The Student Room Group

Top(30) universities to study law?

Okay, after much scanning of tsr I have decided to compile what is the best list in terms on rankings between the UK law schools (please note I have not included scots law or those universities, this also includes pull at the bar) please feel free to question my logic but do not suggest any poor universities that you believe are good purely because you are there :l. Also note that this list is purely for law, I am not interested in general rep outside of law. Bare in mind this is still subjective and I have been as impartial as I can be

1 Cambridge
2 Oxford
3 LSE

4 UCL
5 Durham
6 Bristol
7 KCL

8 Warwick=Nottingham
9 SOAS=QMUL
10 Manchester
11 Birmingham=Newcastle
12 Exeter
13 Leeds
14 York
15 Sheffeild
16 Southampton
17 Leicester
18 Lancaster
19 Liverpool
20 Queens University Belfast
21 Cardiff
22 Birckbeck (have a full time undergrad UoL degree)
23 Reading
24 UEA
25 City university
26 Hull (weirdly does have a lot more succesfull graduates than one would expect)

*:rolleyes: the best online ranking around as usual brought to you by lionboy :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How are you going to rank York when, iirc, it has no graduates?

Also, how did you rate them in an actual rank, rather than using the usual tiers/bands?

Warwick could possibly be in the 2nd band, LSE may be interchangeable, SOAS =/= QMUL, Manchester should be down a bit, Birmingham maybe up 1 or 2 more spots.

My rationale? None, I'm just going by general consensus when I applied.

*Kanye shrugs*

Edit: lol, include Nottingham alongside wherever Warwick is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
york has had a surprisingly lrge interest from MC 's as the school went away for many years and devised a program that allows the best teaching and learning methods for law...it is arguably the most practical law degree for any soon to be solicitor
Reply 3
No Nottingham...? :rolleyes:

Anyway subjective list = subjective and we can all read league tables. It doesn't matter anyway as no university is the best if it's completely the wrong environment for you to learn in.
Nottingham is arguably better than a large proportion of those Universities for Law.
Reply 5
yep gotcha knew i forgot one
Reply 6
manchester should not be down a bit...its a greatly over looked university by students, however employers rank it exceedingly highly, Birmingham has a poor track record or people graduating with 1sts interestingly and the uni is very flexible with the LNATs it take, it is often overrated
Reply 7
Newcastle...Sussex...Kent...I'd rather be at any of those than a couple of places on your list. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by lionboy
york has had a surprisingly lrge interest from MC 's as the school went away for many years and devised a program that allows the best teaching and learning methods for law...it is arguably the most practical law degree for any soon to be solicitor

tis true.
Original post by lionboy

1 South Midlands Poly
2 Cambridge

You trippin'?
Reply 10
thanks for the newcastle btw there are soo many , sussex and kent are no no's for me, kent used to strongish but doesnt pull the weight it used. Sussex you would be surprised to know lets in students with far lower thn the asking requirements, not to say this makes it bad, however it is definately not in the league of unis that ask AAB but often get AAA students, I put Hull in as a wildcard, it seems to account for a large % of solicitors and even a fair no' or barristers so is stronger thn one would expect for a career in law

*I say a fair num of barristers in the Hull region tho lol i have to be carefull saying they have a presence stronger than the top 20 uni as they dont :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by street.lovin'
I personally will put LSE above UCL.

And will put Nottingham as 4th place or along side LSE.

http://www.legaleducation.org.uk/where-to-study-law.html

to address this, im not sure your thinking broadly enough i have taken into account teaching, resources available to students, places to live(marginally) for example being in London arguably has a marginal advantage over nottingham. bare in mind UCL's world rankings in an international law level, personally i believe UCL wins over LSE again
Original post by lionboy
to address this, im not sure your thinking broadly enough i have taken into account teaching, resources available to students, places to live(marginally) for example being in London arguably has a marginal advantage over nottingham. bare in mind UCL's world rankings in an international law level, personally i believe UCL wins over LSE again

hmmmmm, i believe what employers said... thats why i put in the link.. :P
Nice to see you included UEA haha
Reply 14
Original post by Muffled Snuffles
Sorry, but any 'UK' law schools ranking list is meaningless if you don't include any Scottish univerisities. Looking over several rankings (if you care for such things), at least 3 Scottish universities/law schools easily always make it into the top 10 or 20.

And if you're going to suggest that you're sticking to English law, then I suggest you do some more research on Scottish universities and what they offer.

I knew someone would pick out scottish universities, i know edin, glas and aber all rate highly but there is great difficulty in defining the succes of scottish graduates of law who will likely walk into jobs in scotland than english law taught at universities in scotland who then decide to practice in the uk and have to compete with uk universities, it is too difficult to asses how well the scottish grads have done compared to those working or competing for jobs uk (and they def wont be the same !)-for law those three are completely dominant in scotland. So that is why i have not included them...sorry ??
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by High As A Kite
Nice to see you included UEA haha

yep, it used to be an lnat uni (whether or not tht makes it better is debatable) but its had a large surge of funding, its 4 year llbs are really strong and it is one those uni's that often take in students who get well beyond their AAB/A requirement...they seem to be a fairly modest university in this respect
Reply 16
Original post by street.lovin'
hmmmmm, i believe what employers said... thats why i put in the link.. :P

well unfortunately you have not read your own link properly, it is sourced from the times university guide that gives student satisfaction and other more 'watery' values of university life a heavier weighting than it should. To also point out this does not show what employers think either, it has a heavy weightin to what a student at 'that' university thinks.
Original post by lionboy

Still, I think it's a LITTLE premature to put it 12th! I would put LSE head and shoulders about UCL, it's much harder to get into I'd argue, and much more respected, and I'd perhaps say Durham ought to be higher - though it depends what you want. LSE & UCL & KCL probably have better teaching, but I know where I'd rather live!!
Reply 18
:redface:
Original post by Vinchenko
Still, I think it's a LITTLE premature to put it 12th! I would put LSE head and shoulders about UCL, it's much harder to get into I'd argue, and much more respected, and I'd perhaps say Durham ought to be higher - though it depends what you want. LSE & UCL & KCL probably have better teaching, but I know where I'd rather live!!

UCL in my mind is comparable to oxford in terms of degree difficulty, LSE is nearing dont get me wrong. Also take into account LSE's other 'estranged' law degree cousin...they do a BA law and anthropology that has qualifying status...requirements a year ago were ABB now they have gone up to AAB...it brings LSE down slightly in my mind as it is far less competitive than UCL's straight law...i hope you see where my logic on this came, i have to admit the very fine line drawn between them makes it so subjective :redface:

*true york is premature however the course managed to rack up a ridiculously high entry standard even though it was so new ...it seems to be pulling well away from other universities of a similar standard and it will definately hold if not go up in my mind when the gradutes start flooding out...yet this is conjecture :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lionboy
:redface:

UCL in my mind is comparable to oxford in terms of degree difficulty, LSE is nearing dont get me wrong. Also take into account LSE's other 'estranged' law degree cousin...they do a BA law and anthropology that has qualifying status...requirements a year ago were ABB now they have gone up to AAB...it brings LSE down slightly in my mind as it is far less competitive than UCL's straight law...i hope you see where my logic on this came, i have to admit the very fine line drawn between them makes it so subjective :redface:

*true york is premature however the course managed to rack up a ridiculously high entry standard even though it was so new ...it seems to be pulling well away from other universities of a similar standard and it will definately hold if not go up in my mind when the gradutes start flooding out...yet this is conjecture :smile:

Err...why? :erm:

Also, this thread is so ridiculously subjective. And there's a similar (better) thread than this that has been stickied in the Law forum. You can find it here

Oh yeah, and Oxford isn't better than Cam when it comes to Law. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending