The Student Room Group

Do you brag on facebook

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't really bother much about how I come across on facebook, I've never been one of those people who needs to take a tonne of pictures at every single social event they ever go to. Most of my statuses are either funny things that have happened or happy stuff (but more along the lines of "Day out with my Granny, I'm so cool :tongue:" than "Whooo, shiny new phone") or the odd complaint about schoolwork. I haven't noticed my friends being particularly brag-y either, although a fair few do the aforementioned obsessive picture taking thing.
Reply 61
Original post by Pengwan
There was this dick that posted a status about his 5 conditional offers, and then posted a print screen a few days later of his UCAS showing that he had 5 conditionals.

LOOOOOL!!
I quit facebook due to all the annoying reasons mentioned!
I usually un-tag unflattering pictures of myself. I'm not a photogenic person anyway so when randomly caught on camera (e.g drunk or generally unprepared) I tend to look like the grinch.
Original post by chickenkatsu
OP, parents are definitely worse because I don't think they actively realise the one-upmanship is so obvious.
Teens can obviously brag ie: 'Wooo im going to Malia with my 20 best friends! Woo I just got a new iPad because laptops are passe! Ahh dinner with my boyfriend we're sooo in love' BUT from what I've seen of my parents' friends and friends' parents, they don't seem to realise that these oversharing updates on Twitter and Facebook about organic vegetable crates, lunch at a boutique cafe in Notting Hill and their new home cinema systems are just as attention-seeking as their kids' posts.
Ditto updates about the stresses of running their own business/paying for school skiing trips/finishing some important keynote speech for their banking job or whatever.

...they're excuding a certain lifestyle which seems "acceptable" to them and their friends, its not aspirational because its all firmly middle-class-wish-i-was-richer-and-had-more-leave-from-work... and so they forget that what they're talking about is actually fully inaccessible/boring to most of the population.

Ditto.
Original post by ktlaurenroe
I usually un-tag unflattering pictures of myself. I'm not a photogenic person anyway so when randomly caught on camera (e.g drunk or generally unprepared) I tend to look like the grinch.

Me too. :frown:
Reply 66
The only reason I have fb is it's easy to talk to aquaintances, keep contacts and ask favours from people you don't necessarily want to give your phone number or email to. It's also good for keeping in touch. I don't really broadcast anything about myself on fb.
Reply 67
I don't brag on facebook but I love showing off my 10 inch penis on cam sites. :colondollar:
Picking things out from the above things that annoy people, here's my list:

- "OMGZZZZ Luv ma bf sooooo much, X and Y 4eva xxxxxxx" with accompanying posts to said BF's wall of "xxxxoxxxxxx <3 <3 <3 xxxxxxxx" and pictures of them making cupcakes together on valentines day (BOKE! - referring to my flatmate and her ever-present bitch)
- Pregnant teens posting about their pregnancies and getting congratulated on fbook for it - well done, you've achieved breeding
- People who re-post photo albums, so even if you're looking through their photos out of interest you realise that they're from two years ago and are already in another album on their profile.
- "One day you'll realise what an idiot you've been, grow up" etc etc etc
- Relationship statuses changing from single to engaged to single to in a relationship to in a complicated relationship to engaged. Within the space of two days
- People who start arguments on photos you are tagged in, about something unrelated to the photo. So you get heaps of notifications irrelevant to you
I don't untag photos of me ever because i'm super sexy all the time
(That was a lie. I don't untag photos because I know everyone on my facebook in real life, and they know what I look like, so if it truly is a bad picture, they'd just think 'ha she looks bad in that picture' not 'omfg her face has changed and she is now some sort of hideous squinting creature' also, bad photos can sometimes be bloody hilarious. I don't care if strangers think I'm not some perfectly posed smiling weirdo every second of my life.

In terms of status updates etc, I usually only post them for a laugh, so I suppose the difference between facebook me and real life me is that in real, actual life I am sometimes forced to speak about boring, dull things whereas on facebook you can sort of..select bits of your thoughts that are at least a bit interesting/amusing. I don't think that's being fake, though.. It's just not wanting to bore everyone with 'hmm.. I fancy some mashed potato right now' or 'I think i'll go to the shop..'

I guess in my world, facebook exists to amuse me, not tell people everything about my boring dull life that they already know
Reply 70
Original post by chickenkatsu
OP, parents are definitely worse because I don't think they actively realise the one-upmanship is so obvious.
Teens can obviously brag ie: 'Wooo im going to Malia with my 20 best friends! Woo I just got a new iPad because laptops are passe! Ahh dinner with my boyfriend we're sooo in love' BUT from what I've seen of my parents' friends and friends' parents, they don't seem to realise that these oversharing updates on Twitter and Facebook about organic vegetable crates, lunch at a boutique cafe in Notting Hill and their new home cinema systems are just as attention-seeking as their kids' posts.
Ditto updates about the stresses of running their own business/paying for school skiing trips/finishing some important keynote speech for their banking job or whatever.

...they're excuding a certain lifestyle which seems "acceptable" to them and their friends, its not aspirational because its all firmly middle-class-wish-i-was-richer-and-had-more-leave-from-work... and so they forget that what they're talking about is actually fully inaccessible/boring to most of the population.

I think that in the case of facebook, most people over 30 have a different approach to it. I don't have a lot of people in the age of 30-40-50 on facebook (luckily my parents are not there), but the few I have tend to post updates which are concerning family life, their children, holidays etc. They may 'brag' about stuff that is important to them, and that shows success on their terms. For instance "spent the entire day skiing with the kids - now relaxing in front of the fireplace". When I mentioned it to my parents they went 'oh that is so embarrassing', as it sounds like they are smudging their happy family life in everybody's faces, not to mention that to those who are not familiar with facebook, the random updates seem insane.
My mother is paranoid about facebook pictures - I have explained that there are other girls in bikinis, being drunk etc - I have no photos like that - but she still complains if she sees a profile pic of me in a tank top or something slightly low cut. She thinks that if I pose in a photo, not smile, or have one added that is taken of a photographer friend, I am 'showing off', and taking myself wayy to seriously. Obviously she doesn't know what is out there, I have very few photos, and my profile is very neutral. I think there is a huge distinction between those who have been on facebook since around 2006 and those who came way later. There are certain 'codes' young people are familiar with - those who also follow a lot of fashion blogs, tumblr, pro-ana in some cases, etc etc. These codes are very slim, it is difficult to explain why one photo or status update is okay whereas another is not. Those who come across as the most cringeworthy are those who are unfamiliar with the codes, whether they'd be 20 or 45 (usually much more of them at 45, but at least they're forgiven due to age).
Reply 71
I wouldn't untag myself from a photo just because I disliked it, but considering I have both of my parents on there, I would detag a photo if it was something they really shouldn't see. So far, there have been no such incidents, but I know there are photos of me that I definitely wouldn't want them to see, so I'm just wanting for someone to go on a tagging spree. I think it's fair enough to detag things in this sort of situation!
There are three types of statuses that really irritate me. Here are some real life examples to illustrate my point.

-Lovey-dovey relationship stuff: "I Actually feel like I am the luckiest girl in the world as I have the best boyfriend ever. I love you so much hunni, missing you loads <3"

-Arguments: "WHATEVER WORTHLESS **** THAT IS WRITING **** ABOUT ME AND (her daugher's name) OVER FORMSPRING BE CAREFUL BECAUSE I WILL FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE! YOU OBSESSED LOW LIFE WEIRDO! BIG ENOUGH TO WRITE IT ON THERE BE BIG ENOUGH TO WRITE IT ON MY ****ING WALL!!!" (that's a pretty well written one for her!)

-Attempts at being intelligent/witty: "tories are angling for military action in libya. funny how the dictators we take action against have a habit of being the ones with oil. weird that :/" (Maybe it's because he's my ex-bf that all his posts seem obnoxious)

EDIT: Oh, and attention/sympathy-seeking posts: (after 2 other posts on that topic within the hour) "I know i keep posting this but, tummy absolutly kills :'( someone make it better"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 73
I post random stuff every couple of days, like

positive and motivated!!

Nerrrvvv!...

Woried about results. Saving for a grand piano.

Hmmm

'Insert moan about car insurance'

how dull. Certainally no bragging though..
Original post by blue_shift86
hiya!!!!!! :biggrin:....long time no see :P how've u been?

Oh, OK. Still not got a job yet though I am trying to get one. Just wish I could go travelling again - it's all I can think about at times. At least not having a job atm means I can follow the Cricket World Cup live, and the 6 Nations...
Original post by *Lollo*
I think there is a huge distinction between those who have been on facebook since around 2006 and those who came way later. There are certain 'codes' young people are familiar with - those who also follow a lot of fashion blogs, tumblr, pro-ana in some cases, etc etc. These codes are very slim, it is difficult to explain why one photo or status update is okay whereas another is not. Those who come across as the most cringeworthy are those who are unfamiliar with the codes, whether they'd be 20 or 45 (usually much more of them at 45, but at least they're forgiven due to age).

Hmmm, and what codes are these then? Sounds interesting (I've been on Facebook since 2006)...
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Oh, OK. Still not got a job yet though I am trying to get one. Just wish I could go travelling again - it's all I can think about at times. At least not having a job atm means I can follow the Cricket World Cup live, and the 6 Nations...

i'm jobless too, and i day dream about traveling almost daily! :P. I'm keeping myself busy though - few hours job hunting, rock climbing, tv and movies, reading, museums. I mean u can't let life stop just cos a job doesn't come around right? :smile:

Good luck with the job and *high 5* to kicking some scottish butt in rugby today :tongue:
Reply 77
In 4 years I've posted one status update.
Reply 78
everyone has its own way to use facebook.
if you judge others to be bad you are no better
Original post by Eagle1
everyone has its own way to use facebook.
if you judge others to be bad you are no better

agreed, but some people don't realise how vacuous/inapplicable what they're saying is...as I posted earlier, the oversharing from parents generation seems to forget the point of networking, its more like having someone shout their tax return down your ear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending