The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mainer
Well I do it every day, and it's 15-20 minutes I am also a current student. I have lived in the area my whole life so I*believe I know it better than you do, people can stay where they like but for us few and lowly students we have to look outwith st.Andrews, and to cheaper places as we have to fully support ourselves, we weren't all born with a silver spoon! So if you can payout the prices do it! If not it's not the end of the world.

I guess you're talking to me. I only drive St And-Dundee about once a week, but my office mate does it every day, and the only way you're doing it in 15 minutes is if you're speeding, especially since they changed all the speed limits between St Michaels and the roundabout.

Just because you lived here your whole life doesn't mean you know better than me how long it takes to drive between two places.

And if you're trying to imply I was born with a silver spoon, you're barking up the wrong tree. All the places I lived in (including the ones I mentioned in my previous post) I paid the rent for myself out of money I earned myself. I was just trying to show the other poster that you can find places that are closer than a 35 minute bus ride and don't need you to spend 20 quid a week on a bus.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hey all I firmed my offer (via email) last Thursday but have yet to hear a response from the admissions office confirming it, just wondering if the office is open right now (because it is currently break?) because I'm kind of getting worried now. I would call but because of the time difference it is tricky as I'm international.
Original post by ssswims
Hey all I firmed my offer (via email) last Thursday but have yet to hear a response from the admissions office confirming it, just wondering if the office is open right now (because it is currently break?) because I'm kind of getting worried now. I would call but because of the time difference it is tricky as I'm international.

Yes the office is open now (well during the day it is) if you need to call them.
Is DRA best choice for science students looking for catered en suite?
Original post by ssswims

To be honest I didn't hear for a couple of week from them after I accepted last year so I wouldn't worry about it. :smile:
Did anyone have an interview to get in? I just got invited to one and have no idea what the dress code is! I don't want to turn up over or under dressed for it :|
Also what types of questions did they ask and what course was it for? (if anyone replies)
Help would be appreciated!!
Original post by Unicorndog
Did anyone have an interview to get in? I just got invited to one and have no idea what the dress code is! I don't want to turn up over or under dressed for it :|
Also what types of questions did they ask and what course was it for? (if anyone replies)
Help would be appreciated!!

I have sent you a pm
Original post by Birdie101
To be honest I didn't hear for a couple of week from them after I accepted last year so I wouldn't worry about it. :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: This makes me feel so much better, I feel like I'm going crazy emailing them.
If you submit your accommodation information early (like a first come first served thing) with the specific specifications that the hall you want provides are your chances better of getting that hall? I really want Sallies (kind of obsessed with it really)!!

Also, which hall is the closest to the surfing beach? Where do students put their boards? In the rooms or is there a shed somewhere?
Original post by ssswims
If you submit your accommodation information early (like a first come first served thing) with the specific specifications that the hall you want provides are your chances better of getting that hall? I really want Sallies (kind of obsessed with it really)!!

Also, which hall is the closest to the surfing beach? Where do students put their boards? In the rooms or is there a shed somewhere?

It's not first come, first served. In theory, everyone who gets their application in by the deadline is given equal consideration.

Sallies is a really small hall; there's only about 200 places (not including Gannochy; not sure if that'll be UG or PG next year). Of course, nearly everyone wants standard catered (which is all you can put on your form; you can't pick a hall), and there aren't a lot of places in any of the S/C halls, so if that's what you want, it's lucky if you get any of those (Regs, Sallies, McIntosh, Uni Hall, or John Burnett). Any of those halls are great places to be; they all have their pros and cons (Sallies, for example, is really noisy if you live on B floor or near the Lower College Lawn or the music centre). Lots of people set their heart on one hall, then get a different one and in the long run, it's fine.

The nearest halls to beaches are ABH/Melville and John Burnett (West Sands), Sallies (Castle Sands), and Albany Park (East Sands). I've seen people carrying boards into Sallies so I assume people keep them in their rooms.
Original post by ElizabethRG
It's not first come, first served. In theory, everyone who gets their application in by the deadline is given equal consideration.

Sallies is a really small hall; there's only about 200 places (not including Gannochy; not sure if that'll be UG or PG next year). Of course, nearly everyone wants standard catered (which is all you can put on your form; you can't pick a hall), and there aren't a lot of places in any of the S/C halls, so if that's what you want, it's lucky if you get any of those (Regs, Sallies, McIntosh, Uni Hall, or John Burnett). Any of those halls are great places to be; they all have their pros and cons (Sallies, for example, is really noisy if you live on B floor or near the Lower College Lawn or the music centre). Lots of people set their heart on one hall, then get a different one and in the long run, it's fine.

The nearest halls to beaches are ABH/Melville and John Burnett (West Sands), Sallies (Castle Sands), and Albany Park (East Sands). I've seen people carrying boards into Sallies so I assume people keep them in their rooms.

Thanks for the advice. I have a good friend who lives in Sallies and seeing her room has made me a bit too obsessed with the idea of it. :s-smilie: I'm sure it'll all work out. :smile:
Original post by ssswims
Thank you so much :smile: This makes me feel so much better, I feel like I'm going crazy emailing them.

Yeah I felt like that too, as soon as I got accepted I had a ton of questions and they hadn't even emailed me to confirm my offer. I actually began to think that ucas had made a mistake. But it's cool, they just take a while to process things. :smile:
Original post by ssswims
Thanks for the advice. I have a good friend who lives in Sallies and seeing her room has made me a bit too obsessed with the idea of it. :s-smilie: I'm sure it'll all work out. :smile:

Ah, well, some of the rooms in Sallies are really tiny and really cold if that makes you feel better :smile: Plus the walls on most of the rooms are really thin. Most of the old halls have some gorgeous rooms and some rather gross rooms :biggrin:
Anyone studying Anthropology? - applying for 2016 entry and I'd love some advice on application, reading, etc.

Also what is the catered accommodation like for vegans/vegetarians?
Original post by Cal-lum
Anyone studying Anthropology? - applying for 2016 entry and I'd love some advice on application, reading, etc.

Also what is the catered accommodation like for vegans/vegetarians?

Nothing in Catered is vegan except the salads (and maybe the cereals - they do serve almond/soy milk at breakfast). There is a vegetarian option at every meal but it's the same thing a lot of the time - stuffed peppers and falafel burgers a lot. The two veggies I know in halls both started eating fish because they got sick of the stuffed peppers. If you want to stick to being veggie/vegan, self-catered is your best bet.
Original post by ElizabethRG
Nothing in Catered is vegan except the salads (and maybe the cereals - they do serve almond/soy milk at breakfast). There is a vegetarian option at every meal but it's the same thing a lot of the time - stuffed peppers and falafel burgers a lot. The two veggies I know in halls both started eating fish because they got sick of the stuffed peppers. If you want to stick to being veggie/vegan, self-catered is your best bet.

Wonderful, thank you for your quick response :smile:
So shout out to current students anyone heard when classes start back, I know it says on the website the 26th but I haven't had a timetable or anything.
Normally I would wait but last semester they (classics dept) decided to start a week early but didn't bother emailing anyone.
Any help would be great
Original post by mainer
So shout out to current students anyone heard when classes start back, I know it says on the website the 26th but I haven't had a timetable or anything.
Normally I would wait but last semester they (classics dept) decided to start a week early but didn't bother emailing anyone.
Any help would be great

My timetable's up - start Monday 26th (:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
My timetable's up - start Monday 26th (:

sigh apparently its just my dept that are slow
Thinking a bit ahead here but just wondering what students should pack (particularly girls) for school? Especially with the kind of weather? I don't come from a really rainy climate so I'm just wondering what I'd need outerwear wise & where I'm from everyone pretty much dresses really casual so how much stuff to bring for socials and balls etc.?

Latest

Trending

Trending