The Student Room Group

People who shouldn't get into Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mm_Minty
It is amazing the amount of people who turn up to classes in college and lectures/seminars at uni without a pen and paper, and do it consistently.
It's like, you being here isn't exactly a surprise, it takes 10 seconds to pack some paper and pens FFS.

So true! So many people in my college class do this, and I just think "urgh, this isn't secondary school anymore!" :facepalm:. There's even a high street next to our college where they could just pop into a shop whenever and buy a whole pack of biros for a pound, but I guess some people don't have much initiative :rolleyes:
Original post by street.lovin'
I have to say that in a BTEC classroom you get that a lot. My boyfriend does BTEC Construction and he said that a lot of people who does BTEC are ones who dropped out of college before or ones that don't do well at GCSEs (my BF, for one). So, it is quite easy to assume that their attitudes are going to be like that. I understand you OP, some people just aren't trying at all.

You are being so narrow minded here. So I might have to be blunt with you as well. BTEC can lead you to do lots of things. A lot of people might say it's not as respected as A-levels, but what you have to understand is that you cannot just assume people who does BTEC will do tha tkind of jobs. The texts in bold from your comment is a bit of an insult. I know people who does BTEC Construction and they get intereviewed with big construction companies for a job. (Whether they get it or not, it's another story.) They don't end up being groundworkers or a CSCS card holding labourer as you suggested.

BTEC Construction can lead to university. I, personally, think it gives you very good research skills. BTEC Construction gives you very very good knowledge of what happen in Construction step by step. It's also very practical, they learn how to use CAD, learn the structure of buildings and every single details of it. It's not easy. I think BTEC Construction is very suitable for Building Surveying degree at uni. Mainly because it's just good. (A lot of people would neg me for this) I am no expert in Building Surveying, by the way.

Also, you need very good time management, because having 6 or more assignment to finish off in very short period of time are not easy. I fyou can't do that, you will just end up with MMM or PPP or somthing like that. :P

Just because majority of people who go to FE College and does BTEC are drop out students/students who failed at GCSEs because they didn't try hard, it doesn't mean they ALL will end up doing badly in life (e.g. becoming groundworkers and got paid £6 an hour.) I know few people who did amazing at GCSEs and go for BTEC Construction because it's what he wants to do and it's what interests him the most.

I agree with the first half of your comment about how people on the course are often ones with bad attitudes, but I am not saying they all are and they all will be. It is just nto a surprise for me when I heard this kind of story. However, you have no right to insult someone els's qualification. It doesn't affect your life. :smile:

But you did, why?

This has to be the most epic comeback/win!
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
I think I am old enough to form a good opinion on who is a waste of money and space in a university no matter how crap it may be. You will see come May how many applicants have rushed to get into uni before the tuition hike.

You really think you can accurately judge whether someone should be furthering their education or not? You're a student who isn't even at university yet from what I can tell, so I'd leave the process of deciding who should and shouldn't get into university in the hands of admissions tutors who know what they're doing rather than forming conclusions based on sketchy opinions.
Reply 43
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Her exact words.....
Although I don't know who she's going out with anyone because even the most hardened party-goers have spent the last week or so in the library panicking because we've got so much work at the moment.

At least you're smart enough to do your work :biggrin:. You'll go places.
Some people go to uni simply because they don't know what else to do.
Reply 45
Original post by cjcw20
I know what you're saying, but its not your problem to worry about unless its having a detrimental effect on your work and grades? If it is, then there's no point complaining to us on here. Take it up with one of your tutors. If it isn't, then just put your head down and get on with it. There's going to be people in your uni classes who you wont like and who you think are slackers too. And it'll be the same in your eventual work place. Its the same everywhere. As long as you get out of it what you want, f*ck the rest.

Oh its not having a detrimental ffect on me, it would have maybe a year ago or so but the fact remains, these 2 classes have slowed the course right down.

Rather than enjoying the last lessons of my course and picking through details to help me further understand a subject I want a career in is, well, obviously important. I cannot do that unless its break time. It sucks.

If this were to happen on a degree course during the first year and I come across slackers I will in no way restrain myself from telling them what i think. I'll inform the tutor as well because whilst this course may be slacker heaven, I wont tolerate it on a degree course.

Original post by i.am.lost
You really think you can accurately judge whether someone should be furthering their education or not? You're a student who isn't even at university yet from what I can tell, so I'd leave the process of deciding who should and shouldn't get into university in the hands of admissions tutors who know what they're doing rather than forming conclusions based on sketchy opinions.

Oh cant I?

I know for a fact that admission tutors dont get it anywhere near 50% success rate. Why?

Look at the big degrees, how many English students enter a lecture to see 200+ and those 200 become less than 150 by the time the first year is over. its worse than that on average by the time the second year finishes. You cannot see who is bad/bored by a subject by using UCAS, you can by observing their behaviour.

Original post by jelly1000
Some people go to uni simply because they don't know what else to do.

Yes.

It is why the application system needs changing.
Reply 46
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
So true! So many people in my college class do this, and I just think "urgh, this isn't secondary school anymore!" :facepalm:. There's even a high street next to our college where they could just pop into a shop whenever and buy a whole pack of biros for a pound, but I guess some people don't have much initiative :rolleyes:

At least in secondary school they kept our exercise books there so people couldn't **** everyone around with excuses.
Some of the people in college are such a wonder...why don't they do this or at least keep an emergency pen in their schoolbag? Its what I used to (and still) do. Ofc everyone notices that I always have pens and always end up using mine :rant:

What also used to grate on me were the idiot AS's in one of my classes, the homework always took about 5-10 minutes, that's it and sooooo many people just didn't bother to do it and then proceeded to beg the teacher "no, don't say that I've not done it/skipped a lesson, I'll lose my ema!!!!" and then they would brag about all the stuff they'd get up to at the weekend with this money :| it's like, at least do what you're being paid to do, you could have done that homework in the lunch break or something rather than holding up everything.
Reply 47
Why start this thread, when you know all your going to get is ****?
I am not on about whether they are poor, rich, snobby or old but moreso to do with their attitude, work ethic and general 'can't be arsed' with this course BUT OMFG UNI IS HERE!" mentality.

I'll give you my example.

My class got merged with 2 separate classes, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, the first class has a total of 15ish lads aged 18/19 and the second is between 17-21. My class is aged 22-34 but only 4 of us, mature students as you see but this is college and not university.

These two classes have destroyed our progress and in some cases my ability to nod off is becoming ever more common because I have to face the truth, these 2 classes are ****ing atrocious.

Its a class of 20, 1 tutor and they are always reminding me how I hated high school.

-Late by 10 mins to 1 hour (like seriously?),

-Have no paper, yes I am serious, they also whine about "no pen can I have one?"

-Talking loudly and nattering away constantly, throwing stuff as they do, not paying attention and being thick as **** on simple subjects.

-They get told to shut it but the tutor doesn't have a firm grip on the situation and tbh their previous one didn't either.

-They dont even write the stuff down which the tutor says they need too and then take up his time asking "what was that?" or "don't know what to do" I expect that from primary school but these people take the piss.

-Messing with phones constantly and interested in what youtube has to feed them to get by.

That is just the first class

The second class is that AND more.

-We have 2 asian ****ers mouthing Islamic insurgent ****e randomly, we got 2 girls who squeal when the guys do stuff and to top it off this SIMPLE survey practical we did this afternoon was just pathetic.

Using the equipment as spears, ****ign around on phones and doing other andom crap, me and the others out of my original class did all the work.

One group failed to get data from one spot and their excuses were "I thought they did it", "we couldn't do it", "it wasn't set up right" etc, et ****ing cetera.

I have 12 lessons to go and then I am done and by the looks of it I will have the marks required for my course but what scares me is the fact a big chunk of these arsewipes want to go to university and I know they will get to their uni, although they wouldn't touch a decent course because they wont be accepted.

This is whats wrong with uni, not the fact that it can be done on loans but the sheer fact that most of these useless twatts can accumulate a certain number of points, direct themselves towards a course no matter how crap it may be and just float around like a useless turd.

I saw 1 kid in the first class who could maybe buckle up and get going on a uni course but he has said they are way behind and he doesn't know what to do about it. The thing is he comes in late quite a fair bit so he has no chance.

My course is level 3, most if not all university courses are level 4 or higher from year 1. How these people are not removed from the course quickly to give someone else a chance is beyond me and yes, they will be removed from the course or drop out because thats who they are, a waste of space in the institution.

I know I shouldn't get worked up over this but the big factor most of these types of students will be pushing for a university spot is the hike in fees but those who can do the work and want to may find themselves pushed out.

"OMFG! gotta get to uni man!, gotta get there!" I heard one of these clowns say exactly that. I did a /palmface

How many people here knows people like this going to uni this september?

Everyone I knew at college was like that. At uni, no one is. Those at college where with the same friends they'd had from nursery so never had the chance to grow up. People change when they have to fend for themselves and are in a new environment with no one they know.
Reply 49
Original post by Jimi_B
Why start this thread, when you know all your going to get is ****?

I didn't get ****.

Anyone who tried I put down with ease, not that i care for their opinions or negs.
Wait... so you're complaining about people who shouldn't go to uni when these people are still at college doing BTECs? Chances are these people won't get in or get chucked out soon anyway if they're as stupid as you claim so what's the problem.

Just leave them to it and focus on your own work.
Reply 51
I feel your pain OP. I've had a similar problem and it still amazes me how stupid and ignorant people can be. If there was only a virus that could wipe out that kind of people.. I doubt many of them will go to even semi-decent universities and even if they somehow manage it, they'll be doing some kind of media study course.
Reply 52
I didn't get ****.

Anyone who tried I put down with ease, not that i care for their opinions or negs.

Do you think you're kick-ass or something?
Reply 53
lolBtec
Reply 54
I guess the line "this is college, not University" makes you a very confused person. Stick to something you're good at which is clicking the next thread button.

No **** sherlock, want to try and insult my choice, my only choice at learning about a subject outside of hands-on work which i have had and still involve myself in?

Do you know what a building surveyor is? A quantity surveyor? What the difference between an Architect and a designer is? Just a tiny, tiny piece of info you can learn doing this course, it builds a picture and gives you an overview of each field in construction. My chosen degree is Building Surveying, please, please try and insult me. I dare ya.

A-levels are only different by having exams and more regulation, thats it. I did them when they were harder and I didn't get spoon fed subjects like most kids do these days. Chin up there boy, you might find a way to insult me but I would just laugh in your face.

I know, I did college twice but the fact remains, these types of people are a waste of time, effort and money. Those important resources are best spent elsewhere.

Aha, you're just angry you failed. Get a grip you nugget.
Reply 55
You're aiming for a degree in 'Building Surveying' and you say that your classmates are going to do **** courses? That epitomises the **** uni course. Courses like that are the reason standards have slipped so low and every spare building is suddenly becoming a university.
You go to college, of course there's gonna be dossers
I am not on about whether they are poor, rich, snobby or old but moreso to do with their attitude, work ethic and general 'can't be arsed' with this course BUT OMFG UNI IS HERE!" mentality.

Sorry just to clarify, you are currently at a Sixth Form/Further Education college? I was just a little confused when you said your course was "Level 3", rather than stating it's A-levels/BTEC/IB/whatever.

It's pathetic, I agree. University can be a really fun and enjoyable time for people, but some people seem to get so caught up in the social side of university that they forget what they're actually supposed to be doing. Studying and obtaining your degree are viewed as some kind of unpleasant side-task by many people. Unfortunately as a result, these scatter-brained idiots you have to deal with will also appear at university.
(edited 13 years ago)

What uni?
As cynical as this may sound, and a cynic I am; I wish everyone applying for physics for 2012, in my year, was that stupid aswell. Less competition for places = higher chance for me getting into good uni! Hurrah. Survival of the fittest and shiz..

I need to go out more.... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending