The Student Room Group

comfort eating

Ok this must sound really dumb or something but whenever something happens I can't stop eating. On Thursday I had a really bad day and I ate 12 bars of rocky and a large bar of glaxay, I got through 24 cans of coke in 2 days. It's upsetting me because things happen that I can't control so I eat and i'm putting loads of weight back on becasue I don't do alot of excercise, my only excersie is walking.
It's also costing me alot of money, if there isn't anything sweet in the house I will actully go out and buy cakes and chocolate and things like that. And now thinking about it i did actully hide all the empty packets of the rocky bars because i know my mum will go on at me about them.
I'm really worried im just going to carry on like this and become really really fat and have to wear liike size 18/20 clothes again.
Reply 1
I've had this problem both ways aroung 2 years ago i used to binge it - I didnt put on weight because i didnt eat proper meals but it made me feel really bad cos my blood sugar was all over the place - id be falling asleep by 11am at school if i didnt have more sweets. i used to eat a packet of biscuits and 2 big bags of stawberry laces a day.
the way i delt with it at school was to leave my purse at home and take food with me and i started bingin on healthy stuff - cherries and stuff
keep a food diary so you can see things more clearly write down
- what happenes before you start bingin and your mood
- your mood while your eating
- how you feel imediatly after
- how that feelin changes over the next hour or so

now im having the same promblem in reverse I dont eat.
Reply 2
Talk about your problems to someone, instead of keeping it inside and eating to comfort yourself.
Reply 3
Katia
Talk about your problems to someone, instead of keeping it inside and eating to comfort yourself.
its not always that easy to talk to someone - i personally find it very hard
Reply 4
Niaya
I've had this problem both ways aroung 2 years ago i used to binge it - I didnt put on weight because i didnt eat proper meals but it made me feel really bad cos my blood sugar was all over the place - id be falling asleep by 11am at school if i didnt have more sweets. i used to eat a packet of biscuits and 2 big bags of stawberry laces a day.
the way i delt with it at school was to leave my purse at home and take food with me and i started bingin on healthy stuff - cherries and stuff
keep a food diary so you can see things more clearly write down
- what happenes before you start bingin and your mood
- your mood while your eating
- how you feel imediatly after
- how that feelin changes over the next hour or so

now im having the same promblem in reverse I dont eat.

I'm at college so i can't not take money with me. But the food diary is a good idea, thanks.
I had a similar sort of thing. Just say NO, if you feel yourself wanting to eat then dont just make yourself a cup of tea, water, do some homwork, read. Or just think to yourself do i really want to eat this because its not going to make me feel better for more than 10mins, after that youll just feel guilty, sick and really full for the next 24hrs.
Reply 6
Anonymous
Ok this must sound really dumb or something but whenever something happens I can't stop eating. On Thursday I had a really bad day and I ate 12 bars of rocky and a large bar of glaxay, I got through 24 cans of coke in 2 days. It's upsetting me because things happen that I can't control so I eat and i'm putting loads of weight back on becasue I don't do alot of excercise, my only excersie is walking.
It's also costing me alot of money, if there isn't anything sweet in the house I will actully go out and buy cakes and chocolate and things like that. And now thinking about it i did actully hide all the empty packets of the rocky bars because i know my mum will go on at me about them.
I'm really worried im just going to carry on like this and become really really fat and have to wear liike size 18/20 clothes again.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: is this some kind of girl issue ??

What's the big deal about comfort eating ?? I do it too, whether I'm bored or in a annoyed, eating will improve my mood.

How big is size 18/20 anyway ??
Reply 7
I've never experienced this, so I can't give a point of view from experience, but have you tried snacking on healthier foods instead? Grapes, nuts, dried fruit, etc? I don't know if this would work though, I'm sorry.

--------------

Wineblood
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: is this some kind of girl issue ??

What's the big deal about comfort eating ?? I do it too, whether I'm bored or in a annoyed, eating will improve my mood.

How big is size 18/20 anyway ??

The average size for women in the UK is size 14.
18/20. Remember michelle of pop idol, that size.
Reply 9
Try drinking water, after a few glasses I usually find that I don't want food on top of it.
Reply 10
rachelrainbow32

1) Not all of us are originally from the UK.

2) Not all of us watch that kind of stuff.

So, I still don't know what kind of size youre on about.
Reply 11
rachelrainbow32
She was about a size 28 actually, which is loads larger
Reply 12
rachelrainbow32

She was more like a 28, wasn't she? And now she is down to something like an 18. Apparently 47% of British women are size 16 or above.

To the OP: it sounds as if you're having trouble coping with bad events and stressed in your life, which is totally normal. We all have different coping strategies and some people are better than others at getting over bad things. What it is important for you to know is that your method of coping is totally normal - a lot of people comfort eat.

However, you seem to be taking it to the extreme, you're almost binging, I would say, and that can lead to other problems. After you've eaten a lot, you have to put the episode behind you. Once its done, its done and you have to move on. Poica suggests snacking on healthier foods but that may not work for you, because healthy foods don't have the psychological effect that healthy foods do. Your problem isn't with food, its with why you eat food and that's the part that you might want to work on.

I'm no professional but I've found this website useful in the past:

http://www.reachout.com.au/default.asp?ti=326

I always try to anticipate how I'd feel if I had a bad day and what I'd want to do afterwards. Therefore, when it happens, I find I'm more able to deal with it because I think, "Ok, I knew that something bad had to happen at some point, but I've got my plan to deal with it and that's what I'm going to do". I find it useful, when I want to comfort eat, to just have one chocolate bar and then wait half an hour. If I still 'need' another one, I'll have another one and then stop. That amount of sugar normally does the trick, along with some sleep. Also, having a good cry is a healthy way of releasing stress and pent-up emotions. Overall: gaining weight is not a crime or a sin, it is something that people do, and a size 18/20 is not 'disgusting' or anything that people might say.
Reply 13
Wineblood
1) Not all of us are originally from the UK.

2) Not all of us watch that kind of stuff.

So, I still don't know what kind of size youre on about.

Okay, most women aim to be a size 10/12, if not smaller.
Reply 14
I am finding that I am comfort eating at the moment. I'm really stressed and not feeling too good, so I just eat. Last year I never ate, and now I'm completely different.
i did used to binge eat alot, now its gone to teh otehr extreme where im lucky to eat something during the day. my appitite is highly affected by my mood. :s: Someone once tol me if you get the urge to binge eat have a drink of water etc, supposdly menat to make you fel more full?
Reply 17
xXMessedUpXx
i did used to binge eat alot, now its gone to teh otehr extreme where im lucky to eat something during the day. my appitite is highly affected by my mood. :s: Someone once tol me if you get the urge to binge eat have a drink of water etc, supposdly menat to make you fel more full?

Binge eating isn't about being full. If it were, then people wouldn't binge as they'd stop when they were full.

Binging is about a psychological need for a certain food or just a mass of general food. People use different foods for different reasons, to different extremes.

Latest

Trending

Trending