The Student Room Group

Year 13 urgent help!! should i appeal my EPQ??

Okay guys I got 39/50 in my EPQ (AQA) and I'm wondering whether to go through internal appeals.
I know everyone does, but I really did put a lot of work into my EPQ and feel as if I have shown evidence of all the A0s, however it all feels so subjective, like really what is the difference between 'some research' and 'detailed research' for example????? and how do I tell which bracket I fall into as there is no exemplar papers on the AQA website to differentiate between the two.
When my supervisor marked it originally she gave me 41, but through internal moderation it dropped to 39 :frown:
what valid reasons can I even give for the appeal??? if anyone else has appealed theirs in the past please help
I would just feel so much more secure with at least 40 as I really need that A
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
tbf EPQ moderators are absolute pedants. I'm sure you could get probably get a decent chance at an appeal judging by how ambiguous the mark schemes are, though I would say that detailed research and 'some research' would be predicated on whether you have done a source evaluation table and thoroughly analysed the credibility of sources as well as selecting a wide range of credible ones and synthesising relevant information. I'm sorry I have posted this so late as you have probably gone past this whole stage but I only just saw this as I've literally just handed mine in now.
Reply 3
Original post by KingsleyArtha1
tbf EPQ moderators are absolute pedants. I'm sure you could get probably get a decent chance at an appeal judging by how ambiguous the mark schemes are, though I would say that detailed research and 'some research' would be predicated on whether you have done a source evaluation table and thoroughly analysed the credibility of sources as well as selecting a wide range of credible ones and synthesising relevant information. I'm sorry I have posted this so late as you have probably gone past this whole stage but I only just saw this as I've literally just handed mine in now.
Thank you for your reply! I did end up appealing it and got it moved up to 40/50 which has ended up being an A so i’m very glad i bothered to!! Good luck with yours x
Omg I am in this exact position, my mark dropped from 41 to 39 in internal moderation 😭
I really want to appeal, what reasons did you give for an appeal???
Reply 5
Original post by senseless-powerb
Omg I am in this exact position, my mark dropped from 41 to 39 in internal moderation 😭
I really want to appeal, what reasons did you give for an appeal???

I’m assuming you have started the appeals process and know what area you were marked down in? For me this was A03 so I went through the mark scheme/rubric gave examples of where I believe I had shown evidence of what was required. I ended up writing quite a lot for my appeal as I wanted to be thorough, this is one paragraph just as an example:
“Resources in my appendix further show development, using examples from my project log (Appendix: C) to show how I managed my development and how changes have been made to overcome challenges, such as deadlines, organisation, or gaps in knowledge that required more extensive research. This demonstrates that I have 'taken appropriate decisions' and ‘appropriate changes’ to my aims and objectives. Development was also shown in dedicated slides of my PowerPoint presentation.”
I hope this was helpful, please let me know if I can help any more!! Overall, i’m so glad i appealed, otherwise i would have been 1 mark off an A 😅 good luck!! x
Original post by ughh123
I’m assuming you have started the appeals process and know what area you were marked down in? For me this was A03 so I went through the mark scheme/rubric gave examples of where I believe I had shown evidence of what was required. I ended up writing quite a lot for my appeal as I wanted to be thorough, this is one paragraph just as an example:
“Resources in my appendix further show development, using examples from my project log (Appendix: C) to show how I managed my development and how changes have been made to overcome challenges, such as deadlines, organisation, or gaps in knowledge that required more extensive research. This demonstrates that I have 'taken appropriate decisions' and ‘appropriate changes’ to my aims and objectives. Development was also shown in dedicated slides of my PowerPoint presentation.”
I hope this was helpful, please let me know if I can help any more!! Overall, i’m so glad i appealed, otherwise i would have been 1 mark off an A 😅 good luck!! x

Hey thanks so much for the reply!! I just found out my mark on monday so i havent yet started the appeal process yet. The school is trying to force me out of it (and havent showed me the script yet because it goes against 'policy') we will have to see how it goes. 🙃

Quick Reply

Latest