The Student Room Group

Does your parent's relationship influence how you view love?

Hi guys,

So there is a guy that I like and we are in a relationship for a while now, but it seems that there is a reoccurring problem that keeps happening. The guy says that I am always his first choice but he always tends to flirt and try to get with girls (this always leads him to heartbreak as he doesn't want anything from these girls except sex and then they come to realise it and they don't want him anymore so he always comes back to me. The last time which was a few weeks ago, there was another similar episode where after a girl broke his heart again, he called me crying saying that he is not fine and he doesn't know why he keeps doing that.

I'm just wondering about his behaviour as it seems a bit strange, and whether his parent's relationship influences him alot thats why he acts like this.

His mom and dad lives in two different houses and he grew up living with his mom who had a boyfriend. The boyfriend would always come over to their house and the mother would make the son cook and clean for both her and the bf and even make the son spend time with the bf more than his own father. So growing up, he never saw his mom and dad be intimate or show any kind of love for each other as his mom was always trying to make herself happy instead of fixing her own marriage. His mother didn't want to have a divorce as she thought it wouldn't be good for her son.

Would this kind of upbringing influence the guy I am with in the way that he knows that we are together and he doesn't want to lose me at all, and when we argue, instead of trying to fix the problem, he just goes off and flirts with girls to make himself feel better. Maybe he doesn't know what love is supposed to look like as he never saw his parents show love to each other so he got no idea about what it involves.

I'm just trying to understand the psychology of it...
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

So there is a guy that I like and we are in a relationship for a while now, but it seems that there is a reoccurring problem that keeps happening. The guy says that I am always his first choice but he always tends to flirt and try to get with girls (this always leads him to heartbreak as he doesn't want anything from these girls except sex and then they come to realise it and they don't want him anymore so he always comes back to me. The last time which was a few weeks ago, there was another similar episode where after a girl broke his heart again, he called me crying saying that he is not fine and he doesn't know why he keeps doing that.

I'm just wondering about his behaviour as it seems a bit strange, and whether his parent's relationship influences him alot thats why he acts like this.

His mom and dad lives in two different houses and he grew up living with his mom who had a boyfriend. The boyfriend would always come over to their house and the mother would make the son cook and clean for both her and the bf and even make the son spend time with the bf more than his own father. So growing up, he never saw his mom and dad be intimate or show any kind of love for each other as his mom was always trying to make herself happy instead of fixing her own marriage. His mother didn't want to have a divorce as she thought it wouldn't be good for her son.

Would this kind of upbringing influence the guy I am with in the way that he knows that we are together and he doesn't want to lose me at all, and when we argue, instead of trying to fix the problem, he just goes off and flirts with girls to make himself feel better. Maybe he doesn't know what love is supposed to look like as he never saw his parents show love to each other so he got no idea about what it involves.

I'm just trying to understand the psychology of it...

Answer is yes and no. yes it can see repeating behaviour of your parents which in the sons eyes seems normalised. But no because there are cases (people i know of) that have had great parent marriages but their own relationship is abusive and is repeated again and again.
So yes and no is the answer really. But what hes gone through with his parents, do NOT let this be an excuse of his behaviour towards you. If you are his number one then theres no excuse as to why he keeps doing this with girls. You deserve much better, and you deserve to be in a relationship that is stable, loving, and faithful, not one where your put on the back burner so he can go out and play with other girls. If you are his first choice, then why on earth is his heart breaking over another girl? Its just simply not on.
Please, you deserve so much better than this love rat. Hard as it may seem, its time to end things and tell him your not a mug and then block him for good. Then have some time on your own and enjoy being single and find yourself some self worth because you deserve way better than this player.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending