The Student Room Group

Are all ex-polys seen as bad on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ethareal
A few of my friends did music at Kingston. They found it horrific.

Music? Kingston? Seriously? :lolwut:

It's hardly reputable in comparison with the Royal College of Music for example.

Original post by Tolth
Kingston really is just a bad university. I think it was Kingston that was caught trying to artificially inflate their league table positions by faking high student satisfaction scores.

If that is true, close it down.
Original post by im so academic
Fantastic place to do something with Engineering IIRC. :smile:

Yeah I think you're right. People jump down your throat for anything on here even when you say nice things about their University.
Original post by arabcnesbit
My apologies if I caused offence. You learn something new every day. Why did they become universities in the early 90's then? Why not just stay as central institutions?

They were given the right to call themselves universities if they wished.

They all wished.

They wanted to lose the trappings of what they regarded as academic inferiority.
Original post by nulli tertius
They were given the right to call themselves universities if they wished.

They all wished.

They wanted to lose the trappings of what they regarded as academic inferiority.

Fair doos.

If that is true, close it down.

Yeah, I think they were actually banned from appearing on the league tables for a while.
Kingston is a really good example of how the Poly-> University conversion just didn't work; it used to have really solid art and music vocational departments but they were completely lost in the shift towards 'academic' courses.
Reply 85
Most people would probably say my uni is rubbish. However, it's the ONLY university in the country that does my course, and the success rate/employment rate for graduates is very good. So, for my particular course, it's perfect. For someone wanting to do maths or physics... umm... probably not so good. :biggrin:
Reply 86
Original post by yvaiine
Most people would probably say my uni is rubbish. However, it's the ONLY university in the country that does my course, and the success rate/employment rate for graduates is very good. So, for my particular course, it's perfect. For someone wanting to do maths or physics... umm... probably not so good. :biggrin:

I heard that UCLAN actually have a niche strong area in Astrophysics :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Ramses II
I heared that UCLAN are actually have a niche strong area in Astrophysics :smile:

Really? I didn't know that :smile:

The midwifery course is excellent here aswell.
Original post by wdywuk

...and of course, an ex poly has received the most UCAS applications of any UK university, so it appears that 58k+ applicants don't go along with the party line here.

MMU ftw :smug:
Original post by yvaiine

Agreed, it depends on the course.
Who cares what others think, do what you have to do and enjoy it. The best response to the undermining of a person's ex-poly uni is for them to prove them wrong by achieving success and doing well for themselves.

That's not to say there aren't 'bad' ex-poly universities if you measure them objectively (if it's even possible) but that's also the case for non ex-poly universities too...there's always good and bad. I think it's pretty ridiculous to dismiss a uni solely because it's an ex-poly. One's past should not determine how it's perceived in the present.

Surrey is an ex-poly and for some courses it is absolutely fantastic. Some of its engineering departments are ranked in the top 5 in the country, some even coming ahead of Oxbridge's departments. This is just one example, I'm sure there are many ex-poly universities who do really well.
I read that London Metropolitan University refuses to publish its statistics, bear that in mind about some ex polys OP.
Original post by babygirl110
I read that London Metropolitan University refuses to publish its statistics, bear that in mind about some ex polys OP.

It has changed that policy, probably because it believes that it has weathered its crisis.
I'm all for studying accredited degrees at ex-polys. :smile:

Just rather they weren't degrees? :wink:
Original post by TheSownRose

Original post by TheSownRose
Just rather they weren't degrees? :wink:

Really depends on the actual subject. But, if they are accredited, then it doesn't really bother me.

What annoys me are courses like this one,

How on earth can that be considered as a BSc?
Really depends on the actual subject. But, if they are accredited, then it doesn't really bother me.

What annoys me are courses like this one,

I don't know - I've never studied it and am going to guess you haven't either. If either of us had, we might know why it's a B.Sc...

Is it really any more weird than a BA in physics or an MSc in English local history or a BSc in history and politics. You used to be able to do a BSc in law but that seems to have gone apart from joint honours.

Is it really any more weird than a BA in physics or an MSc in English local history or a BSc in history and politics. You used to be able to do a BSc in law but that seems to have gone apart from joint honours.

Science degrees at Oxbridge are BAs for traditional reasons, but BSc in content. There's nothing wrong with this course.

The fact is that Physics, (English local) History, Politics and Law are all good subjects to take at undergraduate level (or the English local History one for postgraduate).

I cannot see an justification for Culinary Arts Management.
Original post by Mythic Madness
Is it good for construction, building and surveying? That is what QS is part of.

i think i heard off someone it is quite good for building and surveying
Reply 99
Original post by Tolth
Yeah, I think they were actually banned from appearing on the league tables for a while.
Kingston is a really good example of how the Poly-> University conversion just didn't work; it used to have really solid art and music vocational departments but they were completely lost in the shift towards 'academic' courses.

I don't know the in's and out's of Kingstons history post '92.

But I think it's possible we've exceeded the number of people admitted to undergrad courses who are suited to undergrad style study... and if that's happening most of those people would be expected to end up in the institutions making the lowest offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending