The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
MerryMilkMan
I heard this from some people but wasn't sure if it was true. Do they teach the American Revolution in the British school system? (this is most likely a silly question as I am sure they teach you the wars you have been in but I must know)
I never took history once we were allowed to choose subjects to study, so I wouldn't have a clue...

In the two years we were forced to do the damn subject, I absolutely hated it with a passion. I still have horrible nightmares about getting 2/20 in my test on the Jacobites, which is the worst I have EVER done in a test :redface:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I'm just taking a break from watching Eurovision, I just watch it sheerly for Terry Wogan, he's absolutly brilliant.

Finland's orcs for teh win!

their entry: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6666637566522776701&q=lordi
Reply 682
I'll be damned if Lithuania win..."We are the winners of Eurovision", my arse

Finland deserve some credit, at the very least for the amount of time they'll have spent in the makeup room :biggrin:

I like the Norwegian girl, too :smile:
Lithuania were hilarious, anyway back to watching!
WTF is eurovision?
Reply 685
MerryMilkMan
WTF is eurovision?
The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual competition which is an absolute joke...it's commonly referred to by TV critics as "the show we all love to hate", which is pretty apt.

At the time of posting this, Lithuania's football-chant-esque song is in fifth place (out of twenty four). I guess that just shows how much of a joke the contest is...Finland are top, though, so I'm happy enough :smile:
Dalimyr
The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual competition which is an absolute joke...it's commonly referred to by TV critics as "the show we all love to hate", which is pretty apt.

At the time of posting this, Lithuania's football-chant-esque song is in fifth place (out of twenty four). I guess that just shows how much of a joke the contest is...Finland are top, though, so I'm happy enough :smile:

but what are they doing?
Reply 687
MerryMilkMan
lol I'm not actually from there but I will be working there all summer. I have an internship at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum YIPPY

Awesome, I was in DC two summers ago working as a Congressional Page. iThe Smithsonian museums are truly fantastic - hope you have a great time there!
Reply 688
MerryMilkMan
but what are they doing?

singing
Reply 689
WHOOO!!!!!

Finland won!!! I think I'm gonna cry, though - Lithuania did shockingly well, and Norway could only limp into 14th place. Still, nobody got nil points, with Malta getting 1 point JUST before the end of the show :biggrin:
I loved Finland

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6666637566522776701&q=lordi

^For anyone who wants to watch their video for the song (they all performed live in the real thing
Bdarnell
Awesome, I was in DC two summers ago working as a Congressional Page. iThe Smithsonian museums are truly fantastic - hope you have a great time there!

were do you normaly live?
Reply 692
MerryMilkMan
were do you normaly live?

Well, its a long story, but currently I am living in San Diego, California. However, my family will be moving back to Geneva this summer.
Parrotman
I'm just taking a break from watching Eurovision, I just watch it sheerly for Terry Wogan, he's absolutly brilliant.

agreed parrotman, i only watch the scoring process, wogan's comments are hust hillhairyous! he is the king! and all the political voting is so predictable, but why do all the iron curtain countries vote russia?

on the subject of the disorientated americans, i had imagened that it related to nobody on TSR :redface: and will retract "most" and replace it with "a shocking percentage" [which i don't know] i admit my source is not that reputable as i can't find it specifically on google

merrymilkman they do teach the american civil war and american medicine, at least at my school, which would just turn me off in a second. hence why i left my historical education 5 years ago and began my love affair with geography.
Reply 694
Lordi came. They rocked. They conquered.
Reply 695
Skeve's back! OMGWTFBBQ...chicken!

Erm...yeah...
Hi, Skeve - how are your exams going? Or have Lordi, Daz Sampson et al rotted your mind? :biggrin:
blondemoment

merrymilkman they do teach the american civil war and american medicine, at least at my school, which would just turn me off in a second. hence why i left my historical education 5 years ago and began my love affair with geography.

American medicine ... as uposed to what? leaching lol
:biggrin:
ha, yeah i didn't mean that its different to englands, i meant you learn the history of the evolution of american medicine. i think maybe as, if you did british history, you'd be going a really long way back in time...dunno tho
since we haven’t really been keeping true to this forums purpose I am going to ask some off topic questions.
What is all this firm, insurance, ect stuff people have next to the unis?
How do you get the little flag thing next to your name?
... I guess that’s it :rolleyes:
Reply 699
In the UK people have to reply to offers from up to 6 unis. They can choose a firm, which is basically saying that's where you will go and you accept the offer. You also choose an insurance, which is where you will go if you don't get the grades to get into your firm.
Get a flag by your name by going into your profile somewhere in the usercp.

Latest

Trending

Trending