The Student Room Group

Say presumingly Labour come back into Power next election.... #Tuition Fees

Poll

If Labour came back into power do you think they would drop Tuition Fees?

Sorry if in wrong place, i'm new. :smile:

I was having a discussion with a friend at uni about this, say Labour Party presumingly come back into power come next election, do you personally think will they drop the tuition fees back down?

I know it wouldn't be an immediate thing as it has to go through various means before it can be done (or so i'm told) but do you think they would if they went back into power?

I worded that so badly, but tl;dr: Will Labour drop the tuition fees if they were to come back into power next election to what they were before?

Slightly? Not at all? etc

Edit: I'm asking simply because my friend was proposing that they may for a few years as an attempt to 'look good'? I'm not affected etc but was just wondering what other people were thinking really..
(edited 13 years ago)
given they were the ones to introduce it in the first place......I don't think so
Reply 2
No, because actually they were planning to set them at a straight £9000 around about 18 months ago, but withheld announcing this due to the election.
Reply 3
Original post by SoonToBeMedic
Sorry if in wrong place, i'm new. :smile:

I was having a discussion with a friend at uni about this, say Labour Party presumingly come back into power come next election, do you personally think will they drop the tuition fees back down?

I know it wouldn't be an immediate thing as it has to go through various means before it can be done (or so i'm told) but do you think they would if they went back into power?

I worded that so badly, but tl;dr: Will Labour drop the tuition fees if they were to come back into power next election to what they were before?

Slightly? Not at all? etc

Drop them back down? Are you mad!? They've just about got the tories to get the stick for something they were trying to make people not notice them do.
Nope, for the reasons cited above.
Reply 5
Labour were going to do it anyway. But the torries did it and they managed to make them seem like the criminals. Even though Labour had the idea about 18 months ago. Sly ****ers.
Reply 6
They might, just to win popularity with student voters, while putting in a much more profitable (for government) graduate tax. I never understood why people see political parties as one monolithic unchanging block, the Conservative Party of 2011 is now the Conservative Party of Thatcher. It's not even the Conservative Party of William Hague. The Labour Party, right now, is not the party of Blair and Brown. It's... not much really, it's struggling to crawl out from under their shadow to reestablish their identity but like a lot of teenagers they've chosen to try and reject what their parents taught them while inevitably being similar but not quite identical. Like any other organisations made out of humans they are rather fluid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Which party ended free tertiary education? The Labour Party. Had the Conservatives been the ones to do it, no doubt there would have been rioting and student / trade union uprising. But no, the wonderful Labour Party did it, so no-one was really all that fussed.

Not only that, but a decade later, they bankrupted the country by turning it into a client state, so that now high tuition fees are the only game in town.
Reply 8
How people forget they introduced tuition fees!
They would have done the same thing, do not let Teveth fool you into thinking they wouldn't have.
Reply 9
tbh.. that's what I hated most about the rise in tuition fees, they'll never go back down no matter the party's view, and the one party that would campaign for no fees (lib dems) has crossed to the darkside. There isn't really a strong enough voice to lower them (in parliament), so they won't bother.
Reply 10
Thing is, the LibDems said they would abolish fees if they won the election. They did not win the election, they're the lesser partner in a coalition.

For Labour, they are only opposing due to being in opposition. If the opposition openly agreed with things, they'd be pretty useless.
No. For the pure and simple fact that they commissioned the Browne Review and I find it incredible that any government would pay for a review then completely ignore the results.
Labour introduced Tuition fees and they asked for the Browne Report. Of course they would have increased them, they opposed them in December for the sake of opposition. They didn't want to look like the bad guys and Some Students now support them without the knowledge had Labour won a Majority last year they would have implemented themselves.
No of course they won't drop them.
The reality is that both "main" parties were going to increse them, and that is why the lib dems got a large amount of the student vote.
I doubt they would have got right to £9k though, and I doubt they would have made as much of a mess of it as the coalition has.
No. They introduced them and then they commissioned the Browne Report to see how much they should raise them by.

The poll results restore some of my faith in the cynicism of members of this forum.
It depends, not unless they are doing so in conjunction with the introduction of other measures.
:lolwut: as others have said they were the ones that were going to introduce them so I highly doubt they will!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending