The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't know but does physical natural sciences allow you to take only physics modules or is there some compulsory chemistry?

It's tough OP. Cambridge has a college system which maybe offers a better amount of support but work levels also can seem really intense. But don't choose Cambridge solely because of it's reputation, uni should be the best time of your life, go with your instinct.
Reply 101
Original post by wilson_smith
I really don't see how gender comes into this, let alone age.

Oh gender is irrelevant I agree, I wasn't implying anything by writing "girl".
Original post by im so academic
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

I feel sorry for you.

Do what you want op, it's your life. Different things are important to different people which some people can't understand, such as the person i quoted.

"Pathetic social life" obviously you don't value it but you shouldn't force that value onto op, he has his own opinions and values on the matter i think. Now get off your high horse, choosing a university is a personal choice and isn't just based on the name and reputation of the university.

Anyway op, as i was saying weigh up your options and ask yourself where you would rather be, what do you want to get out of it etc
Original post by mummyperson
I think this is a troll. How can someone not want to learn physics in a beautiful college in a nobel prize winning physics department is beyond my imagining .
Perhaps success is too much for you ? A lot of people are in shock when they get their Oxbridge offer because the notion of success is so alien. I wouldnt make any quick or rash decisions and go and see both places again.:rolleyes:

Yo, err, hi. I don't want to learn physics in a blah de blah de blah whatever, because I don't want to study physics. Does that answer your question?
Reply 104
Original post by Firaila
Regarding im so academic, yes the posts are sometimes rubbish, but she's young and naive.

It strikes me as kinda sad to see a forum full of teenagers gleefully taking down a younger girl :dontknow:

Young and naive,but you simply cannot talk s*** like that.Besides if she is 14 she should worry about her GCSE's and stop talking about what she has no idea about.
Reply 105
Obviously it is your decision, and if you are going to spend the next 3/4 years of your life somewhere, you need to go somewhere you are going to enjoy and have a good time in, no point going soemwhere you will be miserable..but as somone who is anxiously waiting for their reply from cambridge (coincidentally aslo from clare) this kind of breaks my heart, Id LOVE to go there, not just cause of the reputation and amazing opportunity it would give me to learn from incredible people, but also because I love clare, I love cambridge as a city and think I could have hte most amazing time there. Obviously its hard work, but if you are doing what you love then its worth it isnt it? And would you really have gone through all the trouble of applying and prepping for the interview, stress of interview etc just to turn the offer down?
Just some thoughts :smile: I hope wtevs decision you make is the right one for you, dont worry about ppl being shocked..but just remember it IS " jst cambridge" for a reason, and there are many people out there who would give anything to be in your place..(myself included)
xx
Reply 106
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

Man you sound like my dad, have you even visted oxbridge?
Original post by modgepodge
Listen to this person. As they haven't finished their A levels yet, they are the perfect person to advise on this.

It's not all about Oxbridge. If you think you'll be happier elsewhere (and yes, it is acceptable to go elsewhere for any reason, including social life) go elsewhere. Yes, Cambridge students do go out and have fun, but they also have considerabley more work, which is not to everyone's taste.

A Levels? She hasn't started them :biggrin: She hasn't even finished her GCSEs yet :awesome:
Based on a few hours perception?

I don't think that warrants an individual to reject on that basis alone really.

Yet you're utterly rejecting Manchester despite, i'm sure, not having nearly as much knowledge about it as he does.
Original post by Firaila
Oh gender is irrelevant I agree, I wasn't implying anything by writing "girl".

Then what exactly is your contention with people responding to 'i'm so academic'? Because she's (supposedly) younger she should be immune from criticism when writing posts which wildly diverge from any sensibility? Or am i missing something?
Reply 110
Original post by Festina lente
It's your decision; some people might think you were stupid for deciding against Cambridge but what you need is the right decision for you.

Give it some time and mull it over; you don't want to regret it later. Don't forget that you can go back and see Cambridge/Clare again - also, you can contact them and talk it through if what's putting you off is concerns about the workload, social life etc. or if you need to ask more questions about the course. It won't be the first time and the tutors may well be willing to talk with you and perhaps arrange a visit, a chat with current students, etc which could help you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Almost all the posts are giving good advice, this one's especially good.

The same applies for Manchester. I'd definitely try and visit them both again before you make your decisions. You have until 5 May 2011 (on the ucas website) to decide so that's aaaages.

Personally, once I had visited them both again, had a good talk and properly got a feel for them both, I'd go with my gut feeling. Manchester has a good reputation, and I would imagine is a good uni too (never been there so can only presumer) so it's not like you're making a MASSIVE step down. And at the end of the day, if you go somewhere and spend the whole time wondering if you'd have been happier somewhere else, your grades could suffer along with your social life and general well being. I know I had that 'feeling' when I went to my unis open day that I KNEW this was where I wanted to be, no offer from any other uni could have changed that in my mind. Having said that, university is an excellent environment to make friends and enjoy yourself, and it's highly likely you'd do that just as well in Cambridge. At the end of the day, just make your own decision and don't let other people force you into something which isn't your first choice.

Good luck
xxxx
Original post by TheSownRose
You make it sound as if he's rejecting Cambridge for London Met. He's not.

Manchester is a highly respect uni with an impressive physics department, going to Cambridge wouldn't give you 'much better job opportunities'; marginally better, if at all.

What has less common sense? "I rejected a uni I didn't like for one I did" or "I accepted a uni I didn't like because people on a forum told me it was better"?

What has less common sense is 'I rejected a world class university' for an average one. You can't disagree that Cambridge, as just being Cambridge would supply him with much better opportunities - Lets be honest, the Manchester Candidate Vs the Cambridge candidate - we all know who wins :smile: X
lol why isn't it replying now.. :rolleyes:
Original post by gewelz93
Obviously it is your decision, and if you are going to spend the next 3/4 years of your life somewhere, you need to go somewhere you are going to enjoy and have a good time in, no point going soemwhere you will be miserable..but as somone who is anxiously waiting for their reply from cambridge (coincidentally aslo from clare) this kind of breaks my heart, Id LOVE to go there, not just cause of the reputation and amazing opportunity it would give me to learn from incredible people, but also because I love clare, I love cambridge as a city and think I could have hte most amazing time there. Obviously its hard work, but if you are doing what you love then its worth it isnt it? And would you really have gone through all the trouble of applying and prepping for the interview, stress of interview etc just to turn the offer down?
Just some thoughts :smile: I hope wtevs decision you make is the right one for you, dont worry about ppl being shocked..but just remember it IS " jst cambridge" for a reason, and there are many people out there who would give anything to be in your place..(myself included)
xx

I can't really pretend to empathise with this at all since my whole Oxford application was rather last minute and everything... but this argument is really annoying and not a good reason at all. I see why people might make it and yes, it is Cambridge for a reason, but people shouldn't feel bad for turning down an offer just because others want one and don't get one :nah:
Reply 114
Then what exactly is your contention with people responding to 'i'm so academic'? Because she's (supposedly) younger she should be immune from criticism when writing posts which wildly diverge from any sensibility? Or am i missing something?

My point was maybe her age means she is naive, that's it. I now see that I was probably wrong, as the reaction of other posters to me would suggest im so academic is trolling and/or chats ****.
Original post by reptileface
What has less common sense is 'I rejected a world class university' for an average one. You can't disagree that Cambridge, as just being Cambridge would supply him with much better opportunities - Lets be honest, the Manchester Candidate Vs the Cambridge candidate - we all know who wins :smile: X

Haven't got a clue, both would have different qualities.

I've seen far 'worse' trades than Cambridge for Manchester. OP isn't being irrational, he isn't rejecting a world class university for an average one.
Original post by reptileface

The world is - for the most part - not as black and white as that.

Choosing Cambridge just to be a prestige whore is just idiotic, really :yes:

I think we should feel sorry for her. Or prepare to laugh when she's rejected without interview for both Cambridge and Oxbridge :colone:
Reply 118
Well, my closest friend is at Cambridge and had the same issue, but she went there and has ended up loving it despited the workload. In terms of the social life, Cambridge students still honestly do have fun so don't worry too much about that.. but if you're worried about the workload then definitely go to Manchester.

You clearly love Manchester, I think you've made your decision already :smile:
Just make sure you won't regret it in the future. On the plus side, you will always be able to say 'I turned down Cambridge Pahahaha'

From experience, when you're not happy at uni, specially living out, it makes it soo much harder to do well.
Manchester physics is good stuff. So is cambridge. Manchester has more (current) Nobel Prize winners working there. Cambridge is #1 for mathematics and (probably) physics.

Go for the one you want :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending