes I do! Many are bullied every single day and it usually DOESN'T result in suicide, because most people are smart enough to know that is not the answer.

Here is the harsh reality:

In most cases, suicide is carried out by the weak-minded.

Which is why I pity them, they wasted their life and hurt the one's that actually care for them. I've nothing else to say on the matter.

I don't think you understand depression at all.
That's awful. I used to get teased for having a posh accent but it was never as bad as that. I'm guessing it was a bit more than just taunting if it pushed him to suicide. I mean, he's only twelve! Why didn't anyone do anything about this? There's a serious problem with teachers dealing with bullying properly in schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending