The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

CJ99
Hey guys. Couple of money questions:

How much do you reckon is adequete for freshers? I was thinking of keeping to £250 at most but even that might be lots as I don't drink much. And then another £250 to last till I get a job.

How easy is it to get a job? And what kind of wage is the norm?

How much do you reckon is a reasonable weekly allowance?

Yeah £250 will probably be more than you need if you don't drink much. However you have to factor in wether you want to buy a gown and textbooks. I spent £200 on that (gown costs £130 new and they didn't have a second hand one my size) and probably about £30 on everything else (I went to a lot of the events)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 5001
Meteorshower
Yeah £250 will probably be more than you need if you don't drink much. However you have to factor in wether you want to buy a gown and textbooks. I spent £200 on that (gown costs £130 new and they didn't have a second hand one my size) and probably about £30 on everything else (I went to a lot of the events)

Well my grandads offered to pay for my gown so that covered. Do you mean £30 a day on everything else or £30 total?
CJ99
Well my grandads offered to pay for my gown so that covered. Do you mean £30 a day on everything else or £30 total?

£30 total.
Reply 5003
Meteorshower
£30 total.

£30 for freshers week?! I'm not saying it couldn't be done but I'd take a little more..
ritz07
Hey i just wanna know if after accepting an offer of the accommodation der is a possibility to ask for reallottment/room change.

Ok i am allotted the DRA LG1104 n i suppose its on the 4th floor as per the alumni who i met a couple of days ago. Could someone pls re-confirm the same for me.

Also is the fourth floor bad...plsss ppl highlight both positives n negatives.

There's always the possibility to ask for things and if you are really unhappy with your room allocation (for good reasons) then I suggest you contact student accommodation to see if they can offer you any alternatives. However they are not under any obligation to provide you with an alternative, so don't get your hopes up too much.

I would expect a number 11 apartment would probably be on the 4th floor. Unless you have a medical condition which makes stairs a significant problem, you'll probably encounter some stairs wherever you live. DRA is fairly new, so doesn't have high ceilings, so being 4 floors up isn't so bad.
Also, regarding the £30 for freshers week topic... do-able IMO, but participating in arranged hall events will probably help. I'd be inclined to allow more, just to be on the safe side, and so you don't need to worry about it.
Flat 11 is on the third floor (as in ground, first, second, third). To be honest the 'worst' floor to be on in a DRA house is the ground floor because your key card doesn't give you access to the stairwell so you have to ring the bell to get into parties in other flats. It's not a major hassle though.
Sambo2
£30 for freshers week?! I'm not saying it couldn't be done but I'd take a little more..

Well I was just saying what I spent outside of books and gowns :p: Almost all on events at the union. Bear in mind I don't drink.
Reply 5008
hey thanks ImperceptibleNinja n la_banane_verte.

Hmmm...i did mail the uni after readin d reply's to maybe provide me a room on the lower floors if possible...lets c hw it goes...n yes d party access is pretty imp:wink: Else 4th floor will do...will keep me fit..hehehe
I far preferred living on the top floor to the ground or first floor. Its much quieter.
Reply 5010
Anyone answer my question about getting a job? Is it easy to find employement?
Do the rooms in halls have WI-FI?
Wi-fi? Nope. All wired. Finding a job? Should be alright if you're not too fussy and keep at it.

Have all these questions been answered before? Yes.
Reply 5013
Einstein's apprentice
Do the rooms in halls have WI-FI?

we're all wired, no wifi except in departments/theaters
Sambo2
we're all wired, no wifi except in departments/theaters

Ok, cheers. I'll have to set up my own Internet connection then.
Einstein's apprentice
Ok, cheers. I'll have to set up my own Internet connection then.

Not in halls you won't.
la_banane_verte
Not in halls you won't.

Could you elaborate, please?

I'm shockingly bad at technical stuff.
Einstein's apprentice
Could you elaborate, please?

I'm shockingly bad at technical stuff.

There is an internet connection in every room in halls (two in shared rooms). You'll need an ethernet cable (RJ45) to use the internet. You cannot use wireless (except in certain areas such as the DRA bar, New Hall coffee shop, the Union and others) and you aren't allowed to plug in any equipment to make the connection in your room into a wireless one.
la_banane_verte
There is an internet connection in every room in halls (two in shared rooms). You'll need an ethernet cable (RJ45) to use the internet. You cannot use wireless (except in certain areas such as the DRA bar, New Hall coffee shop, the Union and others) and you aren't allowed to plug in any equipment to make the connection in your room into a wireless one.

Cheers, that's great.
Reply 5019
Crimsonchilli
anyone got any info on getting to st.andys from London ?
Iv'e looked at a few rout planners and all the reasonably priced journeys take like 11 hours :/

anyone here a regular london - Leuchars traveler ?

There's also a direct overnight train which is really cheap if booked in advance. Look on Scot Rail. I'm gutted as I didn't realise it can leave from Leuchers, and booked from Edinburgh instead. I shall remember for next time though!

Latest

Trending

Trending