The Student Room Group

wide of the mark?

I'm 22 and would like to attend a degree in business with japanese. The requirements are to have three B's at a level or the equivalent of 200 points, though none of a specific subject. I'm 22 and would like to apply as a mature student. The only qualifications Ihave at the moment are 9 gcse's (5c's and 4b's) one of which is business studies, and a BTEC intermediate. I dropped out of college about 2 terms in due to reasons beyond my control (i was doing a national diploma and doing quite well). As far as life experience, I spent 4 years in the army, though this was in the infantry as a sniper so not with any specific transferrable qualification as such and am now working for an online betting company. I'm not opposed to doing an access course but as I'm supporting myself I'm worried of the financial impact of the extra year. Also at access level it won't help me with Japanese any(I'm trying to learn by myself), so it would have to concentrate on the business side. Am I wide of the mark in trying to apply for the course straight away? Or should I contact them directly with the notion of applying via an access course? I'm trying to gain ideas on here prior to asking/travelling to try and conserve/save money. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Reply 1
You could try asking the unis you want to go to directly - some might take you if they feel you can cope, others will say a definite 'no' unless you go on an access course. Most access courses are not subject specific anyway, they cover general areas such as humanities, sciences, social sciences etc - what you learn most is 'how' to study, write essays, cope with the workload etc. My friend is currently doing one where he goes to college for a few hour three nights a week - maybe this is an option for you? Also, even if you can't take Japanese as part of the course, maybe the college will offer introductory or even GCSE level, which would be really helpful.

It's also cheaper to use a year to discover if uni is what you really want than waste two or three finding out that it isn't ... realistically, you will most likely be in debt at the end of three years, and one more isn't going to make a huge difference.

It's difficult - at the end of the day you should do what you feel is best for you. If you want to go straight to uni and think you can cope then do it! It will be a massive learning curve but it will be worthwile. On the other hand, the people I know who have done access courses and then come to uni have nothing but praise for them, they have all found them really helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending