The Student Room Group

Help I need advice with my sister’s family matter

I feel sorry and bad for my sister as she has to go through a lot of rubbish from the “ex in laws”. Ever since she left the ex bf, her and my nieces have moved back to our home and I’m like my niece’s second parent as I babysit them sometimes.

Anyway, the other side of the family or the in-laws has only ever visited my nieces once in like a year. They’ve suggested that my sister borrow my car to drive my nieces to their place. Mind you this is like a long hours car journey, I wouldn’t trust my car to be driven that far without breaking down and I don’t think she’s confident enough to drive in motorway. As for public transport, I think it would be quiet a hassle and difficult with two young children.

Anyway, the main issue here is I don’t understand why they think it’s acceptable or appropriate to expect my sister to come to theirs when she has very little means to get to them. It is hard enough for her to manage two little children let alone travel with them for hours.

My sister doesn’t want to be seen as if she doesn’t want them to see her children so she has asked me a few times but I had advised her not to go and let them come. Btw, they have every means to come as they all have the comfort of their cars, so really there’s no excuse why they can’t come, unless they think it should be turn taking.

Anyway I just want your opinion on this, as an outsider.
Reply 1
If they want a relationship with the kids, they will make an effort. There is video chat, calls, the lot. Seriously no excuse to not visit unless they have a major disability.

I’m sorry for your sister’s situation. Hope for the best for her and the kids.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If they want a relationship with the kids, they will make an effort. There is video chat, calls, the lot. Seriously no excuse to not visit unless they have a major disability.

I’m sorry for your sister’s situation. Hope for the best for her and the kids.

I think because the in-laws came over last time they think it’s my sister turn to make an effort and come over to theirs with my nieces, is this reasonable? Even though they know my sister doesn’t have a car and would have to borrow mine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending