Yes
    68.68%
    No
    30.84%
    Unsure
    0.48%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    The armed rebels are flying the flag of the old monarchy and carrying pictures of the old King Idris so you can cut the democracy crap.

And if you are such a big fan of democracy then you would just have to accept that the majority of Libyans are content with Gadaffi's leadership and as democracy says, the majority is always right.
    And I suppose that's why the entire country bar Tripoli and Sirte was taken over by a minority of rebels at one point? :rolleyes:

Foo'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    So it's better to let all innocents die then help one country out?
    You are morally deplorable.
    Quote the exact words where I said that. Oh wait you wont be able to because you just made it up :rolleyes:

I said the hypocrisy stinks. The UN and Nato only ever act when it suits them and they stand to gain something, in this case the supression of a civil war on Europe's borders and the removal of a man that has run circles around the West for the past 40 years. It has nothing what so ever to do with human rights and protecting civilians. So don't even try to insinuate that they care. If the West cared even one iota about protecting civilian protesters from oppressive regimes they're ban all arms sales to Yemen and Bahrain with immediate effect. And yet they're not even willing to take this most basic of steps. They're more than happy to allow Yemeni army snipers to gun down unarmed protesters. They're more than happy to allow Bahrain' security forces to clear the streets with indiscriminate live fire. And they're more than happy to continue supplying arms shipments to them.

Wake up kid, and smell the coffee.

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the air strikes and no fly zone.....not sure about land troops.....Taliban statement just came out..........this puts the shiver down my spine.............seriously guys.......i hope and pray libya doesn't go the Iraq way........I hope there is a ceasefire or something and the matter isn't allowed to get out of hand..................the last thing we need is one more country racked by fundamentalism......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    I know what military hardware is being used, and I think you'll be pretty ignorant to think that innocent people won't die as a result of the recent UN intervention. I've not said whether I agree or disagree with the intervention itself, although I am sceptical about the actual reasoning of getting involved.
    Collateral damage MAY occur, but less lives will be harmed with UN intervention than without it making your point redundant.

ReputationRep:
    i disagree with it. this can turn into another Afghan/Iraq so easily. Americans and their allies can kill more people than Qadhaffi did in his life time....in just one yr.

They're only doing it to get something out of it at the end.
    I think anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Quote the exact words where I said that. Oh wait you wont be able to because you just made it up :rolleyes:

I said the hypocrisy stinks. The UN and Nato only ever act when it suits them and they stand to gain something, in this case the supression of a civil war on Europe's borders and the removal of a man that has run circles around the West for the past 40 years. It has nothing what so ever to do with human rights and protecting civilians. So don't even try to insinuate that they care. If the West cared even one iota about protecting civilian protesters from oppressive regimes they're ban all arms sales to Yemen and Bahrain with immediate effect. And yet they're not even willing to take this most basic of steps. They're more than happy to allow Yemeni army snipers to gun down unarmed protesters. They're more than happy to allow Bahrain' security forces to clear the streets with indiscriminate live fire. And they're more than happy to continue supplying arms shipments to them.

Wake up kid, and smell the coffee.
    Kid? Well you sound conceited.
    Who cares if it is hypocritical though? Your complaint is inane - the UN is helping civilians in Libya. That in itself is good. So what if they haven't been involved in any other dispute? And your idea that it's because it's on Europe's border is ridiculous as it was a UN ruling, not NATO or EU and your conspiracy theory is absurd at best.
    Also please tell me how Northern Africa is Europe's borders when you have a sea and the Middle East in the way. Your geography is hilariously poor.
    You have no evidence to show any misguided aim other than the nonsensical ramblings of a conspiracy theorist who will no doubt start yelling "NEW WORLD ORDER".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tut.exe)
    x
    That's why the World's all messed up though, innit.

Why are Libyan citizens more deserving of help than those in Yemen, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Bahrain... etc?

Because it's right on Europe's doorstep, and we aren't going to **** off any other countries by intervening. Understandable, but hardly any consolation to oppressed citizens from the likes of the above countries.

It's double standards, whichever way you look at it.

ReputationRep:
    My question is why Libya?
    Similar situations are happening in Bahrain and it looks like Saudi Arabia is going that way.
    Does that mean they are going to go into these countries too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golly-Gosh)
    i disagree with it. this can turn into another Afghan/Iraq so easily. Americans and their allies can kill more people than Qadhaffi did in his life time....in just one yr.
    What kind of idiotic comment is that? Of course they can, they are nuclear powers, but what the **** does that have to do with setting up a no fly zone? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    They're only doing it to get something out of it at the end.
    I think anyway.
    You're likely right. It's not Iraq, but I suspect the west will be using this to their advantage in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    The armed rebels are flying the flag of the old monarchy and carrying pictures of the old King Idris so you can cut the democracy crap.

And if you are such a big fan of democracy then you would just have to accept that the majority of Libyans are content with Gadaffi's leadership and as democracy says, the majority is always right.
    And the majority of North Koreans are happy with their dictator. Does that immediately mean that they shouldn't even be given the chance to change it? Having the freedom to choose the leader of your country comes hand in hand with being happy with your leader. It's all well and good being happy with your leader, but having the chance to vote to change the leader is more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    Similar situations are happening in Bahrain and it looks like Saudi Arabia is going that way.
    your are bang on target......there are double standards here....wonder what the US and EU will do if and when king Abdullah starts to go beserk when his divine right is challenged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    I think I know where you're going with this.....:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I despair that this poll is 60% in favour of military action! Will you idiots never ever learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisred)
    your are bang on target......there are double standards here....wonder what the US and EU will do if and when king Abdullah starts to go beserk when his divine right is challenged
    Start calling Saudi rebels 'terrorists'? Watch this space I guess...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisred)
    And it's funny how they're all calling him a 'dictator'.
    He didn't become one overnight!
    Such hypocrisy it's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    And the majority of North Koreans are happy with their dictator. Does that immediately mean that they shouldn't even be given the chance to change it? Having the freedom to choose the leader of your country comes hand in hand with being happy with your leader. It's all well and good being happy with your leader, but having the chance to vote to change the leader is more important.
    Changing your dictator every few years is hardly freedom.

(Original post by morris743)
    You're likely right. It's not Iraq, but I suspect the west will be using this to their advantage in some way.
    I'm not very knowledgeable on this sort of thing I'll admit, but I really highly doubt the government would put any time or money into this if they wern't getting something back. They say its to help the Libyan people, but really they'll only help if they get something out of it too.

Example: Isn't there a dictator in Zimbabwe? Look at the suffering there. Do you see the West doing anything about it? No. Why? Because I doubt they'll get anything out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Start calling Saudi rebels 'terrorists'? Watch this space I guess...:rolleyes:
    Its funny how the lines blur.......ha ha its like shutter island I guess........

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.