The Student Room Group

Girls Doing Computer Science! :D

Poll

I'm applying/have applied for/do Computer Science and I'm a

Maybe it's just me, but I'm under the impression that a lot more guys do Computer Science than girls. Why is that?

Anyway, feel free to share where you're applying and for what etc, my fellow comp Sci sisters :biggrin:

I myself have applied to Edinburgh, Bath, Glasgow, Southampton and Lancaster for various combinations of computer science and physics.

and boys this is directed to you: this is not a dumping ground for sexist jokes about chicks and computers! (but to be fair, if it really is funneh, feel free to post :biggrin:)
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I, er, might not be doing computer science, BUT I love IT and computing :smile: does that count??

you are right though, I go to a girls school and there are 6 people in my IT class, and I am the only one in my entire sixth form who wants to do IT :redface:

weird.
someperson
x

Enjoy :smile:
Reply 3
Must...resist...temptation...to...insert....sexist....joke...about...females...using...computers....GAAAAHH.
Reply 4
From most of the uni stats I've looked at it's 90% male dominated at most places.

I imagine girls will apply for Information Systems/IT courses more though which usually have shared modules with Computer Science.

Would love for there to be some nice nerd girls on my course though. :P
I'm gonna be off doing computer science hopefully in Imperial :woo:

I'm oddly looking forward to it really because most of my best friends are girls so a male dominated environment will be weird :s-smilie: I'm a bit scared of the male-ness as well actually :s-smilie:

Big love for comp sci anyway... What's not to love in a good algorithm? :sexface:
Reply 6
Original post by -kit-kat-
I, er, might not be doing computer science, BUT I love IT and computing :smile: does that count??

Ya sure - this thread is for all us computer-lovin geek chicks out there :smile:
If not comp sci, what might you be doing?

Original post by Wookie42
Must...resist...temptation...to...insert....sexist....joke...about...females...using...computers....GAAAAHH.

Go on - lets have it then. I promise I won't kill you for it :smile: (well just maybe.. I mean, we are lookin to even out the guy:girl ratio) :cool:

Original post by nikita_atikin
I'm gonna be off doing computer science hopefully in Imperial :woo:

I'm oddly looking forward to it really because most of my best friends are girls so a male dominated environment will be weird :s-smilie: I'm a bit scared of the male-ness as well actually :s-smilie:

Big love for comp sci anyway... What's not to love in a good algorithm? :sexface:

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel! I'm sure it'll be chilled though. I'm pretty excited about it - means I get to talk about gaming and computers without boring my friends' butts off. :P

That, and girls bring some spice to the comp sci world :biggrin: Have you heard back from Imperial yet? where else did you apply?
Reply 7
Original post by Tox.p
Ya sure - this thread is for all us computer-lovin geek chicks out there :smile:
If not comp sci, what might you be doing?

haha :smile: well I applied for a bit of a mix - IT, ITO, ITMB but the courses I really wanted are Computing and Computer Information Systems :smile:

Feel like a bit of a cheat not going for Comp Sci though :colondollar:

What about you?

Original post by Tox.p
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel! I'm sure it'll be chilled though. I'm pretty excited about it - means I get to talk about gaming and computers without boring my friends' butts off. :P

This!
Reply 8
Original post by JackWoot
Would love for there to be some nice nerd girls on my course though. :P

There aren't any girls on your course? Or just no nice nerd girls?
Original post by Tox.p

That, and girls bring some spice to the comp sci world :biggrin: Have you heard back from Imperial yet? where else did you apply?

Erm I'm a bit terrified honestly because I don't think I know THAT much about comp sci. I think I know enough to have an input but not enough to sustain a conversation :s-smilie: I just hope the boys will be kind :h: It's gonna be a massive change for me but hopefully I can keep the comp sci sisterhood up :tongue:

I have heard back from Imperial, I have an offer from them. Otherwise, see my sig for details :smile: Where else have you applied apart from Southampton?
Reply 10

Feel like a bit of a cheat not going for Comp Sci though :colondollar:

What about you?

why do you feel like a cheat? it's good that you know exactly what field of computing and IT you wanna do. Which Uni's? :biggrin:

To reply to both you and nikita_atikin, I've applied to

Southampton - MEng Comp Sci
Bath - Bsc Physics and Computing
Lancaster - MSc Comp Sci
Edinburgh - BSc Comp Sci and Physics
Glasgow - BSc Comp Sci and Physics

So far I've only heard back from Edinburgh - got a pretty do-able offer and definitely one of my main choices.

Original post by nikita_atikin
Erm I'm a bit terrified honestly because I don't think I know THAT much about comp sci. I think I know enough to have an input but not enough to sustain a conversation :s-smilie:
?

nikita_atikin, Firstly: Congrats for your offer from Imperial!! :biggrin: Secondly: I swear you stole half my brain - I know exactly how you feel, lol. I'm a lil scared of becoming a bit of joke because of it :s-smilie: and I really hope I that any of the few girls that I;'m gonna be with are really nice and not complete *bishes* cuz I'm gonna need a break from the boys once in a while... :P
Reply 11
Original post by Tox.p
Go on - lets have it then. I promise I won't kill you for it :smile: (well just maybe.. I mean, we are lookin to even out the guy:girl ratio) :cool:

Erm...eeeerm...

:lockstock:

BRING ON THE PAIN BITCHEZZ. I meant that in a nice way, bitchez is a term of endearment of course :colondollar:
Reply 12
There aren't any girls on your course? Or just no nice nerd girls?

I mean when I start the course, still at sixth form currently. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by JackWoot
I mean when I start the course, still at sixth form currently. :biggrin:

Where have you applied?
Reply 14

BRING ON THE PAIN BITCHEZZ. I meant that in a nice way, bitchez is a term of endearment of course :colondollar:

course you did. you're safe...... for now. *drammatic music* DUN DUN DUN! :colone:
It's good to see some more women entering the IT industry. I think the reason is that it's seen as a "male" job. You won't find man men on a fashion course, or interested in it with a passion. I bore people to death myself, when talking about computers and networks. Here's a little snippet. My Computer Systems assignment had exactly 11,111 words- that wasn't meant in an obnoxious way, but IT students should be ale to understand the light hearted joke

EDIT: Either someone doesn't know what binary is, or that they are opposed to women entering a male dominated industry
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Tox.p
Where have you applied?

Newcastle University as my firm choice and Northumbria as insurance.
Reply 17
You're an incredibly rare breed. My Comp Sci course has probably barely reached double figures in girls over a couple of years. Apart from anything, you will do well because of positive discrimination.

Also, prepare for fawning males being all over you. :facepalm2:
(edited 13 years ago)
So hot! :fan:
Original post by Tox.p

nikita_atikin, Firstly: Congrats for your offer from Imperial!! :biggrin: Secondly: I swear you stole half my brain - I know exactly how you feel, lol. I'm a lil scared of becoming a bit of joke because of it :s-smilie: and I really hope I that any of the few girls that I;'m gonna be with are really nice and not complete *bishes* cuz I'm gonna need a break from the boys once in a while... :P

I am soooo scared of becoming a joke! A few of my guy friends were giving me the breakdown of what the guys are going to think of me. Aparently 50% will be like "WTF, a girl?" 5% will fancy me because I'm a girl, 30% will be elitist and won't care that I exist, and the rest will hopefully be normal... It's not lookin promising haha :tongue:
Tbh even though my besties are all girls and yeah maybe we do bitch sometimes, I'm not a mega bitchy girl. I just hope that the other girls will still want to be friends with girls and not go crazy when they see all the guys and only be friends with the guys. A few girls were like most of my friends are guys... I think you do need a few girlfriends to keep you emotionally normal :h: Anyway, that's just me :smile:

Erm...eeeerm...

:lockstock:

I dont know why but I read 'pain' as the French word 'pain' which means bread and suddenly I thought you were making a "Make me a sandwich" reference :confused: Unless that's what you meant... :s-smilie:

Original post by Inversion

Also, prepare for fawning males being all over you. :facepalm2:

I was told apparently for girls, the odds are good but the goods are odd? :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending