The Student Room Group

Studying Classics at uni without an background in it

How would this work? How difficult would I find it and what should I be doing now? I've sat in on a few A2 classes so far, got a vague feel for the syllabus/ subject but would like to know more. If I take a gap year I will do the AS at my school and look into the Open University too. I do A2 Eng Lit, Psych and Econs, by the way.

I would be looking into doing Classics as part of a Joint Honours, or as a minor subject at a Scottish university. And I'm not too keen on learning Latin or Greek, so that narrows it down a bit.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Sorry for being absolutely no help, but what happened about psych? (ps. know the feeling about wanting to change courses though...)
Reply 2
What's the point of doing Classics if you're not keen on learning Greek or Latin? It's like doing French without learning the language, you're going to miss out on so many things if you don't bother learning the language, translations can never convey the very same meaning of an author's work…
Seriously... 'an background'?
Reply 4
I'm in the EXACT SAME SITUATION! I've applied for a joint honours, even though I know nothing about the course in itself.

I've recently bought Classics: A Very Short Introduction and although I haven't read it all, it's exactly what the title states - a short introduction, giving you a broad idea on what 'classics' is about. Also touch up on Ancient History.

What Scottish Uni do you intend to go to? All I know is St Andrews says that most of their students have done something classical, but previous experience of Greek or Latin is not necessary. You don't have to have an A-level in the subject either - but if you want to take a year out, to learn more about it, that's your choice.
Original post by Anatheme
What's the point of doing Classics if you're not keen on learning Greek or Latin? It's like doing French without learning the language, you're going to miss out on so many things if you don't bother learning the language, translations can never convey the very same meaning of an author's work…

True, but I'll never be a classical scholar. Just the A Level interests me, I assumed degree-wise it would be even better... and it's a funny little subject, is all :smile: Having stupidly not done the A Level, I'm not sure I could cope with the rigours of/ want to spend my time studying Latin and Greek when I could be spending my time filling in the gaps in my knowledge of the subject or, moreover, reading English literature which is the main thing I want to be doing. I know it's not ideal; in fact, I'm Chinese and can speak/listen but not write/read so I understand the 'lost-in-translation' thing entirely, but therein lies the problem: time. It's just easier. Surely there are reputable places that offer Classical studies in translation?

Original post by Noodlzzz
Sorry for being absolutely no help, but what happened about psych? (ps. know the feeling about wanting to change courses though...)

I wasn't at all surprised to see you here. :biggrin: Are you stalking all ex-EP applicants? Haha. I'll PM you, unless you have MSN? Recently I've been having many 'arghhh' moments where bsing/ clicking on random links has led to me losing the whole message!

Original post by Its A Catch 22
Seriously... 'an background'?

Oh this is typical TSR *rolls eyes* I'm clearly not illiterate, just tired...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mehhhw/e
I'm in the EXACT SAME SITUATION! I've applied for a joint honours, even though I know nothing about the course in itself.

er! bit worrying this :biggrin: and we're not quite in the same situation, I'm not at your stage yet! what made you do it?

I've recently bought Classics: A Very Short Introduction and although I haven't read it all, it's exactly what the title states - a short introduction, giving you a broad idea on what 'classics' is about. Also touch up on Ancient History.

What Scottish Uni do you intend to go to? All I know is St Andrews says that most of their students have done something classical, but previous experience of Greek or Latin is not necessary. You don't have to have an A-level in the subject either - but if you want to take a year out, to learn more about it, that's your choice.

I don't 'intend' on anywhere, only hoping on StAs. I might just do that (take a year out). What is your other joint hons subject and where did you apply?

Thanks for actually answering my question btw :smile: (no disrespect to anyone else meant)
Reply 7
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
er! bit worrying this :biggrin: and we're not quite in the same situation, I'm not at your stage yet! what made you do it?

Perhaps it was a bit of an exaggeration

I don't 'intend' on anywhere, only hoping on StAs. I might just do that (take a year out). What is your other joint hons subject and where did you apply?

Taking a year out to do Classics, among other things related to the subject?

I've applied for Classics and/or English Lit and Philosophy at Kent, RH, Leeds, Aberdeen and St. A.

Thanks for actually answering my question btw :smile: (no disrespect to anyone else meant)

No problem! Good luck!
True, but I'll never be a classical scholar. Just the A Level interests me, I assumed degree-wise it would be even better... and it's a funny little subject, is all :smile: Having stupidly not done the A Level, I'm not sure I could cope with the rigours of/ want to spend my time studying Latin and Greek when I could be spending my time filling in the gaps in my knowledge of the subject or, moreover, reading English literature which is the main thing I want to be doing. I know it's not ideal; in fact, I'm Chinese and can speak/listen but not write/read so I understand the 'lost-in-translation' thing entirely, but therein lies the problem: time. It's just easier. Surely there are reputable places that offer Classical studies in translation?

I wasn't at all surprised to see you here. :biggrin: Are you stalking all ex-EP applicants? Haha. I'll PM you, unless you have MSN? Recently I've been having many 'arghhh' moments where bsing/ clicking on random links has led to me losing the whole message!

Oh this is typical TSR *rolls eyes* I'm clearly not illiterate, just tired...

I'm doing Classical Studies at Manchester come September. The course allows you to do language modules if you want (both beginner and advanced) but also allows you to explore any area of classics that you're interested in. I've done IB HL Latin which is what drew me to the course, but I don't plan on doing any language modules when I'm there.
There are loads of people in my uni that are doing Classics without having any background, it's totally possible just requires some dedication :wink:

Original post by theultimateplu
I'm doing Classical Studies at Manchester come September. The course allows you to do language modules if you want (both beginner and advanced) but also allows you to explore any area of classics that you're interested in. I've done IB HL Latin which is what drew me to the course, but I don't plan on doing any language modules when I'm there.

If you change your mind* and try Greek work for it - they don't call it fast track for nothing. :sad:

*There's a compulsory language day where they try to convince to take languages... They're very persuasive.

Quick Reply

Latest