The Student Room Group

Glasgow or Leeds?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by resortini
Thanks for the reply :biggrin: Haha, yeah I must admit you just about sold it to me lol.... One of the only things which I don't like (not sure if that's the right phrase) about medicine at Glasgow is the fact you can't intercalate externally, whereas you can at Leeds (plus they offer a better variety of intercalated degrees), so that's just a little annoying, as I would have liked to maybe go elsewhere to intercalate (maybe nearer home for a year?).... Could this possibly change within the time I am there?

Yeah big negative! However I am working on it :wink: I'll be damned if I'm not going to London to intercalate :wink:

In no way count on it though.

Also bare in mind if you go to another Uni you're likely to have to pay the new fee prices so it's not always a negative.. you'll save like 6K
Reply 41
Original post by lekky
Yeah big negative! However I am working on it :wink: I'll be damned if I'm not going to London to intercalate :wink:

Also bare in mind if you go to another Uni you're likely to have to pay the new fee prices so it's not always a negative.. you'll save like 6K

If you can convince Glasgow to intercalate at other unis then you will become a legend
Reply 42
Original post by lekky

If you are able to persuade them that would make Glasgow near enough perfect for me :biggrin:

Sorry, I don't think the new tuition fees apply to anyone starting university this year, and won't affect them throughout the entire course - I believe it's only those who start in 2012 (?).... Correct me if I'm wrong.

:biggrin:
Reply 43
What's the deal with the accommodation at Glasgow? Is it first come first served sort of thing, or will I still have a good chance of getting my first pick since I hold an unconditional offer?!?

If you wanted the only en-suite under the uni itself and isn't 40mins away from the uni itself you'd have had to apply in february or early march in the least to get it, sorry. Leeds is superior accommodation wise. Glasgow's awesome cos it lets you do two electives, Leeds is better i think cos it's integrated and only takes one year to intercalate for a Bsc Hons as opposed to Glasgow which takes 2 years, but they let you do a medsci in one year. Either is brill, reputation doesn't count for med school, if you wanna work oversea, both are equally fine so i doubt it matters. Leeds nightlife is awesome though
Reply 44
Original post by dmz
If you wanted the only en-suite under the uni itself and isn't 40mins away from the uni itself you'd have had to apply in february or early march in the least to get it, sorry. Leeds is superior accommodation wise. Glasgow's awesome cos it lets you do two electives, Leeds is better i think cos it's integrated and only takes one year to intercalate for a Bsc Hons as opposed to Glasgow which takes 2 years, but they let you do a medsci in one year. Either is brill, reputation doesn't count for med school, if you wanna work oversea, both are equally fine so i doubt it matters. Leeds nightlife is awesome though

Hi DMZ, thanks for the reply. Accommodation was never a factor for me when picking which one, but yes, I agree, Leeds is a lot better for that, but never mind :rolleyes: All the doc's I have asked would go to Glasgow, without a doubt, as it has such a long and great history as a medical shcool and university.... Both cities have a great nightlife, so that's a problem - great either way compared to where I live lol. Anyway, I am extremely happy to be going to Glasgow and I know I have made the right choice :biggrin:

Btw, have you had a career change or something?
Reply 45
Hi DMZ, thanks for the reply. Accommodation was never a factor for me when picking which one, but yes, I agree, Leeds is a lot better for that, but never mind :rolleyes: All the doc's I have asked would go to Glasgow, without a doubt, as it has such a long and great history as a medical shcool and university.... Both cities have a great nightlife, so that's a problem - great either way compared to where I live lol. Anyway, I am extremely happy to be going to Glasgow and I know I have made the right choice :biggrin:

Btw, have you had a career change or something?

Yea Glasgow butt****ed me post interview and Leeds pro interview. Lol. Still plan on medicine eventually. CONGRATZ tho :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by dmz
Yea Glasgow butt****ed me post interview and Leeds pro interview. Lol. Still plan on medicine eventually. CONGRATZ tho :tongue:

Thank you, I'm genuinely sorry for you (not just saying it), but I am sure it will only make you a better doctor eventually. I think A LOT of luck is involved with the admissions process, it could easily be the other way around. Best of luck for the future :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending