The Student Room Group

AQA HIS3J The State and The People: Britain: 1918-1964

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

You have literally saved my life, thank you!

I've been revising Labour constantly, I really think/hope it's going to come up. There's got to be some sort of Labour-related question though, surely?

To be honest, what I'm most worried about is time management, I'm really struggling getting two substantial 45 mark questions down in 90 minutes. There's just so much content, I'm almost certain my timing's going to let me down in the exam next week.

...I'm panicking.
Reply 41
Original post by rxLucy
You have literally saved my life, thank you!

I've been revising Labour constantly, I really think/hope it's going to come up. There's got to be some sort of Labour-related question though, surely?

To be honest, what I'm most worried about is time management, I'm really struggling getting two substantial 45 mark questions down in 90 minutes. There's just so much content, I'm almost certain my timing's going to let me down in the exam next week.

...I'm panicking.

No problem.

I'd have thought there would be something on it. Hope so anyway. DLG, Labour (or at least the depression) and Tory domination would be my bet but we'll have to see.

The exam board know the time management (and that it's an exam) so they won't expect pages and pages, and with the synoptic q need less detail. I'm aiming for 2/3/4 pages depending on the question. It's a mark a minute which is OK considering most will come in big clumps. Another reason not to have a massive introduction too.

I was OK with the time last year (but then I didn't do so well so that might be why). If all else fails then bullet points are the last option.

It's my only exam though so I have no real excuse :biggrin:
Lucky so and so only having one exam!

I'm starting to panic a little bit now, just about the interpretation for certain topics, mainly.
Anyone got any good advice/resources/tips for getting in different viewpoints etc?
Reply 43
Original post by Mfreeman.
I think in light of June 2010's questions - and as we have little else to go by- DLG might be unlikely as it was asked then, as was the Tory's 1918-1945 political record and their economic handling of 1951-1964. I don't think enough on the syllabus is focused on the Liberals, and therefore my guesses, would be on the Labour party - either of Macdonald's premierships or both- and on the '30's, perhaps about new industries.
Trying to reason is hard however, the examiners could double bluff and ask very similar questions again. I'm not sure if there was a January resit paper, might be handy if one of us could find out.
Thanks for the reply

Nice to see some other people doing my course!!! :tongue:
well, aqa set similar questions (LG, conservative 1924-1964, and EEC and economic problems) in the specimen paper, as well as the june 2010 paper, whether that means anything i don't know!! :tongue:

Was there one in january 2011?? xxx
Reply 44
Original post by icklepixie
Nice to see some other people doing my course!!! :tongue:
well, aqa set similar questions (LG, conservative 1924-1964, and EEC and economic problems) in the specimen paper, as well as the june 2010 paper, whether that means anything i don't know!! :tongue:

Was there one in january 2011?? xxx

It can only be done in June.
Reply 45
Original post by James_B123
It can only be done in June.

how random!!!! anyways, i just hope that they ask good questions, one perhaps similar to the two already set?? This is after all only a new syllabus and His1G i did last year would ask quite similar questions!! :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by icklepixie
how random!!!! anyways, i just hope that they ask good questions, one perhaps similar to the two already set?? This is after all only a new syllabus and His1G i did last year would ask quite similar questions!! :biggrin:

I know, I tried to do it in January and was told in November I couldn't. :tongue:

That was my reasoning too; new syllabus so a bit of time to bed in and get it established. AQA seem to like DLG and maybe they want to try a question on Labour.
So we all seem to think Labour will come up and most probably will be the synoptic question. Any suggestions on possible questions that could be asked in relation to Labour and what themes could we associate to them when answering a labour question. (If that makes sense)
I hope the 1951-64 period does not come up, I hate it so much.

Can anyone give me a round up/lead me to a resource with a round up of this period, especially economically. It makes my head hurt :frown:
Reply 49
I have completely switched off post 1951 too, it happens every year, the stuff towards the end of the syllabus is crammed into 2 lessons. When i done a paper on America we missed out Hiroshima as it was the last part of the syllabus- as if it was no big deal ha.

Labour synoptic questions,hmm. I think the most synoptic of all: How far can the rise of Labour in the period 1918-1964 be considered a result of (insert factor)?

Less synoptic could incorporate the first and second premierships of Macdonald. Part of me wonders; as it is the first time they are - assumably- asking about Labour, perhaps focus would be put on Attlee as 1945-1951 was the only time they actually implemented significant policies. Maybe not, but just a theory.

Also, assuming a question will be on the Tories, perhaps this will focus around Baldwin, given his importance and the fact that the Tory question in June was 1951-1964 and thus predominantly Churchill,Eden and Macmillan.

Just ideas :smile:
I have completely switched off post 1951 too, it happens every year, the stuff towards the end of the syllabus is crammed into 2 lessons. When i done a paper on America we missed out Hiroshima as it was the last part of the syllabus- as if it was no big deal ha.

Labour synoptic questions,hmm. I think the most synoptic of all: How far can the rise of Labour in the period 1918-1964 be considered a result of (insert factor)?

Less synoptic could incorporate the first and second premierships of Macdonald. Part of me wonders; as it is the first time they are - assumably- asking about Labour, perhaps focus would be put on Attlee as 1945-1951 was the only time they actually implemented significant policies. Maybe not, but just a theory.

Also, assuming a question will be on the Tories, perhaps this will focus around Baldwin, given his importance and the fact that the Tory question in June was 1951-1964 and thus predominantly Churchill,Eden and Macmillan.

Just ideas :smile:

They all sound like sensible predictions to be honest. I imagine the National Government could also come up in some shape or form, or even the 30s was is the devil's decade (which would be an AMAZING question)
Reply 51
Original post by harrietdaisy
They all sound like sensible predictions to be honest. I imagine the National Government could also come up in some shape or form, or even the 30s was is the devil's decade (which would be an AMAZING question)

We looked at the 'devils decade' question in class. It is a nice question, but a bit ambigious. Out of interest -as it sounds like you are prepared for such a question ha-how would you go about answering it ? Just for basis of comparison.
We looked at the 'devils decade' question in class. It is a nice question, but a bit ambigious. Out of interest -as it sounds like you are prepared for such a question ha-how would you go about answering it ? Just for basis of comparison.

Haha well we also did this question in class, I think it would be a nice question because it's nowhere near as complicated as some of the other stuff on the course.

This would be my plan:

Intro: Wall Street Crash, Devils Decade due to high unemployment, war stopped this with rearmament/production, is the phrase fair?

1) Yes. Unemployment in staples was high. Miners 35%, Ship Building 62%, Steel 48%.
Decline of staples had been happening for many years - structural unemployment. Problems with adaption to economy - transition from old to new industries. Pools of localised unemployment - North East, Scotland and South Wales.

2) No. Growth of new industries, although there was seasonal unemployment. Motoring, electricity etc. employment growing. Mass production methods and low costs help increase profits.
Incomes increased on average during this period - also increased consumer spending.
Also housing boom due to over production and lower interest rates (cheap money to encourage investment) - more people owned their own homes.
Towards end of period rearmament - got near full employment.

3) No. Positive political atmosphere. No political extremism/intense opposition like europe.
Communists/Fascists (Mosley) had very limited success - due to gov measures keeping prosperity?
3 million car owners, increased leisure opportunities, cinema etc.
AJP Taylor said people were enjoying a richer life than ever before - shorter hours, higher wages, more holidays. Holidays with Pay Act 1938.

4) Yes. Depression was more horrific because against a general backdrop of rising living standards.
Bad for those who were unemployed. Dole and means test were humiliating, long term unemployment persisted. If unemployed for over a month less likely to be employed again.
20 million underfed, many children living on the poverty line.
Psychological effects on the population.

Conclusion: Fair for certain areas but overall there was a growth in prosperity.

Not sure how good that is but it's quite simple.
Thinking of gambling on not revising 1951-1964. Worth the risk????
Reply 54
I'd have thought it would be there in some form.

Partly because it would allow a nice Labour question and partly because it was specifically added to the syllabus (it used to be only 1918-51)
Reply 55
Haha well we also did this question in class, I think it would be a nice question because it's nowhere near as complicated as some of the other stuff on the course.

This would be my plan:

Intro: Wall Street Crash, Devils Decade due to high unemployment, war stopped this with rearmament/production, is the phrase fair?

1) Yes. Unemployment in staples was high. Miners 35%, Ship Building 62%, Steel 48%.
Decline of staples had been happening for many years - structural unemployment. Problems with adaption to economy - transition from old to new industries. Pools of localised unemployment - North East, Scotland and South Wales.

2) No. Growth of new industries, although there was seasonal unemployment. Motoring, electricity etc. employment growing. Mass production methods and low costs help increase profits.
Incomes increased on average during this period - also increased consumer spending.
Also housing boom due to over production and lower interest rates (cheap money to encourage investment) - more people owned their own homes.
Towards end of period rearmament - got near full employment.

3) No. Positive political atmosphere. No political extremism/intense opposition like europe.
Communists/Fascists (Mosley) had very limited success - due to gov measures keeping prosperity?
3 million car owners, increased leisure opportunities, cinema etc.
AJP Taylor said people were enjoying a richer life than ever before - shorter hours, higher wages, more holidays. Holidays with Pay Act 1938.

4) Yes. Depression was more horrific because against a general backdrop of rising living standards.
Bad for those who were unemployed. Dole and means test were humiliating, long term unemployment persisted. If unemployed for over a month less likely to be employed again.
20 million underfed, many children living on the poverty line.
Psychological effects on the population.

Conclusion: Fair for certain areas but overall there was a growth in prosperity.

Not sure how good that is but it's quite simple.

Seems very good to me. I really just wan't to do the exam now ha, it's is driving me mad. Not till 1:30 in the afternoon as well , so a whole morning of panic.
Reply 56
There's been months of panic for me :tongue:
Original post by Red Devil k18
Thinking of gambling on not revising 1951-1964. Worth the risk????

I was tempted to do that as well, but the decided to revise it anyway. To be honest, you would be unlucky to be unable to dodge it, as it came up last time. BUT, a) is it worth it, and b) you could get a really awkward question on a topic you thought was ok.

EDIT: Also, an interesting thing here. Was talking to a friend today, and he though a potential theme for a Labour synoptic question could be this:

To what extent did Labour put gaining political power/success before ideology? Either in the period 1924-64 or just 1924-51?

Just a thought :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
I was tempted to do that as well, but the decided to revise it anyway. To be honest, you would be unlucky to be unable to dodge it, as it came up last time. BUT, a) is it worth it, and b) you could get a really awkward question on a topic you thought was ok.

EDIT: Also, an interesting thing here. Was talking to a friend today, and he though a potential theme for a Labour synoptic question could be this:

To what extent did Labour put gaining political power/success before ideology? Either in the period 1924-64 or just 1924-51?

Just a thought :smile:

That's one I'm going to be writing tonight actually (well, "did Labour let down its supporters?" which is pretty much the same thing. It could even be argued against Tory domination which would be a pretty good synoptic q.
Reply 59
I think the questions will will based upon on Labour and 30's based upon the two Tory questions and DLG questions last year
However I think a really great synoptic question would be Conservative dominance? with loads to talk about and you could a form a good argument.
What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending