The Student Room Group

gained about 1stone from exam season. back to square 1 + sad

So ive been going to the gym consistently until before easter. ate healthily, was on a very large calorie deficit and managed to lose a stone and a half from December 2022, and also gained muscle. came back home from uni for easter to revise for exams and Ive been forced to eat everything my mum cooks, and also no time to exercise - have kinda let myself go. i am turning 21 end of may and i was losing weight for that, and now I'm rlly upset. will i bounce back if i consistently go the gym from mid-may and get on a very strict diet? i realise it won't work long term but
You don’t have to eat everything your mum makes. You can meal prep and decide what you are going to eat. You are 20. If you really wanted to, you can spare 15 mins to do a YouTube workout, it’s discipline and making things work around your uni work.

Weight loss is hard and if you restrict yourself too far you can gain the weight back and then some
Hi there,

Exam season can be so stressful and sometimes that can reflect on your body. It’s okay! You are clearly aware of why this has happened and why you feel the way you do so no need to put more pressure on yourself and beating yourself up about it.

The first thing you can do is just go on about your day like you said you used to and that’s you making a positive start back into things! You should be proud of yourself getting through exam season and with that, treat yourself to a new, healthier lifestyle to enjoy life in. Obviously discipline will help you get back into the swing of things but, whenever I find myself struggling to “get back on it” I make myself stay consistent for at least 2 weeks (and I don’t weigh myself!) this allows your body to adjust and feel good again without the mental hindrance of the scales. After this you’ll have a structure that fits right for you and a routine you are able to follow comfortably so it won’t even feel like you’re “trying to lose weight”.

Wishing you all the best!
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest