St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

How "homely" is St As?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
necessarily benevolent
How "homely" is St As?

Very, I think I know more people who refer to St-Andrews as home than where they spend their summers.
Reply 3822
dragon500uk
I agree with Mex - it IS the law - we have a litty bit of trouble with underage drinkers, and due to the influence of the spice girls they've gotten a little bit out of hand.

True, and the penalties are rather harsh.

For selling alcohol to a minor, there is a fine of up to £5000 for each incident (for which the individual that sold the alcohol is personally responsible for paying, not the company that they work for), and on the second incident they can have their license suspended/removed.

For selling a game/DVD to someone underage, there is a fine of up to £5000, and a maximum of 6 months imprisonment for the individual that sold the game, and also a maximum of 6 months for their manager.

So, in a way, I can see why shops ID, but considering the uni knows your exact date of birth, it's a bit dumb not to allow matriculation cards.

I blame Posh Spice. It's all her fault.
Bucky!
True, and the penalties are rather harsh.

For selling alcohol to a minor, there is a fine of up to £5000 for each incident (for which the individual that sold the alcohol is personally responsible for paying, not the company that they work for), and on the second incident they can have their license suspended/removed.

For selling a game/DVD to someone underage, there is a fine of up to £5000, and a maximum of 6 months imprisonment for the individual that sold the game, and also a maximum of 6 months for their manager.

So, in a way, I can see why shops ID, but considering the uni knows your exact date of birth, it's a bit dumb not to allow matriculation cards.

I blame Posh Spice. It's all her fault.

Well trying to use my college card in London I was told nowhere should accept college or university cards cause they're too easy to copy and fake... hmm.
Reply 3824
Bella_trixxx
Well trying to use my college card in London I was told nowhere should accept college or university cards cause they're too easy to copy and fake... hmm.

Has it got a photo on it? It seems ok here (Brighton) to use it as ID as long as it has a photo of you on it and is affiliated with important bodies like the local council. Oh and must have your D.O.B obviously :s-smilie:
necessarily benevolent
St Andrews!!! :smile: :tsr2:

Woo
necessarily benevolent
How "homely" is St As?

very!
Oxy
Has it got a photo on it? It seems ok here (Brighton) to use it as ID as long as it has a photo of you on it and is affiliated with important bodies like the local council. Oh and must have your D.O.B obviously :s-smilie:

Yeah, it has a photo and DOB, I think it's purely because if there's no hologram or anything on it it can be easily reproduced.
Bella_trixxx
Yeah, it has a photo and DOB, I think it's purely because if there's no hologram or anything on it it can be easily reproduced.

Yeah, but you can easily order fake ID uni cards. I bought a fake University of Greenwich card with hologram, D.O.B and picture a few years ago. Literally couldn't tell the difference between the fake and the real.
Reply 3829
Bella_trixxx

Driving licences can be easily faked can't they? looking at mine, it doesn't look like it'd be to hard, and there isn't even a hologram on the driving licence. Don't think you can ever be sure even with a driving licence, I swear some doormen have looked at me funny, like you look wayyyy to young lol One place manager of a bar even refused my mates Provisional driving licence and said they only accept full driving licences o_O
Oxy
Driving licences can be easily faked can't they? looking at mine, it doesn't look like it'd be to hard, and there isn't even a hologram on the driving licence. Don't think you can ever be sure even with a driving licence, I swear some doormen have looked at me funny, like you look wayyyy to young lol One place manager of a bar even refused my mates Provisional driving licence and said they only accept full driving licences o_O

The whole thing on mine is holographic if you tilt it in the light. If you put them under UV they also do all sorts.

Both reasons why many places ask you to remove it from a pastic cover.
Reply 3831
yodude888
Yeah, but you can easily order fake ID uni cards. I bought a fake University of Greenwich card with hologram, D.O.B and picture a few years ago. Literally couldn't tell the difference between the fake and the real.

You might "literally not have been able to tell the difference", but a doorman who sees dozens of fakes a week will be able to. Things like the feel of a card, if text is raised / embossed, the detail on the back ... I'm pretty sure the bouncers would have a good chance of spotting a fake.

What are you worrying about anyway?
Are you only going to be 17 in freshers week?
M_E_X
You might "literally not have been able to tell the difference", but a doorman who sees dozens of fakes a week will be able to. Things like the feel of a card, if text is raised / embossed, the detail on the back ... I'm pretty sure the bouncers would have a good chance of spotting a fake.

I wouldnt be so sure! I personally have never seen anyone use a fake ID so I suppose I cant say whether or not they work first hand, but I HAVE seen (both at home and in St Andrews) people under 18 get ID'ed and calmly get out ID (with their correct, under-age DOB on it) to which the bouncers give it 1 millisecond glance and say 'yeah ok'! Obviously it doesnt work every time and when it doesnt you look a right t*t (and a friend of mine was even banned from the raisin towards the end of last year for using this tactic, it was just after they were fined for serving under-age people though so that may have been why!), but dont just assume that because the bouncers 'look' at ID's every day that they pay any attention to what is actually on them!

Having said that of course I would never condone deception, the use of fake ID's, attempting to get into age restricted areas under-age or under-age drinking :wink:
M_E_X

No, although I suspect that it had actually been printed off the Greenwich uni presses or something along those lines, as it was perfect. Side-by-side a real one my friend in Greenwich couldn't tell which was real and which was fake lol.
But yes in general it's quite easy to tell a real from a fake.

Yeah I'll be 17 at fresher's week, although that doesn't bother me much. When there's a will there's a way.

Oh and next summer I'm doing a monthlong course for a BTEC in Close Protection, which will enable me to become a licensed bouncer and bodyguard :biggrin: If I can find a job in St. Andrews then that means I can be the one IDing everyone :rolleyes:
Reply 3834
yodude888
No, although I suspect that it had actually been printed off the Greenwich uni presses or something along those lines, as it was perfect. Side-by-side a real one my friend in Greenwich couldn't tell which was real and which was fake lol.
But yes in general it's quite easy to tell a real from a fake.

Yeah I'll be 17 at fresher's week, although that doesn't bother me much. When there's a will there's a way.

Oh and next summer I'm doing a monthlong course for a BTEC in Close Protection, which will enable me to become a licensed bouncer and bodyguard :biggrin: If I can find a job in St. Andrews then that means I can be the one IDing everyone :rolleyes:

No, you need an SIA license to be a bouncer or bodyguard...they're pretty expensive, so unless your BTEC offers that you won't get one. Plus you'd need to be 18 anyway, lol.

...although having just looked at your profile it mentions SIA so ya maybe this was misplaced cynicism
Reply 3835
Deadmau5
No, you need an SIA license to be a bouncer or bodyguard...they're pretty expensive, so unless your BTEC offers that you won't get one. Plus you'd need to be 18 anyway, lol.

...although having just looked at your profile it mentions SIA so ya maybe this was misplaced cynicism

Deadmouse do you go to StAs or not? (just curious! :smile: )
Deadmau5

Haha yeah it was, your BTEC is the requirement for the SIA license to be attributed (along with a clean record), and I WILL be 18 :rolleyes:
Reply 3837
M_E_X
Deadmouse do you go to StAs or not? (just curious! :smile: )

in sept...
Reply 3838
terpineol
The whole thing on mine is holographic if you tilt it in the light. If you put them under UV they also do all sorts.

Both reasons why many places ask you to remove it from a pastic cover.

Oh not shone UV light over it yet :tongue: yeah mine has a holographic steering wheel thing but that's about it. The older ones (like my dads) don't have anything it's just a card. I wondered why the polish bouncer asked me to take it out my plastic bit in my wallet, its bloody annoying as its a bitch to get out :biggrin:
Most pubs don't seem to ID? Matric card for union and it's just Tesco that seems to ID. Or maybe just the places I go...

Latest

Trending

Trending