The Student Room Group

Embarrassed in a bikini?

Ok, I live in the Southern Hemisphere, and summer is raging with heat in all it's glory. That means it's bikini time. I feel embarrassed though... I have small breasts - A cups. It would not be so bad if I were tiny and petite. But I'm 5'7", slim, sure, but I am very curvy in the bottom. Kind of like if Kim Kardashian had A cups. So it looks weird. And for some reason, I feel like wearing a one piece would make it worse!

I feel embarrassed. Especially because of guys... I know, I know... but I mean, when even breast cancer ads focus sooooo much on the glory of big, bouncing boobs in a bikini (you have to sign in to watch, 'cause it's flagged), well... it just feels like if you have small breasts and wear a bikini, you look ridiculous and unappealing compared to busty girls... and remember... I'm not petite and short and cute... I'm curvy everywhere except up top!

I feel so ridiculous, like my body couldn't decide whether it was going to be curvy or whether it was going to be slim and petite and got something somewhere in between. And I know guys like girls like the one in the video. I don't like padding also, it's so obvious, like a bald man wearing a hairpiece, I prefer to show my real self than something fake. At least that way people won't make fun of me for being pathetic.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
unless you get a boob job, theres really not a lot you can do..
sure guys all say they like big boobs.. but i dont really see the massive attraction.. if you have curves then be proud of them and show em off:smile:
dont worry about being smaller on top than on the bottom, just dont compare yourself to anyone, the "desired" bodies are most of the time fake anyway.. just dont worry and go for it:smile: confidence is the biggest attraction not the body
Reply 2
I used to be like this, then I read in a magazine that every girl gets nervous about being in a bikini - even those that you would call tiny and petite probably hate their skinny ass. Don't let it ruin your summer :smile:
Big boobs can look bad in a bikini too you know (if you don't have a good one with the perfect size.)

You can wear so many designs. You shouldn't be embarrassed, no one probably cares anyway :smile:
Reply 4
It's just like I know I can look cute... but I'll never look hot or sexy. And I'd like the latter. Being cute is for puppies and babies... especially with the rest of my body being so "womanly".

Would implants be a good choice though? I've heard a ton of guys say they hate them, although I can't help to think that they're lying to be PC.

I feel so stupid, here I am, a 22 year old worrying about this. I thought getting older would help me ignore it but it's only got worse... so pathetic.
Reply 5
Don't worry about it. Seriously. I'll let this slide if you let the fact that my stomach is looking less toned then it should lately... Deal? :-)
Original post by Discasto
It's just like I know I can look cute... but I'll never look hot or sexy. And I'd like the latter. Being cute is for puppies and babies... especially with the rest of my body being so "womanly".

Would implants be a good choice though? I've heard a ton of guys say they hate them, although I can't help to think that they're lying to be PC.

I feel so stupid, here I am, a 22 year old worrying about this. I thought getting older would help me ignore it but it's only got worse... so pathetic.

Id say that about 50% of men are "ass-guys" so your not lacking choice and im sure only a very very small amount of blokes would be actually turned off by A cups so you have nothing to worry about. or you know, boob job
Reply 7
I think everyone has something that makes them feel self-conscious when they're wearing a bikini (for me it's my hips). You have to learn to embrace the parts of you that you love and be confident just how you are, I think that's one of the most attractive things someone can possess.
Reply 8
Try wearing a bandeau bikini top that's got ruffles or ruching on it...check out the topshop website swimwear section - a lot of those sort of things would look good.
Topshop and miss selfridge seem to be tailored towards non-curvy figures which is good for the top of you! Probably best to go for separates though, I've got a boyish figure and the bottoms of topshop bikinis are too small for my bum lol :smile:
Also, be (or act) confident and you'll be sexy whatever shape you are!
Reply 9
Cant have best of both :frown:
If you're situation is really affecting you psychologically then I think you should consider surgery. Maybe just go to a C cup, nothin drastic. But for the time being just look around for bikini tops that have ruffles or are very busy design wise. And use your booty to your advantage. Ah I wish I had a booty -_-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Huskaris
Don't worry about it. Seriously. I'll let this slide if you let the fact that my stomach is looking less toned then it should lately... Deal? :-)

Lol well I see you like Joy Division which is cool. And I don't really care for six packs... makes no difference to me.

Just wish I had more of that "oomph" factor going on and looked less like a cute 12 year old, and more like a sexy 22 year old.
Reply 11

I you're looking at implants, get them for you. Don't let what random lads think factor into your decision. Surgery is such a massive thing and shouldn't be taken lightly.

I think I have the same trouble, my figure itself measurement wise is a typical hourglass, however I have small boobs so I always feel like eyes are on my bum, which is pretty curvy but not in a pear shaped way. I personally find one-piece swimsuits far more attractive anyways as there's so much more that can look bad in a bikini. I know they're seen as a bit the reserve of older women but there's loads of nice modern young and sexy one pieces around.
Reply 12
I'm pretty much the same as you, really tiny boobs but I have huge hips :frown: I'm afraid the only advice i can give is don't wear a bikini if you feel embarrassed? I just wore a one piece but covered my self up with a beach dress thing when I was on holiday and never went in the water. It did suck a bit but at least no one had to see the beached whale unveiling herself.

I was just discussing my plans last night to start saving for a boob job, as soon as I get out of uni and can start properly saving I will :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I look awful in a bikini but I am 18 stone and male
Reply 14
Lol well I see you like Joy Division which is cool. And I don't really care for six packs... makes no difference to me.

Just wish I had more of that "oomph" factor going on and looked less like a cute 12 year old, and more like a sexy 22 year old.

Gah, if you have personality it won't matter. Going by what I know of girls, you will do better with the ones that get to know you for you rather than go for you instantly because you are stunning. Although i you are up against a girl with massive tits and has a sparkling personality then you might be screwed haha. But often, more often than not that is not the case as these girls seem to have a predisposition, which comes with the genetic large breast gene, to think that they are the best thing on earth, which isn't the nicest personality trait.

Oh and on the Joy Division, you are the first person to really make reference to that. I wear the Tshirt version of that pic on occasion. I have been stopped once, by a man in hi fifties in a pub. But I've just realised, in order to have gone to those gigs, as they broke up in 1980, you would have to be about 50 to have been 20 then, so 50 plus to have been at those gigs really... *Sighs*

I wonder if 30 years from now the same thing will happen with Kesha and Kanye West....
My best friend is very similar to you, just a few inches shorter.
And I think she looks amazing in a bikini, I'd kill to be so toned!
Just don't wear the standard triangle bikinis, get something in a bold print or with frills on, possibly a bandeau (as someone has already mentioned). It'll even you our a bit.
I got an idea... use a pair of melons or maybe baking apple ?
jk/In all seriousness weI need pics to come up with a proper suggestion of whether you need bob job or your bottom suffices. =]
Reply 17
Its natural to feel self conscious about yourself.
I've heard so many people be nervous or disliking some part of themselves.

Its ultimately your choice to have implants but to be honest I think people care so much about what others may think of them that they really don't notice how little people observe.
I doubt if I saw you on a beach with hundreds of other women in bikini's, I'd even bat an eyelid. I don't know about most people but I generally don't go around thinking "god they look weird" (unless they have orange skin with a pink mohican which I have actually seen!).

I'd reccommend just being aware of how little you notice or judge other peoples appearences and then imagine that this is how most people are.
Just accept what your body is like and you'll be a lot happier for it.
Reply 18
Have confidence, don't give a **** about what others think.
Reply 19
In all honesty, at the beach, no one will give you a 2nd glance, you're not the only one there you know...

Quick Reply

Latest