The Student Room Group

Choosing college help needed

Not sure if this is the right place but I feel I need help for choosing college:

College A= 5 minute walk away, not a bad college, could probably get a job while going here and would mean more sleep which would help me. Would also save money on travel. Fair few friends going here.

College B= One of the best in the country, about 25 minutes away (8 on train so add getting to college and the station), a lot of friends going here, very good college and easily better than college A, would enjoy my time studying, but would be hard to get a job (still probably could get there) and also have train far to pay (which my parents can pay for)

It is a very difficult decision, I'm leaning towards B and think it would be good for me. Does the college you go to effect potential jobs even if you get the same results (although B may be better for me anyway)?

Anyone had a similar dilemma and have any regrets or been happy with their choice?
Reply 1
25 minutes isn't much you know? go for B...
Reply 2
I think it's pretty obvious to go for option B!
You don't desperately need a job at college, I mean you still live at home and your parents get support for you while yours still in education so your not a burden on them.
And obviously a better education is why your going to college after all, so go for the best! :biggrin:
Reply 3
To be honest, its sounds like you prefer college B, just from what you say. So that's the one I would choose.
I think it also depends on what you think you might want to do afterwards... do you want higher education, or do you think you'll go on and do something else?

But personally, I think I'd choose B. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks guys in my mind was leaning towards college B I guess! :biggrin:
Reply 5
I think B :smile: but what college you go to isnt going to effect jobs too much.
Its like with universities, unless you go to oxbridge, most employers see a degree as a degree no matter where it's from. And like Kyuu said, 25 minutes isnt long :smile:
B :smile: this college must be awesome!!
Reply 7
B, but you sound like you've already decided lol.
Reply 8
B. 25 minutes really isn't a long time.
B, you can do loads whilst travelling too!
You don't need more sleep if you sleep earlier :smile:
Assuming you're doing A levels/etc then these are standardised exams across the whole country, so the college you go to is 100% irrelevant in terms of job applications.

It's different with universities because their exams are not standardised, so are not all the same difficulty.
Reply 11
Original post by angelmxxx
Assuming you're doing A levels/etc then these are standardised exams across the whole country, so the college you go to is 100% irrelevant in terms of job applications.

It's different with universities because their exams are not standardised, so are not all the same difficulty.

This is all relevant. But if it's a better college then chances are you'd end up with better grades. Which is what everyone wants!
Reply 12
I'd go for B personally :smile:
I was in a similar situation, I had a choice between going to one that was a 10 minute walk away and one that was a 10 minute walk to the bus stop then a 25 minute bus ride away. I chose the second one in the end, and it was the best decision I've ever made :smile: It's one of the top 20 in the UK and in the end all of my best friends ended up going there too, and there's a wider variety of people there because they come from all over the county.
At the end of the day only you know what's best for you but it sounds like you've already made your mind up :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending