The Student Room Group

Why are entry requirements for BTEC students so high compared to A levels?

Im looking for universities to study computer science, and i have noted in a lot of the top 25 universities, they have entry requirements like say for example AAB or AAA with an A in mathematics. But for the BTEC level 3 extended diploma its D*D*D with an A in a level maths? why is this? a btec level 3 extended diploma is equivelent to 3 a levels so that along with a level math would be eqwuivelent to 4 a levels, so shouldnt the BTEC requirement be lower? kinda unfair ngl
I don't follow really. Why would you be expected to have an A Level in Maths if you are doing a BTEC? That doesn't make sense.
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I don't follow really. Why would you be expected to have an A Level in Maths if you are doing a BTEC? That doesn't make sense.

Some universities have such a requirement
Reply 3
Original post by revo349
Im looking for universities to study computer science, and i have noted in a lot of the top 25 universities, they have entry requirements like say for example AAB or AAA with an A in mathematics. But for the BTEC level 3 extended diploma its D*D*D with an A in a level maths? why is this? a btec level 3 extended diploma is equivelent to 3 a levels so that along with a level math would be eqwuivelent to 4 a levels, so shouldnt the BTEC requirement be lower? kinda unfair ngl

Because such courses are highly academic whereas BTec are seen as more practical.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

all the top 25 universities require it for computer science, so if u are doing a btec u also need to do A level math along side it.
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Because such courses are highly academic whereas BTec are seen as more practical.

idk man im doing a btec rn and its definetly not practical. its just as much work as a levels plus we have exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending