The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CW Esq
Which are the big Universities for drinking?

Probably the crappy ones.
Reply 2
Goodness, I can see why you are in the "Wit Society"...
Reply 3
CW Esq

She's probably right.
CW Esq

It's a fair point. How much work is it possible to get done when hammered? And the best Universities are the one who take students who do work (and are therefore not pissed all the time).

Anyway, to answer your question, I doubt there is any official ranking so all the evidence is likely to be anecdotal.
Reply 5
CW Esq

does it matter? if you want to get drunk every night, stay at home get a job and go out with your mates and colleagues saving yourself a bundle on tuition fees and wasted time doing a degree.................leave the university times for those of us that actually want to learn...........what have you got to gain by choosing a university on its "drinking" status except cirrohsis of the liver at 25?

I'm all for going out and having a good time whilst you're there, but its the students that are continually drunk and waste their time that give the rest of us a bad name........
Reply 6
CW Esq

I hope you're asking that question so you know what ones to avoid.

By far the heaviest university for drinking is John Moore's University in Liverpool. They seem to be proud of it though... :confused:
Reply 7
Alternatively you can take the view that the heaviest drinkers are to be found at Oxbridge. It's the only way to cope with the stress
Reply 8
Pentatonic
I hope you're asking that question so you know what ones to avoid.

By far the heaviest university for drinking is John Moore's University in Liverpool. They seem to be proud of it though... :confused:

O great! That's where I'm applying for!
--------------
I think you are all being a bit harsh, none of you know exactly why he has asked, it could be because he wants to avoid those universities??

*notes that someone has already kinda said that* but the rest of ya are still bitches!
Reply 9
claireharmz
O great! That's where I'm applying for!
--------------
I think you are all being a bit harsh, none of you know exactly why he has asked, it could be because he wants to avoid those universities??

*notes that someone has already kinda said that* but the rest of ya are still bitches!

I wasn't aiming my point at the poster specifically - just a general point - and see as this is a place for opinions I think calling us bitches is abit harsh!
For some reason I always think of Loughborough as being big on drinking - not sure why really
Reply 11
i think the OP is already at uni (exeter), so mebbes hes just starting a discussion. and i think slypie is prabably right too. Big city unis will probably ave alot of people who like to drink, i think i heard somewhere that newcastle had a bit of a reputation for it.
Reply 12
I love the way self-righteous people have effectively hijacked this thread. I wasn't condoning drunken debauchery, just asking a rather curious question. Everybody knows University is about drinking as well as work, unless you are a social degenerate. Less of the insolence please.
CW Esq
I love the way self-righteous people have effectively hijacked this thread. I wasn't condoning drunken debauchery, just asking a rather curious question. Everybody knows University is about drinking as well as work, unless you are a social degenerate. Less of the insolence please.

Aye aye, my man. Get off your high horses. University is about FAR more than just going to lectures and getting your first. Sure, it's not just about drink either, but it's a whole spectrum, a learning experiance and when your uni dictates this spectrum, i don't think we should be berating this chap for trying to get as much information of prospective uni's as possible. And besides, i doubt very much the heaviest drinking ones are the worst.
UCL law soc, fyi.
Reply 15
I go out and get drunk, but not all the time. I've not come to uni to ruin my liver and fail a degree. I'm not paying for that. I'm paying to get a good degree, so shut up/
Reply 16
Bekaboo
Alternatively you can take the view that the heaviest drinkers are to be found at Oxbridge. It's the only way to cope with the stress

& if we're talking drinking societies as opposed to just random drinking.. seems to be the Oxbridge ones that are the more notorious/publicised for whatever reasons.
I've had the impression that students at York drink loads.
Well if you take myself..or at least my housemates into account..Sheffield Hallam could be included..
Reply 19
Impossible to tell. Some weeks I might have done 100+ units, other times I wouldn't drink for a term. Depending on who I was hanging around at the time and where I was, the observer (subjective too) might think Bristol was either t-total or AA-central.

You'll find pockets of p*ssheads (no matter how they happen to know each other) in every uni. From one-ff AU initiations (not a representative event really) to downright proper alcoholics, to freshers week [ ;-) ] to those who get absolutely f*cked 2 nights a week and won't touch a drop the other nights.

How do you define the big unis? You can't!

Latest

Trending

Trending