The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Well would it help to know that the abundance of nitrogen 15 is 0.364%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGangsterPuppy
But what do you do with that information?

Use binomial probability formula. The abundance of N15 as a decimal is k and n is the number of glycine molecules. Trial and error
Well I think I did something different as I don't know what binomial distribution is because if you were to think that the abundance of N15 Is 0.346% then that tells you every 100 nitrogen atoms there are 0.346 N15 so if you were to scale it up so that how many nitrogen atoms are there with 2 which is 15 not 14

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2523
Original post by ThisIsOurDecision
Any tips for the silver question?

Spoiler

can you link the question please,
I can't seem to get past the entry one!!!! I am an A-level chem student one aswell!
Original post by s7a0
can you link the question please,
I can't seem to get past the entry one!!!! I am an A-level chem student one aswell!

Don't know if you've done it or not yet but one thing you should know about c3l6 is that the background pictures are always relevant!

As for silver, think about when you would see those 3 colours in chemistry- don't over complicate it, it's really basic stuff!

(pun not even intended (if you get me) but pretty dang good if I do say so myself) Good luck! :wink:
Reply 2525
Original post by fizzers
Don't know if you've done it or not yet but one thing you should know about c3l6 is that the background pictures are always relevant!

As for silver, think about when you would see those 3 colours in chemistry- don't over complicate it, it's really basic stuff!

(pun not even intended (if you get me) but pretty dang good if I do say so myself) Good luck! :wink:

what did you write for the one, what molecule did they taste?
Original post by s7a0
what did you write for the one, what molecule did they taste?

Isn't that last month's entry?
Reply 2527
Original post by fizzers

yes but i didn't get it lol
Reply 2528
Original post by fizzers

what did you get for the valentine one?
Original post by s7a0
yes but i didn't get it lol

It's denatonium benzoate (aka bitrex)- so bitter :tongue:
Original post by _Caz_
omg first go at trying these and I suck so bad at working them out. On the second level. Is it points on a map? Oh dear I'm so bad at this -.- why does it say relative molecular mass?

that's ok! All it means is that at that place in the world (look up the coordinates) there is a chemical related to it, and you have to find out its molecular mass. does that help? :smile:
Can anyone at all give me hints for Rg??? I have no idea what a binomial expansion thing is, so I can't use that, but I really want to get past this challenge! Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by economicsrocks
Can anyone at all give me hints for Rg??? I have no idea what a binomial expansion thing is, so I can't use that, but I really want to get past this challenge! Thanks :biggrin:

A lot of people have been talking about this distribution thing (I have no idea how to do it. I got the answer without it.) the abundance of N15 is 0.345% (or around about there I would recommend getting the right %) so if you were to think that every 100 nitrogen atoms you would get 0.345 of them being N15 so if you were to scale that up to get 2 instead of 0.345 you can then work out how long the chain is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by john smilth
A lot of people have been talking about this distribution thing (I have no idea how to do it. I got the answer without it.) the abundance of N15 is 0.345% (or around about there I would recommend getting the right %) so if you were to think that every 100 nitrogen atoms you would get 0.345 of them being N15 so if you were to scale that up to get 2 instead of 0.345 you can then work out how long the chain is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help! I looked at the thread and it says the abundance is 0.346%. So what do you do with this number? I have literally tried everything, and I cannot get to the answer!
Would anyone be able to give me a range of number within which the answer to Rg lies, please?! I can't do it, I have tried everything, and I may have to resort to guessing. Thanks! :smile:
I know the number of N atoms necessary for that probability. But how do I calculate the the molar mass, as I haven't done peptides yet in chemistry
Original post by economicsrocks
Would anyone be able to give me a range of number within which the answer to Rg lies, please?! I can't do it, I have tried everything, and I may have to resort to guessing. Thanks! :smile:

Range of answer is...30000 - 40000
Original post by ComputeiT
Range of answer is...30000 - 40000

Thank you :smile:

Edit: I just completed this by guessing haha, but thanks to everyone who gave me clues along the way! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ok this was my method following my previous post so we now have the abundance of N15 0.364% so I decide that there are 0.364 in every 100 molecules of nitrogen. So we need to fine what power you need to times 0.364 to get 2 so if you did 2 divided by 0.364 it will get you the how much you need to times 0.364 to get to 2 so if you times you calculated number by 100 (which was how many molecular of nitrogen you had with 0.364 being N15) so that answer will give you the number of nitrogen atoms needed for 2 to be N15. Now if you know what glycine is it is the simplest amino acid possible with the R group just being H. So the molecular formula is C2O2NH5 per gtx one molecule. Now you need to learn how the glycine molecule bonds together in a chain because I think it needs to be a little challenge. But if you are really struggling just private message me as I will tel you how it bonds with out telling everybody else. I hope this helps!!!! Enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2539
hey can you pm the answer to rg ive been on it for days and still cant get it

Quick Reply

Latest