The Student Room Group

I think I will be kicked out of uni

I think i failed 4 out of 6 modules in university due to unforeseen circumstances. I had covid at the start of the year so i missed most of the semester. I failed two modules last semester and i think i may have failed 2 this semester aswel due to the stress and anxiety that carried on from last semester. Will i be able to resit the year?
Reply 1
it depends on the uni but i think most unis allow you to resit, you can always contact your student support and discuss the issue, has anyone actually told you you will be kicked out for failing and not be able to resit?
Reply 2
Original post by luna676
it depends on the uni but i think most unis allow you to resit, you can always contact your student support and discuss the issue, has anyone actually told you you will be kicked out for failing and not be able to resit?

Hiya, Nobody has told me il be kicked out but this is what it says on the academic regulations book: “For full-time undergraduate programmes only at an intermediate level or at the award level, a student who has not met the level average requirement or passed 50% of the credits following referral (sections 3.5 and 3.2.1) will have failed the programme. If at least 50% of the credits at that level have been passed, or the level average requirement has been met, a student who has not already repeated the level will normally be offered an opportunity to repeat the level. The student may also be permitted to re-register for the failed module/s and repeat them as if for the first time. A student may be permitted to retrieve such failure with or without attendance, subject to any specific module requirements for the programme. The marks gained at that attempt will be awarded in full and referral opportunities will be offered.”
From what I understand here, if i dont pass at least 50% of the credits il be kicked out? I really hope im wrong but thats what i can understand from this it’s very confusing to me
Reply 3
"a student who has not already repeated the level will normally be offered an opportunity to repeat the level. The student may also be permitted to re-register for the failed module/s and repeat them as if for the first time"
this means you can resit if it is your FIRST time resitting
"a student who has not met the level average requirement or passed 50% of the credits"
this means you have to pass half of the course i.e. if you are doing 120 credits which you probably are you must pass 60 of them and each modules in first year is usually worth 20 so you have to pass 3/6 modules to pass your year,

If you have summer exams you could still pass some modules depending on your score and how much of ur module average they are worth, if you know you failed 2 modules already then it is likely you will have to resit, contact ur academic advisor or tutor and tell them basically what you said above, u have given valid reasons for missing module content like mental health and illness etc. but they will probably want to discuss with you what will happen if you need to resit and how to prevent this from happening again.
It might be you have actually passed one you weren't expecting to and so you might be worrying for no reason haha :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by luna676
"a student who has not already repeated the level will normally be offered an opportunity to repeat the level. The student may also be permitted to re-register for the failed module/s and repeat them as if for the first time"
this means you can resit if it is your FIRST time resitting
"a student who has not met the level average requirement or passed 50% of the credits"
this means you have to pass half of the course i.e. if you are doing 120 credits which you probably are you must pass 60 of them and each modules in first year is usually worth 20 so you have to pass 3/6 modules to pass your year,

If you have summer exams you could still pass some modules depending on your score and how much of ur module average they are worth, if you know you failed 2 modules already then it is likely you will have to resit, contact ur academic advisor or tutor and tell them basically what you said above, u have given valid reasons for missing module content like mental health and illness etc. but they will probably want to discuss with you what will happen if you need to resit and how to prevent this from happening again.
It might be you have actually passed one you weren't expecting to and so you might be worrying for no reason haha :smile:

Sorry i forgot to mention im in my second year right now haha. So in first semester i failed two modules and im pretty sure i failed 2 more this semester. And im done for the year just waiting for the results. So would I be able to retake the year even if i dont get 50% of the credits because this was my first attempt? Thanks Luna :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by bigsmoke74
Sorry i forgot to mention im in my second year right now haha. So in first semester i failed two modules and im pretty sure i failed 2 more this semester. And im done for the year just waiting for the results. So would I be able to retake the year even if i dont get 50% of the credits because this was my first attempt? Thanks Luna :smile:

I mean the info doesn't say it has to be your first year to resit, it just says it has to be your first attempt at the year so can be your first attempt at second year, reach out to your academic tutor if you want to be absolutely sure but the handbook shows you have the right to resit,
best of luck!
Reply 6
Original post by luna676
I mean the info doesn't say it has to be your first year to resit, it just says it has to be your first attempt at the year so can be your first attempt at second year, reach out to your academic tutor if you want to be absolutely sure but the handbook shows you have the right to resit,
best of luck!

Thank you Luna appreciate it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending