The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didnt like Durham when I visited - just looked like an extension of the public school system.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've been there i few times and its my first choice for chemistry, collingwood is good, and quite near geography i think.

The town is fairly small with a large cathederal, but it has all the usual shops and a third of the population of the town is students so there are lots of facilities.

All the colleges are nice, there arnt many en suite rooms anywhere, but collingwood seems to havre more than most, i've got n offer from st aidens which also looked quite good. University college seems to have lots of applicatins but i think only cos of its percieved prestiege

In sum ways it is a bit liuke a public school, there are a higher percentage than most of private school students but it seemed ok to me.

If you wanna go to a city durham isnt for you but its close to newcastle so you can go there to do more shopping and stuff.geography is on the hill so collingwood is nearby and looks a good choice but it seems a bit hit and miss to get into, you might get put in another college if theres no space.
Reply 3
Another chemist here. Collingwood is the best. I made an exuberant post praising The Wood last week. Here's the main bits, along with some new bits:

There are hardly any Rahs, so they say. From what I saw at Grey, when we crashed their 'disco', Grey is a terrible college - so much so that their open day banner was found in the SU urinals covered in footprints, amongst other things.

Castle and Collingwood are the most poplular colleges, I have been told. The accommodation at Collingwood is seen as the best in Durham - hence it is known as 'the hotel on the hill'. The Wood's bar is also the longest, and is arguably the best.

Oh Collingwood (from what I remember anyway)
(to the tune of When the Saints Go Marching In)

Oh Collingwood! (Oh Collingwood)
Is wonderful! (Is wonderful!)
Oh Collingwood is wonderful!
It's full of beer, tits and rugby!
Oh Collingwood is wonderful!

Repeat endlessly...

Collingwood has a reputation for being very popular. The senior tutor said that over a quarter of Durham applicants used to put Collingwood down as their college of preference!

I enjoyed Durham enough for it to dislodge Warwick to become my insurance offer.

J.
Reply 4
hornblower

I enjoyed Durham enough for it to dislodge Warwick to become my insurance offer.
J.

Thats exactly what i did, except warwick was my first choice and york my 2nd and durham is now 1st
Reply 5
hornblower

It's full of beer, tits and rugby!
J.

Oh well you got two of those right.
Yeh my roomie applied to study BSc geography at St. Johns :smile:
lilsunflower
Yeh my roomie applied to study BSc geography at St. Johns :smile:

What University are you going to?

p.s. I would like to know, as if you're the same girl as in your avatar I will be buying you many vodka, JEP JEP! kekeke, I damn love those czech girls!
Reply 8
SiAnY
What's Durham Uni like?

great

come here

don't think about it any longer just do it

now
OOh I'm so excited! The law department has already passed me, now I'm awaiting a spot at St. John's.. please please take me! :smile: But I'm one step closer at least..
Yeah Durham Uni is really really nice, Ive got an offer at Van Mildert's. The hilly bits are a pain, but its still great :biggrin: Anyone else applyin to Van Mildert?
Reply 11
yeah I am!!! to do psychology, what are you doing?i think its gonna be my first choice but im not sure yet? are you going to one of the open days in March?
Reply 12
Mark_KK
I didnt like Durham when I visited - just looked like an extension of the public school system.

What do you exactly mean? I´m not from Britain, maybe that excuses my ignorance ;-)
Reply 13
what do i mean about what ben? the open day?
Reply 14
ben2111
What do you exactly mean? I´m not from Britain, maybe that excuses my ignorance ;-)

I think he means it full of posh people/ RAHs
kirstenb
what do i mean about what ben? the open day?

He's asking Mark KK :P
Reply 16
oh right!!! does anyone in here go to private school?
kirstenb

Nay.

J.
kirstenb

Nopeeeeee
Reply 19
SiAnY
He's asking Mark KK :P

OK I specify, what does he mean with "extension of the public school system"?

Latest