The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tgarrud

Original post by tgarrud
I noticed in your sig that you're applying to Magdalen college. I stayed there this week and it's rather nice, though I feel I should warn you that the college food was horrible :P

UNIQ?
Reply 3421
Original post by such_a_lady
Have you no sympathy? :tongue: Actually, you'd better not answer that. How's the PS going? And why did you choose Balliol? :smile:

Focused on IB revision atm, procrastinating on PS like there's no tomorrow. I chose Balliol because it's very central, has quite a large student body, has one of the more active JCRs (and a student-run bar, it's a factor, not going to lie) and I really like the look of the place too.
Original post by tgarrud
I noticed in your sig that you're applying to Magdalen college. I stayed there this week and it's rather nice, though I feel I should warn you that the college food was horrible :P

Oh no!

Speaking of Magdalen, I had a look the other night at the Oxford map, and realised that Magdalen is such a trek away from the languages buildings :frown: I then checked out the colleges NEAR the languages buildings and none of them were suitable :/ Magdalen it is!

Original post by Eldedu
Focused on IB revision atm, procrastinating on PS like there's no tomorrow. I chose Balliol because it's very central, has quite a large student body, has one of the more active JCRs (and a student-run bar, it's a factor, not going to lie) and I really like the look of the place too.

What, you still have exams!?
Speaking of Magdalen, I had a look the other night at the Oxford map, and realised that Magdalen is such a trek away from the languages buildings :frown: I then checked out the colleges NEAR the languages buildings and none of them were suitable :/ Magdalen it is!
What made you disregard them as not suitable? The lack of deer? :biggrin:
Reply 3424
What, you still have exams!?

Southern hemisphere, exams are in November, mocks begin August 8th.
Original post by fluteflute

Oh ha ha :tongue: Erm...Trinity had no German tutors, other colleges didn't do my course, another didnt do full accomm...

The deer park is the secret of their success in exams (according to the Norrington Table) and on University Challenge (Magdalen Chan anyone - that was their fourth time winning) - it is also why five members of the current cabinet went to Magdalen, including Hague and Osborne (it's entirely not due to the relative wealth of the college)
(edited 12 years ago)
GUYS! GUYS!!!

Let's go to Offord :biggrin:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
GUYS! GUYS!!!

Let's go to Offord :biggrin:

But... but... i don't wanna be a realtor! :frown:
UNIQ?

Yeps, got back yesterday.
Original post by tgarrud
Yeps, got back yesterday.

Did it tip you back towards Oxford?
Did it tip you back towards Oxford?

Yeah it really did. I got to meet some amazing professors (Peter Holland is awesome :biggrin:) and got to use their labs and go into the bod and radcliffe libraries and spend an awesome afternoon in the natural history museum. The other people on my course were also really nice so I'm thinking maybe it was just coincidence I met so many horrible people at Balliol lol. Also met a fair few students who were Mentors for the week and they all seemed really nice.
Also had a tutorial during the week which was really good, I think that being able to learn through tutorials would be very beneficial.
Original post by tgarrud

Original post by tgarrud
Yeah it really did. I got to meet some amazing professors (Peter Holland is awesome :biggrin:) and got to use their labs and go into the bod and radcliffe libraries and spend an awesome afternoon in the natural history museum. The other people on my course were also really nice so I'm thinking maybe it was just coincidence I met so many horrible people at Balliol lol. Also met a fair few students who were Mentors for the week and they all seemed really nice.
Also had a tutorial during the week which was really good, I think that being able to learn through tutorials would be very beneficial.

You're making me rather look forward to heading off to UNIQ! (another week to go...)
You're making me rather look forward to heading off to UNIQ! (another week to go...)

I'm certain you'll really enjoy it :smile: What course are you doing there? (sorry if you've said already in this thread and I've just missed it :P)
Original post by tgarrud

Original post by tgarrud
I'm certain you'll really enjoy it :smile: What course are you doing there? (sorry if you've said already in this thread and I've just missed it :P)

Computer Science :smile: (I don't think I have said)

I assume you did Biology, judging by the spreadsheet :smile:
I wish I'd remembered about the UNIQ deadline instead of being at my ex's house! What an idiot!

I wish I'd remembered about the UNIQ deadline instead of being at my ex's house! What an idiot!
Were they your ex at the time? :tongue:
I actually can’t choose a college. Don’t really see the importance anyways and I’ve only been to one
Were they your ex at the time? :tongue:

No :tongue: I like the diplomatic use of "they" rather than "he" or "she". Very nice. But no, he wasn't, obviously :tongue:
I'm going to Oxford for UNIQ tomorrow! I'll have to give you all a detailed report when I get back :ninja:

I should really be in bed now considering I have to get up at six, but I'm a rebel so meh :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending