The Student Room Group

What's wrong with the working class?

TL;DR: There is a difference between working class, and dole scrounger

Hello

I see a lot of people around here insulting the working class and am astounded at the ignorance surrounding it all, things like ''working class scum'' and ''lazy working class'' seem to be thrown around a lot, I see some confusion has caused this. So from here I hope to clarify something for everyone, just so there is no further slander sent the working man's way.

1). Working, to work, a verb, this implies the person in the working class is working, (herp).
2). Thus, they are not unemployed. Many of which are not lazy, that is a common trait amongst all bipeds, not specific to any class level!

With this, I would like to point out the common misconception, there is a difference between the working class, and the people you slander that are generally lazy.

So from here on in:

-You may refer to the working class as they are, the lower tier workers of society, many on minimum wage, but nonetheless, working for their living.-

For the members of society that are capable of working, but choose to live on benefits, these are separate to the working class, but due to the generous servings of the government, they may not live too far away from the average working class family, they may often mingle, so be careful as to not confuse them as one entity!

You may refer to these individuals as you wish, ''dole rat'' is a common one, even 'Nikki' or 'Bez' I have heard used a lot. But I do not use them as I do not understand their origins, as I fear they may see me as a slanderous little man, and we wouldn't want that now would we? So next time, before you slander, take a dander. You may offend a working man with your witty remarks.

I hope that has all been cleared up.

Have a nice day :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Most of TSR seems to be middle class I think. :p:
Most of the people here are toffs.

Here endeth the thread.

EDIT: Genocidal already said it so er, there endeth the thread I guess.
Reply 3
there's nothing wrong with the working class.
infact, its the best class because im in it :wink:
Reply 4
^ One other issue, why do people just reply to the thread title and not even read 1 line of the post content (not looking at you Stacey /sarcasm)
Yeah TSR is full of toffs. Not me though, I like to keep it real.
I might switch to 4chan.

Also OP, I don't think most people are being serious, and if they are, they probably wouldnt say it in real life.
Original post by chrislpp
''working class scum''

Sounds like Daily Mail readers.

the person in the working class is working
Thus, they are not unemployed

Being in the working class does not mean that you are employed. In fact, the greatest portion of unemployment is within the working class, possibly through no fault of their own in many cases. But no, being in the working class does not mean that you are working.
Reply 7
Original post by tripleeagle
Sounds like Daily Mail readers.

Being in the working class does not mean that you are employed. In fact, the greatest portion of unemployment is within the working class, possibly through no fault of their own in many cases. But no, being in the working class does not mean that you are working.

It does, there are unemployed in every class, and there are 2 entities here, though people are lazy and label them as one.
Reply 8
There's always a lesson that the Upper Classes sometimes don't learn too well. And that is: condemn and insult those below you at your own risk.
Reply 9
Original post by Martyn*
There's always a lesson that the Upper Classes sometimes don't learn too well. And that is: condemn and insult those below you at your own risk.

The most powerful members of the royal family seem to be doing well and they aren't exactly comfortable around a coloured person, let's bear in mind they were our age when it was ok to think of whites as the 'better' race. Nevermind a working class man.
TSR is full of geeky right-wing fatties who never go out. All the left-leaning (ie the cool kids) prefer to spend the day doing more productive things like watch an art film or something.
It does, there are unemployed in every class, and there are 2 entities here, though people are lazy and label them as one.

Here's a simple classification...

Upper Class:
- Employed
- Unemployed
- In education
- Retired

Middle Class:
- Employed
- Unemployed
- In education
- Retired

Working Class:
- Employed
- Unemployed
- In education
- Retired

You can be Working Class and be unemployed. It's not because you are high-flying lawyer in between jobs that you are in the same class "Unemployed" bracket as a waiter in between jobs.
Which right-wing fatty or hippy douche negged me?
"Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
Ah If I could give you some rep for that I totally would!

I am still amazed by the myopia of some people out there in the world.
I was talking to my mate about staffies and he said "Yeah but you do sometimes see those chavs parading it about with one on a big chain just to intimidate people" - what the hell?! It's a family pet, they're taking it for a walk. Class prejudice much?!
As to unemployment and the working class, this is not a great point with sources and whatever so no one call me up on that lol but say my brother has not worked to support himself at all since he left school and whatever but my middle class parents have had enough money to pay for his living expenses. If we were working class, I would imagine there would be a higher likelihood of my brother, if still unemployed, would rely on the state. And that's when people moan. I hope that makes sense!
Reply 15
People from a working class background are less likely to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

Fact
Reply 16
that wasn't too long...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending