The Student Room Group

Was Tony Blair one of "the greatest"?

I'm not talking about whether TB was a good prime minister, whether you liked him or not, i'm just asking, is he one of "the greatest"? What this means is will he be remembered in say 20, 50 or 100 years time? in the future, if people are asked "can you name a past prime minister", will he be one of the more popular options? (if you think about it, if you asked someone now, the most popular options would be Churchill and Thatcher, hardly anyone (with general knowledge) would mention Asquith or Chamberlain - so Churchill and Thatcher are one of "the greatest"). Will Tony Blair be remembered in the future?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He is defenatly (sp oops!) the best labour PM ever, certainly better than Harold Wilson's era that caused nothing but strikes leading to the tories popularity in the late 70's hence Maggie getting voted as PM.

Blair likes to make an impact and this is somthing he certainly knows how to do.
Reply 2
elpaw
I'm not talking about whether TB was a good prime minister, whether you liked him or not, i'm just asking, is he one of "the greatest"? What this means is will he be remembered in say 20, 50 or 100 years time? in the future, if people are asked "can you name a past prime minister", will he be one of the more popular options? (if you think about it, if you asked someone now, the most popular options would be Churchill and Thatcher, hardly anyone (with general knowledge) would mention Asquith or Chamberlain - so Churchill and Thatcher are one of "the greatest"). Will Tony Blair be remembered in the future?

Asquith and Chamberlain were not great anyway, they were both failures militarily (Gallipolli and Munich agreement).

We can look on Churchill for WW2, and Thatcher for the Falkland wars. All we need is dear Tony to have UK invaded by Albania, then we go and slaughter soldiers, women and children. Then Tony will be on easy street, remembered for eternity (or until a black home comes near earth, yes I watched 10 minute space program last night on bbc 2)

What will Tony be remembered for...the main event was sept 11th, so I think he probably does have staying power. Lets hope he is not like Hear say, beacuse Tony is always our number 1.
amazingtrade
defenatly (sp oops!)

Definitely

Define + finite + ly with the e removed.
Reply 4
From a non-British point of view: no. I think we expected too much. His behaviour when it came to the Iraq war made him one of the most hated persons in Germany... Not that it should bother anybody though... But I was also very disappointed! :frown:
He is defenatly (sp oops!) the best labour PM ever, certainly better than Harold Wilson's era that caused nothing but strikes leading to the tories popularity in the late 70's hence Maggie getting voted as PM.

I would argue that Clement Attlee and the post-war Labour government was pretty significant!
Reply 6
Isn't Blair the only PM to have 2 terms in office. If so, i'd say that was quite significant.
Reply 7
jammyd
Isn't Blair the only PM to have 2 terms in office. If so, i'd say that was quite significant.

The only Labor PM.
Reply 8
ben2111
From a non-British point of view: no. I think we expected too much. His behaviour when it came to the Iraq war made him one of the most hated persons in Germany... Not that it should bother anybody though... But I was also very disappointed! :frown:

On the other hand it made him one of the most popular men in the most powerfull country in the world :tongue:

Why would the German people hate him for doing something on his principles that he beleived in, surley Germans know something about mistakes? :s
Reply 9
Well, I don't think he has much to sing about. His domestic policies have been an unmitigated shambles.

Despite splashing out vast gobs of cash there has been no marked improvement in the NHS or education.

His transport policy is a sham. He has failed to address spiralling crime and hasn't a clue how to tackle the immigration issue.

Domestically, a flop.

His international policy seems to revolve only around giving Bush great head, and sending troops to wars without any clear consensus of British opinion, and without basic equipment for the job.

The man is an unmitigated disgrace and should fall on his sword before someone knives him in the back.
Reply 10
Howard
Well, I don't think he has much to sing about. His domestic policies have been an unmitigated shambles.

Despite splashing out vast gobs of cash there has been no marked improvement in the NHS or education.

His transport policy is a sham. He has failed to address spiralling crime and hasn't a clue how to tackle the immigration issue.

Domestically, a flop.

His international policy seems to revolve only around giving Bush great head, and sending troops to wars without any clear consensus of British opinion, and without basic equipment for the job.

The man is an unmitigated disgrace and should fall on his sword before someone knives him in the back.

There has been a marked improvement in the NHS and education if you actually look at the figures in more detail.

The transport policy is ok but the tories have alot to answer for there.

Apart from violent crime its improved since labour have been in power, the immigration issue is only an issue for the Sun.
Reply 11
elpaw

i dont reckon he will be
Reply 12
Muffle
On the other hand it made him one of the most popular men in the most powerfull country in the world :tongue:

Why would the German people hate him for doing something on his principles that he beleived in, surley Germans know something about mistakes? :s

I know ;-) But honestly, do you still believe he did it for principles? I mean the way all the reports about weapons were faked says a lot about how much they wanted the war!
Reply 13
ben2111
I know ;-) But honestly, do you still believe he did it for principles? I mean the way all the reports about weapons were faked says a lot about how much they wanted the war!

I think that says alot about the American Government (not americans) however I think the fact that he has staked his reputation on this issue means he did beleive in it and did do it on principle. On hindsight it would obviously be better to do it with UN approval but theres no telling how long that would take. I wasnt aware of any major questions about the integrity of intellegince just that it wasnt as conclusive as some reports made out?

If he was lying then he will probably be gone by the end of the week, if he really didnt beleive in the issue then I doubt he would have let it come to this?
Reply 14
Muffle
There has been a marked improvement in the NHS and education if you actually look at the figures in more detail.

The transport policy is ok but the tories have alot to answer for there.

Apart from violent crime its improved since labour have been in power, the immigration issue is only an issue for the Sun.

Let's take one at a time.

Total Robbery (Source: Police 999.com)

1997/1998 62,652
2001/2002 121,375 28

Erm........that's a 100% increase over a 4-5 year period isn't it?
Reply 15
Howard
Let's take one at a time.

Total Robbery (Source: Police 999.com)

1997/1998 62,652
2001/2002 121,375 28

Erm........that's a 100% increase over a 4-5 year period isn't it?

Look at the figures in total, its impossible to deal with crime in its totallity. Governments tend to pour money into the worst effected areas (ie- where most deaths, or damage is being done) then when those areas are good they move to the ones that have gotten worse and the process repeats. It doesent work, but there isnt any better way :tongue:
Reply 16
Blair doesn't even run this country anymore! He is not the most powerful man! He is tryin to make his place in history and is making a good job of that whilst destroying our country.
Reply 17
Daveo
Blair doesn't even run this country anymore! He is not the most powerful man! He is tryin to make his place in history and is making a good job of that whilst destroying our country.

What are you talking about, we wouldnt have gone to war witout him, top-up fees are about to be passed (probably)? I think hes still in power.
Reply 18
Muffle
the immigration issue is only an issue for the Sun.

Oh dear.......wrong again! Apparently immigration is not an issue of consequence only to the editorial board and readership of the Sun.

"Public concerns about immigration and race relations in Britain have dramatically increased in the past five years, according to a survey just published. A total of 19% of people questioned cited the issue among the three most important problems in the UK, compared with just 3% in 1996"

"It topped economy, education, drugs or Europe in the poll "What's Worrying Britain?," commissioned by the United Nations Population Fund"

Source: BBC Home Page Thursday, 21 June, 2001, 11:54 GMT 12:54 UK
Immigration concerns multiply
Reply 19
Muffle
What are you talking about, we wouldnt have gone to war witout him, top-up fees are about to be passed (probably)? I think hes still in power.

Yes he followed the USA to war (which i agree with). However he isn't the most powerful man in the UK! Gordon Brown is! The only reason that the top up fees vote will get through is because Gordon Brown has arranged for all the people backing him, who were goin to vote against the bill, to vote for the bill as it isn't the right time for Gordon yet.

Latest

Trending

Trending