The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official Rosebery thread thing 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by evans.d
Just got license agreement thing, got a room in price band A at £124 a week, is this the cheapest or most expensive? And how do people know what wings they're in already, I really don't want to be in Myddelton wing by the sounds of it!

Hey, there has been an error with the hallpad system (check the rosebery facebook page for the full discussion, as well as info on what the cheapest/most expensive is) however £124 a week sounds like a single in the Rosebery Wing.

Unfortunately we (the committee) don't know much more than what has been discussed on the facebook page, as the price/room allocation is sorted out by management.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi guys, I think I've been offered Band C (£125 p.w), if anyone has been offered D and wanted C and would like to see if we can swap, let me know :smile: xx
Reply 182
Hey, I've been offered the same price but applied for a price band B - but I guess we just have to wait till monday to see what we actually have :frown:
Reply 183
Original post by GeeDerrett
Hi guys, I think I've been offered Band C (£125 p.w), if anyone has been offered D and wanted C and would like to see if we can swap, let me know :smile: xx

Hey Georgia,

Are you saying you wanted a twin room in the Rosebery Wing, but have been given a single in the Rosebery Wing? If that's the case, it shouldn't be too hard to swap. The twin rooms aren't normally that popular.
A room swap within the same hall isn't complex. You just have to find someone to swap with and then fill in a form at reception. You can also let reception know you're looking so they can notify you if anyone with a twin room drops out of Rosebery. x

p.s. At £124 a week, it sounds like you have price band A (although this whole system has confused everyone and so who knows what band is which!). The Myd Wing is normally more expensive than that, which makes us think that £124 is a single in the Rose Wing... however that then leaves the question as to which band the Myd Wing is.. I guess all is to be revealed shortly (perhaps don't make any room swap promises beforehand).
(edited 12 years ago)
I see! I asked for Price Band D, so if £124 is the cheapest then I guess I got what I wanted :smile: and I did want a single! I think you're right, I think I've just got confused by the Price Band situation!! Thanks for your help and I guess we'll all see what happens next week :smile: xx
Reply 185
I see! I asked for Price Band D, so if £124 is the cheapest then I guess I got what I wanted :smile: and I did want a single! I think you're right, I think I've just got confused by the Price Band situation!! Thanks for your help and I guess we'll all see what happens next week :smile: xx

Hi, I asked for a price band B and got the same price quote as you so I'm not really sure what band it actually is!
Reply 186
Yeah, I think we are all as confused as each other. I'm moving in a week early, so I'll let you know what room £124 per week gets me. I'm meant to be getting a Rosebery Single though (as committee members, we are meant to be able to choose our rooms). But yeah, I'll keep you posted. x

I asked for D and got given one at £117.. Not got a clue what's going on!
Reply 188
Ok, a coupla questions.

1) If I want to have guests to stay, should I bring an airbed or are there spare mattresses available?

2) What do people take all their stuff to uni in? I seem to have loads of stuff to bring and was thinking of putting it into those tesco boxes you get when they deliver shopping. It seems like a ridiculous amount of stuff but I feel like I need all of it!

3) Are we going to be allocated time slots when we can move in? Lots of my friends at other unis have been told when exactly they can move in, but I don't know about LSE.

4)Also, thoughts on bringing a guitar with me?

Reply 189
Original post by Chrisl12345
I asked for D and got given one at £117.. Not got a clue what's going on!

From the price, that sounds either like a shared Myd Wing room or a basement single room in the Rosebery Wing. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Reply 190
Original post by englica
Ok, a coupla questions.

1) If I want to have guests to stay, should I bring an airbed or are there spare mattresses available?

2) What do people take all their stuff to uni in? I seem to have loads of stuff to bring and was thinking of putting it into those tesco boxes you get when they deliver shopping. It seems like a ridiculous amount of stuff but I feel like I need all of it!

3) Are we going to be allocated time slots when we can move in? Lots of my friends at other unis have been told when exactly they can move in, but I don't know about LSE.

4)Also, thoughts on bringing a guitar with me?

Hey,

1) Hey, only twin rooms have a spare mattress available.. in the past, people in twin rooms have lent their spare mattress (stored under one of the beds) to other people down their corridor. Not sure how things will be this year though. Perhaps bring an airbed if you're unsure. Also, officially you are meant to sign guests in at reception although I don't know many people who do that.

2) Lol yeah people come with a whole car full, and their whole family to help with the offloading. Boxes and wheelie suitcases can be useful. There are two lifts in the Rosebery Wing from which you can access all rooms. Can be pretty congested on move in day, so watch out for that.

3) Nope, it does tend to be very busy on move-in day. I wouldn't recommend bringing any really young siblings (toddlers/babies or whatever).

4) Definitely bring your guitar. People tend to play together a lot and do shows etc.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you'd like me to expand on anything.
Reply 191
Original post by Hollie -
Hey,

1) Hey, only twin rooms have a spare mattress available.. in the past, people in twin rooms have lent their spare mattress (stored under one of the beds) to other people down their corridor. Not sure how things will be this year though. Perhaps bring an airbed if you're unsure. Also, officially you are meant to sign guests in at reception although I don't know many people who do that.

2) Lol yeah people come with a whole car full, and their whole family to help with the offloading. Boxes and wheelie suitcases can be useful. There are two lifts in the Rosebery Wing from which you can access all rooms. Can be pretty congested on move in day, so watch out for that.

3) Nope, it does tend to be very busy on move-in day. I wouldn't recommend bringing any really young siblings (toddlers/babies or whatever).

4) Definitely bring your guitar. People tend to play together a lot and do shows etc.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you'd like me to expand on anything.

Ok, thanks, that's really helpful. So there's no specific time for moving in? I think I read somewhere it's from 10 - is that right? Do you think it's better to move in at that time, so at 10, or to wait a bit?
From the price, that sounds either like a shared Myd Wing room or a basement single room in the Rosebery Wing. Sorry I can't be of more help!

It's definitely a single.. Are the basement rooms really bad? Please tell me they are still sociable?...
Reply 193
Original post by Chrisl12345
It's definitely a single.. Are the basement rooms really bad? Please tell me they are still sociable?...

Yep still sociable! They just have a lower rent cos it's technically underground.. some have a really nice view of the garden and the rooms on that level have higher ceilings (for some reason). I wouldn't worry about it at all! (Btw, you may not be in the basement.. I just know the rent there is slightly less than on the other floors.)
Reply 194
Original post by englica
Ok, thanks, that's really helpful. So there's no specific time for moving in? I think I read somewhere it's from 10 - is that right? Do you think it's better to move in at that time, so at 10, or to wait a bit?

You can move in at any time from 10am. In the past, it has been busy during the whole day so I'd just move in at whatever time is most convenient for you. Just make sure you move in before dinner, cos that's when most people start talking and things will be happening in the evening.
Reply 195
what kind of kitchen stuff should I take? and how much?

also, is bringing a tv/console normal?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by defuzion
what kind of kitchen stuff should I take? and how much?

also, is bringing a tv/console normal?

No kitchen utensils are provided, and the amount you take is dependent on how ambitious you are with your cooking/how much you are planning on using the canteen. Generally, most people will have a few plates, a saucepan, frying pan, few sets of cutlery, cutting knife, cooking spoon, oven tray.... if you arent a big cook then you can generally borrow things like colanders/chopping boards off people every once in a while.

Some people have had them in the past, but they definitely aren't as common as guitars. I'd say only a handful. Perhaps assess the situation first, and bring them later in the term if you can? I wouldn't think there would be enough time during freshers anyway.
Reply 197
No kitchen utensils are provided, and the amount you take is dependent on how ambitious you are with your cooking/how much you are planning on using the canteen. Generally, most people will have a few plates, a saucepan, frying pan, few sets of cutlery, cutting knife, cooking spoon, oven tray.... if you arent a big cook then you can generally borrow things like colanders/chopping boards off people every once in a while.

Some people have had them in the past, but they definitely aren't as common as guitars. I'd say only a handful. Perhaps assess the situation first, and bring them later in the term if you can? I wouldn't think there would be enough time during freshers anyway.

Do we need an oven tray? I didn't think there were ovens?
Reply 198
Original post by englica
Do we need an oven tray? I didn't think there were ovens?

Very observant haha! I personally use the grill as an oven.. so I still bring a tray. You can cook all sorts in there still (like chips, potato wedges, nuggets.. just not a whole chicken or a frozen pie).
Reply 199
Very observant haha! I personally use the grill as an oven.. so I still bring a tray. You can cook all sorts in there still (like chips, potato wedges, nuggets.. just not a whole chicken or a frozen pie).

Ohh ok, so (if I remember correctly from when I looked round) there is a microwave with two rings on top, like a little hob thing? And then is there a separate grill?
I guess if it's just a grill then you cant really bake anything? Like cake wise?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending