The Student Room Group

Organic Chem mechanism

Hey,
could someone check a mechanism for me, if I send it?
It's for the alkylation of salicylic acid with acetic anyhydride and a H3PO4 catalyst
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by _scott
Hey,
could someone check a mechanism for me, if I send it?
It's for the alkylation of salicylic acid with acetic anyhydride and a H3PO4 catalyst
Thanks in advance

Yeah sure. You should end up with Aspirin btw.
You could just post it up here (you can attach files to posts) so you can get a few peoples opinions :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jam12
Yeah sure. You should end up with Aspirin btw.

Original post by EierVonSatan
You could just post it up here (you can attach files to posts) so you can get a few peoples opinions :smile:

Thanks

step 2 mech.png
Original post by _scott
Thanks

I'm afraid you got a couple of errors in there. Just use the phosphoric acid as an acid i.e. a H+ source that can protonate the anhydride. Then use the OH from the salicylic acid to attck it :smile:
Reply 5
You can't simply take OH's off a molecule and plonk them on another. Drawing OH groups fully e.g. O-H will help you understand that only H's are involved, hence these steps are called protonation/deprotonation.

Btw, remember mechanistic arrows can only come from a bond or lone pair - remember to do draw them on! :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm afraid you got a couple of errors in there. Just use the phosphoric acid as an acid i.e. a H+ source that can protonate the anhydride. Then use the OH from the salicylic acid to attck it :smile:

Original post by jam12
You can't simply take OH's off a molecule and plonk them on another. Drawing OH groups fully e.g. O-H will help you understand that only H's are involved, hence these steps are called protonation/deprotonation.

Btw, remember mechanistic arrows can only come from a bond or lone pair - remember to do draw them on! :tongue:

Ah yeah, I feel silly now :P obviously wasn't thinking properly when I said the acid loses the OH- !
So during the protonation of the anhydride, would the C=O be attacked or the C-O-C ?
Reply 7
Original post by _scott
Ah yeah, I feel silly now :P obviously wasn't thinking properly when I said the acid loses the OH- !
So during the protonation of the anhydride, would the C=O be attacked or the C-O-C ?

Protonate a C=O oxygen and then have the OH lone pair from salicylic acid attack the other C=O carbon. This way you can draw arrows to spit out a molecule of acetic acid. I don't think you could do this by protonating the C-O-C oxygen. Well, you could but you'd end up having to transfer the proton onto the C=O oxygen at some point anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Kyri
Protonate a C=O oxygen and then have the OH lone pair from salicylic acid attack the other C=O carbon. This way you can draw arrows to spit out a molecule of acetic acid. I don't think you could do this by protonating the C-O-C oxygen. Well, you could but you'd end up having to transfer the proton onto the C=O oxygen at some point anyway.

Okay, thanks!
Would this be ok?step 2 mech.png
Hmm no. In the first step use the lone pair on the oxygen from the C=O bond to form C=O+-H then use the R-OH (on the salicylic acid's aromatic ring) to attack the carbon in the C=O+-H with a lone pair from the oxygen.

This might be simpler for you if you draw the mechanism without the acid catalyst?
Reply 10
Original post by Kyri

The OH attacks the protonated carbonyl group, not the other one.

@OP, draw without the full acid catalyst structure like EierVorSatan has suggested. The catalyst is only there to protonate one of the C=O groups (to C=O+-H) making it more electrophilic.
Reply 11

Original post by jam12

Hi, sorry I haven't been on the computer for a few days. Sorry to bother you again, but would this be okay?

step 2 mechanism.png
This is quite tricky, so I think I'll just save some time and post it up - if you have any questions please ask :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
This is quite tricky, so I think I'll just save some time and post it up - if you have any questions please ask :smile:

Thanks for your help!
Since it's quite tricky, do you think I should just leave this out my investigation report? It's for Advanced Higher chemistry
Original post by _scott
Thanks for your help!
Since it's quite tricky, do you think I should just leave this out my investigation report? It's for Advanced Higher chemistry

No, it's just a bit above A-level/Advanced higher in my opinion so it'd look good in a report. Again, if there is something you don't understand - just ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest