The Student Room Group

North dont care about Royal Wedding apparently....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I would have thought the North would have been more patriotic and celebratory about this... or is that just my outdated ignorance?

Tbf, while I hope they are very happy and all, I wouldn't have a street party over it. :s-smilie:
Reply 41
Original post by DJkG.1
I would have thought the North would have been more patriotic and celebratory about this... or is that just my outdated ignorance?

Its hardly an outdated notion that the north is a little dissident

Lets not forget where this monarchy came from
(edited 13 years ago)
Glasgow Uni don't care about the Royal Wedding, I've got an exam then!

Which annoys me because I wanted to join in with the Royal Wedding Drinking Game...
Reply 43
I'm not, in fact I think I would be able to go to see it fairly easily, but I just don't give a ****, might flick onto it on TV because Kate ________ Is hot :sexface:
Original post by Ich Dien
That will be there on Page 2.
Its not pessimism for christ sake. We live our own lives, not the monarchies by proxy just because we are British. We simply dont care that two people are getting married.

GTFO. None of us would care even if they did.

You cared enough to post and do you think Im lying?
Reply 45
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Glasgow Uni don't care about the Royal Wedding, I've got an exam then!

Which annoys me because I wanted to join in with the Royal Wedding Drinking Game...

ouch... tape it?
I'm from the south and I couldn't care less :dontknow:
That will be there on Page 2.
Its not pessimism for christ sake. We live our own lives, not the monarchies by proxy just because we are British. We simply dont care that two people are getting married.

People don't care - fair enough, but the people who are hating are placing emphasis on the fact it is a Royal Wedding. Who cares who they are, it's still a wedding. It's nice and they shouldn't be attacked because of their background on what might be the happiest day of their lives (until Kate does a Diana and legs it from The Establishment).
Original post by RadioHawk
ouch... tape it?

Nahhhh just do post exam drinking celebrations :tongue:
Reply 49
Original post by Left Hand Drive
You cared enough to post and do you think Im lying?

Your trying to **** fling about a football game, those people dont deserve it.
Nobody really cares about what you said (they will take no notice), I care about the fact you said it in the first place.

Original post by yahyahyahs
they shouldn't be attacked because of their background.

The background that affords them the right to rule me? What about the people who cant afford their own weddings because of their background?
This is a hundred year old argument.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey the north, you mad?
Reply 51
I've got no problem with people not being interested in the occasion as it's a free country and nobody should be forced to watch it, nonetheless there are an awful lot of unnecessary sour grapes over the whole thing.

For a start, anticipating a divorce is extraordinarily bad taste.

Second, the complaint about the cost makes no sense. It's a public occasion. Even if the couple declared it to be strictly private, the huge number of people going to see it by choice will necessitate police management.

In the same way that we don't expect only people who watch football matches to pay for policing of football crowds, we shouldn't expect the cost of policing a crowd for a royal wedding to be paid by others too.

This is the police's job - be it wedding, football match, student protest or whatever. We foot the bill regardless.
I find being indifferent about the whole affair makes it seem less grander of a deal than it is being portrayed as.
Reply 53
Original post by gladders
in the same way that we don't expect only people who watch football matches to pay for policing of football crowds, we shouldn't expect the cost of policing a crowd for a royal wedding to be paid by others too..

the football stadium doesnt charge the taxpayer for the electricity bill, along with everything else that the taxpayer is being charged for this wedding.
Reply 54
the football stadium doesnt charge the taxpayer for the electricity bill, along with everything else that the taxpayer is being charged for this wedding.

What else are they being charged with then?
Reply 55
Does the lack of street parties remark more upon the lack of social cohesion more than apathy on the royal wedding?

No :mad:

Probably several reasons :

The Royals have a minor presence in "The North" - so are less relevant, as we don't see them very often.

The North has a lower per capita income, and more unemployment - so less ££ to piss away on a party for strangers.

Less suburban brinksmanship - we don't have the same "keep up with the jones" culture - so there will ber fewer Terry & June types organising things to "outdo" the neighbours, or just show off with a bigger buffet :tongue:

Or perhaps we just have more common sense.

A lot of people I know are not happy about losing a working day out of an already short week.....its SATS in primary schools too few days later.
Reply 56
What else are they being charged with then?

You are not aware that the WHOLE shebang is coming from the taxpayer, one way or another.
Flt Lt Wales's salery comes from the tax payer now :biggrin:

Throw the term 'State Occasion' around loosely. What is the benefit to the individual here?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
It's only because Kate's 29 and they want her to get pregnant pronto. Feel sorry for the poor girl.
Your trying to **** fling about a football game, those people dont deserve it.
Nobody really cares about what you said (they will take no notice), I care about the fact you said it in the first place.

The background that affords them the right to rule me? What about the people who cant afford their own weddings because of their background?
This is a hundred year old argument.

Who dosnt derserve what? I'll post whatever the **** I want ok. GAWD some people on TSR are right up their own arse.
Reply 59
you are not aware that the WHOLE shebang is coming from the taxpayer, one way or another.
Flt Lt Wales's salery comes from the tax payer now :biggrin:

Does it? If it's a salary as a soldier, then that's fair enough isn't it?

Throw the term 'State Occasion' around loosely. What is the benefit to the individual here?

The rest of the cost, as far as I know, is coming from the Duchy of Cornwall, his father's institution, which receives no taxpayer's money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending