The Student Room Group

A-Level grades on CV’s?

Is this needed?
Once I have my degree would anyone care (or even notice) if I don’t include my a-level grades?
Original post by catcomputer
Is this needed?
Once I have my degree would anyone care (or even notice) if I don’t include my a-level grades?

It depends on the employer and what they are specifically looking for. If the job ad specifically requires you to list your A Levels, you include your A Levels.

In practice, what you include or exclude in your CV is up to you. However, if you don't get an interview, then that's down on you.
I don’t think many employers care about A Level grades once you have your degree, not in my experience at least.

It’s up to you how you present yourself on your CV, but you can put a positive spin on bad grades. For example, getting a first class degree demonstrates the commitment needed to turn things around academically.
Is this needed?

I suppose it depends on the jobs you are applying for and what they require.
I personally have, but then again i havent got a degree.
It wouldnt hurt to put them on there. If you dont, then putting X amount of a-levels, grades a-c (or something similar) would suffice.
Is this needed?

They will notice, the questions are - will they care and what will they assume and what will that mean to your application?

Will they care? Your judgement on how academic a role you are applying for. If academic standards are important to the employer they will care and wonder. If they aren't all about academic standards, they may not care.

What will they assume? Well as a CV is a bragging document, the obvious inference is that you aren't proud of your A levels, which nowadays means less than about BBB. if you got less than BBB then you lose nothing by hiding your grades, if you are mincing about getting A*AB then it might reduce the strength of your CV to miss them out.

What will it mean to your application? Well you lose control of the assumptions that might be made - ie why aren't you bragging about your A level grades. It's your judgement whether the benefit lies in revealing them ,or not, to each employer.
Reply 5
I’ve never listed them on my CV, not since graduating uni anyway. I’ve never really been asked about them in any interviews either but like people have already said, it probably depends on what roles you’re actually applying for.
Original post by hannychica
I don’t think many employers care about A Level grades once you have your degree, not in my experience at least.

It’s up to you how you present yourself on your CV, but you can put a positive spin on bad grades. For example, getting a first class degree demonstrates the commitment needed to turn things around academically.

Put them on, most people have a degree and it's a way to indicate your quality if your university does not do so already. Someone with a 2.1 and AAA is a stronger candidate than another 2.1 BBB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending