The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Beska
This is actually a really interesting poll! :smile:

When i first saw it i thought it was the standard 4 or 5 people answering the extreme answer for no apparent reason. Looking at responses though, maybe it is accurate.
my friend reapplied three times - finally got in this year! she's at Southampton. gave her plenty of time to get relevant experience & save up some cash, though!
Reply 22
Original post by nexttime
When i first saw it i thought it was the standard 4 or 5 people answering the extreme answer for no apparent reason. Looking at responses though, maybe it is accurate.

Should have maybe been made public/non-anon so we could see, but ah well.
I think that for a lot people, especially if you're so geared towards it, beginning to apply for medicine is where being a doctor starts. It's really difficult to change your mind from, especially as we work so hard toward it. I think that's why people reapply constantly.

After all, it only takes one offer.
I applied twice :biggrin: In the app cycle as some very cool people :biggrin:

Beska, haleem, DMZ, Penguin, Futuredoc and all the rest onthe re-app 2011 thread :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by haleem
Thanks!
Not much tbh
Thing is I never got to the interview stage in the previous years, however that changed this year and the difference maker was the UKCAT! Although my ps defo improved, but I don't think this played much of a role in my application tbh

Mmm interesting. In both years my UKCAT have not been great. I also think its my PS. At the time of applying I think yes this is a good PS but with not getting any interviews, it must be that.

Thanks.
Reply 26
Original post by Aiboz
Mmm interesting. In both years my UKCAT have not been great. I also think its my PS. At the time of applying I think yes this is a good PS but with not getting any interviews, it must be that.

Thanks.

Thing is for me, my gcses weren't great so that was a few unis ruled out. My UKCAT ruled out many other unis so the only option I really had was to apply to ps heavy ones - which obviously didn't work :/

Are you a re-app?
Reply 27
Original post by Harbour Seal
I think that for a lot people, especially if you're so geared towards it, beginning to apply for medicine is where being a doctor starts. It's really difficult to change your mind from, especially as we work so hard toward it. I think that's why people reapply constantly.

After all, it only takes one offer.

Yep, great post. Getting in is really a lot of the battle. Once you're in medical school, being a doctor is more or less guaranteed (unless you REALLY **** up or find out you faint at the sight of blood)
If I get Oxbridge standard grades, and all other aspects of my application are average, what are my chances of getting in first time?
Reply 29
2nd cycle, had an offer last year but missed by 5UMS. Have one offer so far this year (pending Keele... -.-)
Was pretty surprised that I got two interviews last year, my profile is very average, probably even under average, so I must have done something pretty amazing with my PS/interviewed well I think!
Reply 30
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
If I get Oxbridge standard grades, and all other aspects of my application are average, what are my chances of getting in first time?

There wouldn't be THAT much of a chance difference per se... only slight differences. You need luck on your side more than anything else, which is why people still get in with bog standard grades or no work experience to their name.
Reply 31
Original post by Cheesecakefactory

Well first time round I had Oxbridge standard grades and without trying to sound big headed the other aspects of my application were above average but I still got 4 rejections...I think when it comes to medical applications they get really pedantic so they can decide to reject you on the smallest things. Ultimately there is always going to be a certain degree of luck when it comes to medical applications as there are so many different factors involved and its so oversubscribed.
Reply 32
I'm a reapplicant!

Reapplying wise, I think 3 times is the most I heard of someone trying to get in to med school. I think being rejected (essentially) 12 times means you are really not suited for medicine.

I applied for the 4th time this year, and have 2 offers, which I am so grateful for!!
Reply 33
if you are a re-applicant, will the universities you apply to know that you are or just tink youre on a gap year?
Reply 34
Original post by SylveeDiggs
if you are a re-applicant, will the universities you apply to know that you are or just tink youre on a gap year?

They'd probably realise because if you were on a gap year you'd probably apply and defer...
Original post by katiej149
I applied for the 4th time this year, and have 2 offers, which I am so grateful for!!

:biggrin: I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound the way it sounded. :biggrin: Very pleased you got two offers though!
Reply 36
:biggrin: I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound the way it sounded. :biggrin: Very pleased you got two offers though!

Oh no, don't worry!! I think it really depends on each person how many times they want to re-apply. And thanks!:smile:
Hi guys,

Hope I get a reply here.

I am a biomed graduate with 2.1 and currently about to finish my MSc in Cancer research (hopefully a merit will be achieved). I sat the gamsat twice before and failed. Sat the ukcat last week and failed. My a-levels are poor. However there are universities that wont look at them. Should i give ukcat another go next summer? (i cannot apply for gamsat because of my poor a levels as universities have now started considering them in the application process). Please advice!

thank you
Original post by Aanchal14
Hi guys,

Hope I get a reply here.

I am a biomed graduate with 2.1 and currently about to finish my MSc in Cancer research (hopefully a merit will be achieved). I sat the gamsat twice before and failed. Sat the ukcat last week and failed. My a-levels are poor. However there are universities that wont look at them. Should i give ukcat another go next summer? (i cannot apply for gamsat because of my poor a levels as universities have now started considering them in the application process). Please advice!

thank you

You're better of creating a new thread as you can get a better response to your specific question
Reply 39
Original post by hardees
Please answer the question above. Also, any re-applicants for next year?

I'm a reapplicant :biggrin:
Based on the figure that only around 35% of people get an offer for medicine each cycle I would assume that the majority of people have to apply twice.
Though obviously some of the 65% who were rejected won't get the grades, and some will do an alternative course. And of the 35% some of them also wont meet their offers.
Apparently at Newcastle last year the first year was majority reapplicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending