The Student Room Group

When will gays be able to show public affection comfortably?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Better yet, we could eradicate bigots. The world would be a much better place without irrational hatred.
Hopefully in my lifetime.
In British society there is a slight undercurrent of homophobia in a lot of male banter. Its one of the darker sides of the Anglo-Saxon male psyche, as it seems to be common in Australia too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Personally I'm not one for PDAs whether it's with a guy or a girl. The occasional kiss goodbye or arm around is about as far as I go; I certainly wouldn't sit there snogging someone's face off in public, possibly with the exception of on a night out in a dark corner somewhere :wink:. I just don't think behaviour that could be considered to have a sexy/ romantic undertone is appropriate really; someone's gran ain't gonna want to see that.

I've quickly kissed girls in public before and never really noticed that much of a reaction that you'd think different from if I was kissing a guy. I think it's viewed as a bit more acceptable for girls, even if guys don't find it attractive, and I feel sorry for gay men who can't do the same if they want to.

I think some of the homophobic attitudes that have been voiced on this thread already unfortunately show that gay people still have some distance to go before being completely accepted by society.
Reply 44
The problem is that to heterosexual people, homo-sexuals showing affection is bizarre, so it will always be considered out of the ordinary.

Not that I mind gay couples, they can do what they like. However some who make out in public seem to be doing it as a statement rather than because they genuinely want to. Overly making out in public should really be reserved for the 14 year- olds who have just discovered kissing... and even then..
Depends on what country - cetainley not for some time in the US, what with its vicious religous conservatism and such. 40% of the population believe the Earth is less that 10,000 years old and that imples strict belief in the Bible.

The stigma is becoming politically incorrect in other developed countries like Britain, so I think it will omly be a couple of decades until the more rational part of society start to acept it. Gay hate is still too strong for me to foresee it diminishing to a state similar to that of mixed-race couple hate.

I think perhaps gays need to rebrand themselves and not seem like such fairies otherwise they will prolong their ridicule.
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
When do you think a gay couple will be able to walk down the majority of streets in Britain, hand-in-hand or showing reasonable displays of affection without looks, comments or even violence?

Just like how a mixed race couple can now do this in the majority of streets.

im just afraid if a gay couple starts kissing, then they will start having anal sex in the middle of the street. cos they think things like that :K::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:
Reply 47

:curious:
Reply 48
Original post by air-ninety-one
im just afraid if a gay couple starts kissing, then they will start having anal sex in the middle of the street. cos they think things like that :K::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone::colone:

Don't be stupid. :hand:
Reply 49
Original post by bananaterracottapie
10% of people are blates ginger and nobody bats an eyelid >: (

I belong to the 'daywalker' (i.e. auburn/copper) caste of redheads, and the level of verbal abuse I experience even here in Cheltenham is nothing short of appalling.
Original post by TheRevolution
Depends on what country - cetainley not for some time in the US, what with its vicious religous conservatism and such. 40% of the population believe the Earth is less that 10,000 years old and that imples strict belief in the Bible.

The stigma is becoming politically incorrect in other developed countries like Britain, so I think it will omly be a couple of decades until the more rational part of society start to acept it. Gay hate is still too strong for me to foresee it diminishing to a state similar to that of mixed-race couple hate.

I think perhaps gays need to rebrand themselves and not seem like such fairies otherwise they will prolong their ridicule.

I think perhaps muslims need to rebrand themselves and not seem like such terrorists otherwise they will prolong their ridicule. :rolleyes:
Reply 51
Hopefully never

Don't want children see the disgusting sight!
Reply 52
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
When do you think a gay couple will be able to walk down the majority of streets in Britain, hand-in-hand or showing reasonable displays of affection without looks, comments or even violence?

Just like how a mixed race couple can now do this in the majority of streets.

50 years? Maybe a bit more.
I've always felt perfectly happy to act as a couple with my previous partners in London. In Norfolk it's a bit different, you have to judge the situation. I wouldn't in Great Yarmouth but in Norwich I'd feel a lot happier. Saying that I dislike PDAs a great deal so when I say "acting as a couple" I mean an arm around the shoulders or a hug rather than making out on the tube or something. Not something I'd ever feel comfortable doing whether I was gay or straight.
Reply 54
When people stop being prejudiced and ignorant.

Which means... probably never. :s-smilie:
Reply 55
Original post by Lewroll
I think a tolerant society is the way forward. Hopefully in the future we will all love each other and get along. We are all humans after all. Peace out.

EDIT: Hey guys why ae you negging me, im just trying to work towards a better community. :frown:

Lmao at all the neg rep you're getting :console: dw I'll give you a thumbs up
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Uzzy?
Lmao at all the neg rep your're getting :console: dw I'll give you a thumbs up

Gosh thanks, TSRians can be so mean sometimes, and for no reason at all.
Reply 57
Original post by Uzzy?
Lmao at all the neg rep you're getting :console: dw I'll give you a thumbs up

Originally, he made some crappy gay joke and consequently got loads of negative reputations. So then he edited his post to something more friendly.

:p:
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Go home gayboy.

:lolwut:

Seriously. "Go home gayboy?".

Abit of originality....please.

:mob: Now, where did those homosexuals go?
Reply 59
Original post by The_question
:lolwut:

Seriously. "Go home gayboy?".

Abit of originality....please.

:mob: Now, where did those homosexuals go?

I'm waiting for you to turn around, cutie. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending