The Student Room Group

I have no sympathy for people with eating disorders

I was reading this thread and surprise surprise there were plenty of apparently slim girls whining about how fat they are and taking the contradictory stance of knowing they shouldn't be worried about their weight but they still are. Defies all logic. Then they tell other girls they "look fantastic and have an amazing body and any guy would die to go out with you" whilst drowning in self pity about their own body. The UK is incredibly hypocritical in this regard, the same women who are constantly fussing over their weight, diet and body are the same women who tell others "beauty is in the inside". Eating disorders are the product of a superficial, vain lifestyle which is why middle class girls are the ones starving themselves so they can look like their heroes whereas in China and Japan the women are concentrating on important stuff like making the world a more prosperous, scientifically advanced place rather than spending hours flicking through glossy magazines.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a :yy: to girls who don't make a big fuss about their appearance and constantly attention seek unlike the eating disorder society who seem to be full of narcissistic self indulgent queens who are willing to endanger their health to look sexually attractive.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly that's quite brutal
Reply 2
People with eating disorders are mentally ill, not trying to look sexually attractive. They're not doing it because they want to seek attention, they're doing it because they're mentally ill. You cannot blame people for having an illness.
Ooof Meow!
I have no sympathy for you being a ****.
Nobody want or needs your sympathy
Original post by Brutal Honesty
I was reading this thread and surprise surprise there were plenty of apparently slim girls whining about how fat they are and taking the contradictory stance of knowing they shouldn't be worried about their weight but they still are. Defies all logic. Then they tell other girls they "look fantastic and have an amazing body and any guy would die to go out with you" whilst drowning in self pity about their own body. The UK is incredibly hypocritical in this regard, the same women who are constantly fussing over their weight, diet and body are the same women who tell others "beauty is in the inside". Eating disorders are the product of a superficial, vain lifestyle which is why middle class girls are the ones starving themselves so they can look like their heroes whereas in China and Japan the women are concentrating on important stuff like making the world a more prosperous, scientifically advanced place rather than spending hours flicking through glossy magazines.

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a :yy: to girls who don't make a big fuss about their appearance and constantly attention seek unlike the eating disorder society who seem to be full of narcissistic self indulgent queens who are willing to endanger their health to look sexually attractive.

It's not as easy as you make it out to be.

I'd give up anything to be beautiful.
Original post by Brutal Honesty

those women don't have eating disorders, they're either insecure or attention seeking. people with REAL eating disorders certainly deserve sympathy and support because it is a mental illness, which can lead to death, even if it doesn't it can ruin years of their life and also the life of others around them (parents, partners etc.)

what you're saying is like you have no sympathy for people with depression because there are people in africa with much bigger problems...
(edited 13 years ago)
Genuine eating disorders are a form of mental illness.

And the thing with attention seeking - even that's not what this is - I always try to think that there's a reason behind it; no-one seeks attention with no reason for doing so.
Ok, feel that way about people who you deem to be "narcissistic" or whatever... but just don't say that everyone who's like that has got an eating disorder... and don't be so harsh to people who have eating disorders. That is a mental illness, they're not just "self pitying"
Reply 10
If you read the research and academic studies of eating disorders, you'd realize that it is actually an illness and something that one has no fault and little choice in. Honesty, people don't want to feel like **** every time they look in the mirror, and spend all day on the loo pucking up and taking laxatives to lose weight.
Original post by a_t
even a place at cambridge?

:rofl:
Reply 12
Original post by im so academic

Even Oxbridge hopes? Even your health? :s-smilie:
There is a difference between whiney, attention-seeking bitches and those who genuinely have mental illnesses.
Indeed - I don't agree with people who moan about their appearance on a regular basis for no reason but to gain satisfaction from people convincing them they are not, but when there is someone who actually truly cannot help their own feelings for themselves and their own appearance and self esteem I have every sympathy for them. They don't CHOOSE it...
(edited 13 years ago)
Aight well good to know you don't know what you're on about, keep up the good work
Original post by kerily

Original post by kerily
People with eating disorders are mentally ill, not trying to look sexually attractive. They're not doing it because they want to seek attention, they're doing it because they're mentally ill. You cannot blame people for having an illness.

They're mentally weak, big difference. If it were a mental illness why does it appear more often in superficial societies, such as the UK or US or in young, middle class women? Women in China aren't starving themselves to look like a coat hanger model. It's a form of attention seeking and vanity gone to extremes.
Reply 17
When you have suffered months of hating the way you are, feeling as if you're about to collapse because you haven't eaten, and spent hours on end asking yourself "Why me?!", then maybe you can give your opinions on eating disorders. As someone has already said, they're mental illnesses, not "little teenage worries" that have come from reading glossy magazines. Ignorant people like you really annoy me.
Eating Disorder is a mental illness; which is not something you choose to have. You've clearly never met someone with an eating disorder before...

Ignorance is bliss.
Original post by im so academic

What!

Don't say that! You're great without having to be pretty :smile: I wouldn't have thought you'd have said this.
Once you get past the awkward teenager stage. You've got personality, ambition, interests...

And about the eating disorder thing- well, I've had one (very mild) and I sort of agree. The mentally ill don't deserve sympathy. Doesn't make them bad people. It's just, why do they deserve it? They deserve understanding, but not a whole lot other than that. Lots of you being all outraged or lofty, saying "you don't know what it's like, it's insupportable and you can't get out of it"- well, sorry, you don't know what it's like either. That's a petty comment, but I mean that there's all this hype behind eating disorders, people overthink them, some don't know what they're talking about and some cases are mild...like mine.
I have Aspergers- if I'm mortally rude to you through no fault of my own, are you a cold, unfeeling person for having no sympathy for me? No and no thank you, anyway! Because I can't do some things, do I need people to make special allowances for me? Well, yeah. But it's a fine line between mentally ill and not willing and what sympathy is really is ambigious in itself...I don't think the OP is entirely unreasonable. I haven't read their whole post.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending