The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail AS-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by awais590
Aww no way =/

what board is it?

Mine's AQA and it's pretty crap tbh, I thought A level English Lit would be awesome but it's just so tedious.

I hate A levels. :rolleyes:

I think ours is AQA...
For our AS level, literally all but one person has failed it. Me and a few others get to sit it for the 3rd time this summer. First time round, everyone failed and the teachers were like "k maybe we're doing something wrong", second time around, all but one failed so the teachers said "WELL OBVIOUSLY IT'S NOT OUR FAULT IF ONE PERSON PASSED."
rage.
Original post by Daydreamer18
Firstly, the majority of people I know of in year 12/13 did very badly in their January exams. Not sure whether it's a coincidence or something's going on with the exam boards, but I don't recall results that bad when I was in that position.

Secondly, AS grades aren't neccessarily a deciding factor. I got BBCD in my AS levels and picked it all up and the course I'm on now is AAB requirement. Obviously we're not talking Us there, but the general point is that it can be turned around.

In terms of actually failing and having to re-sit - I know someone who failed his AS year, and re-sat. At the end of the 3 years he had AAB at A level and is studying at Newcastle uni. If that does happen, you just need to be clever and work it in to your personal statement. Say things like 'I took the difficult decision to re-start my A levels and succeed in what I discovered were the right subject choices for me' or something along those lines. That's what he did anyways. Your chances aren't ruined. Good luck.

I know someone who resat his entire AS year, manage to attain A*A*AA and is off to study PPS at Cambridge. :colondollar:
Original post by Perfectionist
Not dealing with this well. Went from B-A* in GCSE to a (single) U in Jan exams and now, I have a feeling I have to resit this whole year as my sixth form requires a minimum of 4 D's to continue to year 13. I am being stupid, yes. But what are the exact consequences?

I've got my mind on LLB Law.. haven't researched uni's properly as I've left the pile of prospectuses for after exams.. but vaguely - Sussex, Warwick, UEA, Exeter.... urgh.

Should I completely forget about those names if what I fear will happen, takes place?

P.S. I do Politics, History, English Lit and Economics and am supposed to achieve AAAB (B for Politics.. as I got the U for that)

I doubt anyone on here has A-Levels like mine, so I'll tell you exactly what will happen.

I got UUUU in my AS results in August 2008. If you somehow managed to do that badly (which I don't think you will) here's what will happen

Your 6th form will look at your GCSEs and realise that you're not as retarded as your AS results. They will not let you go onto A2 because there is absolutely no way in hell you can recover UUUU and get into a decent university in one year. No chance.

They'll offer you the chance to resit the year. You should take this. They'll probably recommend that you take only 3 AS subjects.

Like I said, I got UUUU. Photography, Geography, Politics and Media. I'm sure there's an underlying reason for you not coping with AS so far. For me, I was going through a particularly bad part of my life that lasted about four years.

It's set me back, but honestly, take a look at my grades in my sig. If I can recover from that, you can too.
You will be thrown out of TSR and will have to beg for scraps on the cold, harsh streets of London, where even the Metropolitan students will look down upon you as you hang your head in shame.
if it makes you feel any better, i got BCDDD last year and i was so disappointed, and that wasn't just in january, that was at AS in total. Considering i'd been an A* student at GCSE it was a shock, but i got my head down this year and did some resits and came out with 7 A's in january, and my AS marks are now AAAB overall (i dropped a subject and did resit). The best part about it is i did really well in my first A2 modules as well so in Business, i'm on 295/300 and need 25 for an A! it's relieved so much pressure for june and i'm so excited for uni :smile:

My only regret is that i didn't do this in june so that i could've put it on my UCAS, cos with them grades i think i was lucky to get offers from uni's asking for AAB/ABB. And if i'd had these grades last june, i could've probably even applied to better uni's, but it's all worked out fine in the end cos i'm gonna go to where i really wanted to go anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest