The Student Room Group

What are British famous for in the whole world?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
as a Canadian, I have to say... hot boys & sexy accents :biggrin:
Reply 41
being the best counrty in the world
Reply 42
Charles Darwin, the disprover of creation.
Original post by escape
Do you always quote Hugh Grant?

Actually, Hugh Grant! He's quite famous innit!

High Grant has a fetish for women pissing on his hand :holmes:
Original post by Ferrero Rocher
I mean what they are well-known for in the whole world? :smile:

From France :

Bad :
obesity
English girl
hooligan
disgusting food

Good :
University
Football
The British "gentleman"
English "weirdness", eccentricity
Monarchy

Probably other I can't think about.
Original post by LysFromParis
From France: Disgusting food.

You serious? the fry up is amazing... better Bacon than France too :wink: :tongue:

Well the fry up, queen, football, hooligans, british politeness, british snobbery, Hugh Grant, David Beckham, the empire and the NHS... although it isn't what it used to be... hello Cuba :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by Renner
In China at least:

Football, Harry Potter, Monarchy, the Empire, Football.

I keep being told that Britian is a strong and powerfull country, why we Brits talk ourselves down is beyond me

Because the media in this country has changed the way we think about ourselves the same way bullies change the opinion of victims in schools so they consider themselves worthless etc.
slave trade,opium wars,colonialism (invasion of weak countries),tea,"poshness",complaining,bad teeth etc.
Reply 48
FOOTBALL.

Also, fish and chips and Oxbridge... And Harry Potter :biggrin:
Reply 49

^ I win
In the words of my Taiwanese friends: "Before we met you we thought that all British people are arrogant. Why else would you have put the word 'Great' in front of Britain?" Fair point.
Complaining (behind someone's back rather than full on confrontation)
Waiting in lines
Ugly women, ugly men, good literature, good humour.
Reply 53
Chavs
Reply 54
Original post by tehFrance
You serious? the fry up is amazing... better Bacon than France too :wink: :tongue:

Well the fry up, queen, football, hooligans, british politeness, british snobbery, Hugh Grant, David Beckham, the empire and the NHS... although it isn't what it used to be... hello Cuba :tongue:

that is why he added obesity
Original post by tehFrance

We tend to not considering frying stuff as good cuisine :biggrin:.
Original post by LysFromParis
We tend to not considering frying stuff as good cuisine :biggrin:.

Stop generalising, I'm from France and love it... even top chefs say that some british food is better than the French counter-parts :wink: :tongue:
Original post by Miss Communication
Good-looking guys. :P :P :P

I found a website in my language that suggests England has the most good looking guys! :smile: I am not posting it here because you guys won't understand it. Don't know how they measure that, probably just asking hundreds of women XD

But before coming to UK, I heard that England is very posh country! I didnt know about Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland though.
(edited 13 years ago)
I KNOW THAT THEY ARE Stereotypes :

Yellow teeth
Tea (with milk)
English breakfast : bacon, eggs and baked beans
Bad weather, "It rains everyday"
Don't speak foreign languages
Girls are easy and "dress inappropriately" (no offence)
Drink till they get drunk
Rude
Snobbish
Bad food
Cold people
Fat girls
Reserved people
Reply 59
Harry Potter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending