The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I recognise the word normalisation, but it could have a whole load of contexts...I'm a bit confused what you're asking.:biggrin:

What is the module/project title?
Reply 2
I have been asked to do something called "Normalised E-R Model".This is Module 6.... Basically I am trying to normalise my main entities and attributes. Are TutorLastName and TutorSurname repeating attributes?
Normalising is making something as simple as possible basically I think, without repeating stuff. And yes, those two are pretty much the same, LastName and Surname.
Reply 4
thanks alot!=)
Reply 5
"Normalised E-R Model" would be the entity-relationship model. Buy a book on A Level ICT and it will tell you all about entity-relationships and normalisation. It'll also explain how to normalise to third-normal form. Heck, even just get one out of the school library.

Good luck!
3rd normal form is simply something which doesnt store anything twice so that you avoid errors and save memory. To put something into 3rd normal, just check it is in its simplest form. If you are doing a customer database this will often mean adding a transactions file or something similar to join customer and stock.
Reply 7
now try doing it up to 7th normal form :wink:
7th?
To my knowledge, there are only four stages of normalisation, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and dmain/key but for the purpose of A level I would think just discussing up to third ould be ok. 3rd being where you cannot break it down any more.
Reply 9
There are five normal forms in professional system analysis. Three is the highest you are expected to go up to for your A Levels. Normalising it any further will not get you any extra marks as you will not be asked on it. If you have to normalise past 3NF for your coursework, then your project is too big.
From studying oracle, we were taught that there were 4 normal forms... 5 at a push. But my boyfriends brother who just finished his computer science course at Warwick university, insists that there are 7 normal forms.
If you could be bothered to type www.wikipedia.com and normalisation, you could find out some useful information, instead I suggest you just keep on sharing your opinions and those of your sister's boyfriend's pet's vet's uncle's neice's ICT teacher.

Still you know what they, say "The Gods help those who help themselves", but if you are too lazy to help yourself, post to a forum and you can get people who are just as uninformed to give you a half remembered opinion.
Reply 12
if you have heatcoats, thats explain it very well
Reply 13
Diminutive
From studying oracle, we were taught that there were 4 normal forms... 5 at a push. But my boyfriends brother who just finished his computer science course at Warwick university, insists that there are 7 normal forms.

Relational theory dictates that there are 7 normal forms. You may not have come across them in the use of any particular database system implementation but they are derived from first order logic (I believe...someone can correct me if Im wrong). :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending