The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Applied ICT Unit 7- June 2011 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by aad1l
Hiya cfrench, i purchased the guide from TeacherExchange website and purchased the credits to pay for the guide and when i went to go open the file, my computer crashed and it wont let me open the file again - its telling me to buy the credits again. ive emailed the website, but no reply yet. have you got any advice or any help?

thanks

PM me and I will sort it out for you today, Saturday.
Reply 81
Original post by tej125
Hello mate,

I purchased your guide and its terrific. Hoever, i'd be more than greatful if you'd be so kind to do an activity one example. I understand that you have a class. I'm sure you'll go through the exam with them so could you upload the stuff you do with them onto here?

cheers buddy

I went through last summer's examiner's report with my class and we produced this generic attempt at Activity 1 together. Obviously they need to adapt it a bit when they see the actual data in the exam. I can't send anyone the examiner's report because you have to have an edexcelonline account to get it. Your teacher will have one.
This is processes, inputs and outputs which students seem to find difficult. You might be asked to make a functional spec - think Unit 10, strand a. Or an info flow diagram - Unit 2, strand b.
Reply 82
Heres my dfd. Has a few of the missing features bits inc;uded and the data structure doesn't match cfrench's.
Reply 83
Thought I'd posted this but...

A thought about working out the age from date of birth - an easier way is to use DateDiff with days and then divide by 365. Not entirely accurate as it doesn't account for leap years but hey its a prototype!
Reply 84
Ok so how do u... create a unique username where 3 letters first name 2 letters last name +1 to the number
Ummm fields are UserName FirstName LastName
anyone?
Reply 85
Use Left() and then add one to a DCount from the table and put it together.
Reply 86
Original post by cfrench
PM me and I will sort it out for you today, Saturday.

have pm'd you buddy
ta
Reply 87
Original post by probbo

Original post by probbo
Use Left() and then add one to a DCount from the table and put it together.

Can u type it out?
the table names Register
been trying to google it, still cant get it to work
Reply 88
hey any one have tips for the last activity the evaluation ??
Reply 89
When is everybodys first sitting for the exam?
Reply 90
Original post by cfrench
I went through last summer's examiner's report with my class and we produced this generic attempt at Activity 1 together. Obviously they need to adapt it a bit when they see the actual data in the exam. I can't send anyone the examiner's report because you have to have an edexcelonline account to get it. Your teacher will have one.
This is processes, inputs and outputs which students seem to find difficult. You might be asked to make a functional spec - think Unit 10, strand a. Or an info flow diagram - Unit 2, strand b.

Appreciate it mate.
Reply 91
Hi, I start this exam on monday. I've created the full database using a estimation at what the exam data will look like (i'll upload that on my next post) which is fully functioning to all the requirements in the pre release; this should help answer a lot of your questions about how to go about creating solutions etc. Now I don't actually have a resource which tells me what exactly the breakdown of the exam is, I've simply learnt the skills. If someone could link or explain what the activities are and what is to be done in each on I would highly appreciate it and post my unit7 database up as thanks. If you could upload your complete attempts at the activities that would help too, in particular the writing at the beginning involving functioning spec, outputs/inputs etc.
Reply 92
Original post by anilc
Can u type it out?
the table names Register
been trying to google it, still cant get it to work

What have you got so far? Its most likely something wrong with quotes or brackets with the DCount() function. The help is ok but if you use the expression builder it'll be fine. Also try building up the expression bit by bit so you can see when it goes wrong.
Reply 93
Original post by dush_2
hey any one have tips for the last activity the evaluation ??

It'll very likely ask for what functionality is missing from the prototype and may even ask for an estimate on how long each could take to develop. Some of the original requirements are a bit daft as well so you may be asked to comment on those - the requirement about payments of £3 or more makes the validation to stop overpayments pretty horrible and realistically is unnecessary.
Reply 94
Original post by probbo

Original post by probbo
What have you got so far? Its most likely something wrong with quotes or brackets with the DCount() function. The help is ok but if you use the expression builder it'll be fine. Also try building up the expression bit by bit so you can see when it goes wrong.

Ummmm =UCase(Left([FirstName],3) & Left([LastName],2)) & Format(DMax("[Username]","Register")+1)
Original post by anilc
Ummmm =UCase(Left([FirstName],3) & Left([LastName],2)) & Format(DMax("[Username]","Register")+1)

where do you enter this? In the default value? my table name is tblMember, so if i change the "Register" into "tblMember" will it work?
Reply 96
Original post by anilc

UserName is a text field and so doesn't have a 'max' value so DMax is returning the error. Use Dcount instead which just returns a number.

It goes in the record source property of the unbound control on the form. FirstName and LastName are also unbound controls on the form.
Reply 97
You might want to look at a tutorial I did for a garage which calculates the next highest stock number for a car. The stock number is partly text and partly number.
You can find the tutorial at http://www2.csfg.org.uk/tutorials.html

It has audio, by the way.
Reply 98
Original post by cfrench

Original post by cfrench
You might want to look at a tutorial I did for a garage which calculates the next highest stock number for a car. The stock number is partly text and partly number.
You can find the tutorial at http://www2.csfg.org.uk/tutorials.html

It has audio, by the way.

i get how you do 1 but in this case its part of 2 different feilds
Reply 99
Original post by probbo

Original post by probbo
UserName is a text field and so doesn't have a 'max' value so DMax is returning the error. Use Dcount instead which just returns a number.

It goes in the record source property of the unbound control on the form. FirstName and LastName are also unbound controls on the form.

Okay so if there unbound controls u type the formula into there but how does it save under those fields on the actual form
or am i missing something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending