The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Teaching at Brighton Uni?

Hey! I’m about to start at Brighton Uni this year and I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight regarding the quality of teaching at the university? ( I’m gonna be taking psychology and sociology). I’m an international student from Australia, and the teaching quality is really important to me. As I’ve deferred my start at the University of Melbourne ( which is in the top 30 in the world ranking wise). And Glasgow University has told me I may be considered for the same course if I applied through clearing, however I don’t want to take the risk. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Original post by dhuvas
Hey! I’m about to start at Brighton Uni this year and I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight regarding the quality of teaching at the university? ( I’m gonna be taking psychology and sociology). I’m an international student from Australia, and the teaching quality is really important to me. As I’ve deferred my start at the University of Melbourne ( which is in the top 30 in the world ranking wise). And Glasgow University has told me I may be considered for the same course if I applied through clearing, however I don’t want to take the risk. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated!!

The data available on The Uni Guide, here, suggests that it's not great. As it's a joint honours degree, a lot of the stats are split; so you see Psychology numbers and then Sociology numbers.

Only 64% (Psychology) and 55% (Sociology) of current third year students were satisfied with the quality of the course. That comes from the National Students Survey, which asks 27 questions in total. The four questions which focus on "Teaching and learning" are listed near the top of that page (use the drop-down list to switch between Psychology and Sociology).

It's also interesting to note that, six months after graduating, more graduates are employed as "Sales assistants and retail cashiers" than as anything else.

What appeal dies University of Brighton have over University of Melbourne?
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The data available on The Uni Guide, here, suggests that it's not great. As it's a joint honours degree, a lot of the stats are split; so you see Psychology numbers and then Sociology numbers.

Only 64% (Psychology) and 55% (Sociology) of current third year students were satisfied with the quality of the course. That comes from the National Students Survey, which asks 27 questions in total. The four questions which focus on "Teaching and learning" are listed near the top of that page (use the drop-down list to switch between Psychology and Sociology).

It's also interesting to note that, six months after graduating, more graduates are employed as "Sales assistants and retail cashiers" than as anything else.

What appeal dies University of Brighton have over University of Melbourne?

My inclination to study at Brighton comes from a general want to study overseas as I’m not particularly a fan of uni- life” in Melbourne, and I love Brighton as a city. However, the low satisfaction has me questioning whether or not I should apply to other universities through clearing or stick to UniMelb.
Thanks for your help tho!
Hi, I study Sciences at Brighton and I think if Brighton as a city appeals to you - then maybe consider the University of Sussex which is literally up the road from Brighton and has far stronger humanities subjects (as in they are best known for subjects like Psychology, Law, Criminology, History, Politics etc...) because Brighton is more known for STEM and Arts.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending